Khaines

Couple injured disembarking Barfleur

Couple injured disembarking Barfleur.  Story is a few days old now, forgot to put it up.  There is an update in todays paper with footage, but not online yet, will post when it is. Was an elderly couple in a blue car crashing into barriers.  They were well looked after by BF.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17815753.pair-injured-car-disembarking-barfleur-ferry-poole/

Edited by Khaines

Dear oh dear - lucky the railings were there.  And how fast were they driving across the ramp for such a collision to cause injury?! 🙄

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Dear oh dear - lucky the railings were there.  And how fast were they driving across the ramp for such a collision to cause injury?! 🙄

Story today in the printed Echo say that it was an elderly couple in a blue Mini driving off like Lewis Hamilton on the starting grid..

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Story today in the printed Echo say that it was an elderly couple in a blue Mini driving off like Lewis Hamilton on the starting grid..

Except Lewis Hamilton usually manages to drive straight!

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Couple injured disembarking Barfleur.  Story is a few days old now, forgot to put it up.  There is an update in todays paper with footage, but not online yet, will post when it is. Was an elderly couple in a blue car crashing into barriers.  They were well looked after by BF.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17815753.pair-injured-car-disembarking-barfleur-ferry-poole/

They've got a lot of sympathy in the comments, not.  You do wonder about some drivers on the road, we all make mistakes but some times it's just plain stupid.

6 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

attempt to claim compensation. 

If that's true then you can't help wondering whether it was deliberate.

Thanks Brigitte.  An angle on the saga that this photo brings into the scenario is the possibility of being dazzled by the setting sun.  On the other hand, the other drivers seemed to manage.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

If that's true then you can't help wondering whether it was deliberate.

I've seen incidents like this loads of times. I once witnessed the slightest bump between 2 cars on a quiet(ish) road, when I went back a few minutes later, the fire brigade were there taking the roof off one of the cars. I even took photos for the Portsmouth News at the time.

2 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I've seen incidents like this loads of times.

Linked to compensation claims?

So, possible factors that may (some or all) have been at play:

1.  In a rush to get off (perhaps exacerbated by perceived slowness of unloading).

2.  Alcohol consumption during crossing.

3.  Sight of railing hampered by sun.

4.  Hit wrong pedal when railing finally seen.

Have to say, I hadn’t appreciated how narrow the upper linkspan at Poole 3 is.  You don’t often see single-width linkspans these days - I thought Newhaven was the only one still around.

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Linked to compensation claims?

The bump was genuine but certainly did not warrant the Emergency Services turnout, I gave a statement to the police when they turned up. I believe the claim wasn't accepted.

One further observation - which may or may not be of any relevance - the rear number plate of the vehicle appears like it might be white rather than yellow (but hard to tell).  If that’s the case, can we deduce that the vehicle was French rather than British?

French or not, it certainly doesn't look like a Mini to me. An Audi, Skoda or VW Golf would be my guess or perhaps a Hyundai. The plates do seem to be white so possibly a French driver unfamiliar with the process of disembarkation or simply confused by the pedals. Whatever the reason, they chose to pay top dollar to travel on Barfleur so clearly not the world's brightest cookie. Ed. 

• Haha 1

A similar thing happened near where I stay on Melrose high street old guy realised he was going the wrong way up a one way street slammed the brakes on car was in reverse but he hit the accelerator by mistake  reverses at top speed pinning a young couple to the hotel wall both are now double amputees it was a horrific thing to witness on a busy Saturday.

These incidents can be extremely serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

A similar thing happened near where I stay on Melrose high street old guy realised he was going the wrong way up a one way street slammed the brakes on car was in reverse but he hit the accelerator by mistake  reverses at top speed pinning a young couple to the hotel wall both are now double amputees it was a horrific thing to witness on a busy Saturday.

These incidents can be extremely serious.

Happened in Poole before, although not on a ferry.  Cars have had their faces washed in the Harbour or in worse circumstances taken a whole bath.  Probably due to too much accelerator and often elderly.  Think one has ended up in Poole Park Lake as well.  Suppose it looks funny to some in photos, but very serious and very frightening to those involved.  I always hate being driven onto Barfleur on the port bus, going over the ramp always gives me heebeegeebees.  

Edited by Khaines

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

One further observation - which may or may not be of any relevance - the rear number plate of the vehicle appears like it might be white rather than yellow (but hard to tell).  If that’s the case, can we deduce that the vehicle was French rather than British?

Pretty much all European countries except the UK have plates with a white background, could  have been an agitated German running a few minutes   late .

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Pretty much all European countries except the UK have plates with a white background, could  have been an agitated German running a few minutes   late .

And NL - they have yellow plates.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

They certainly weren't Dutch as every single last one of them is here in the Dordogne! Ed.

The holidaying Dutch in France are fascinating to watch.

Typically they arrive in a Mazda or some PSA-made car. Setup Tent. Put chairs outside tent. Then it's chocolate sprinkles in the morning. Sit outside tent for whole day. Heineken or Amstel in the evening. Rinse, wash, repeat for two weeks. The said tent is taken down and it's back on autoroute back home to Utrecht. Hup Holland...

• Haha 1

Down here they all seem to have Teslas and, strangely, no bikes, but having tried cycling round here this week I can understand why. Ed. 

5 hours ago, zuludelta said:

The holidaying Dutch in France are fascinating to watch.

Typically they arrive in a Mazda or some PSA-made car. Setup Tent. Put chairs outside tent. Then it's chocolate sprinkles in the morning. Sit outside tent for whole day. Heineken or Amstel in the evening. Rinse, wash, repeat for two weeks. The said tent is taken down and it's back on autoroute back home to Utrecht. Hup Holland...

Around here, they say that the Dutch bring their own spuds with them ........... and take back the peelings !!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

They certainly weren't Dutch as every single last one of them is here in the Dordogne! Ed.

I was up the back of where I live for a run  fairly remote part of Scotland on a fairly obscure path stopped for a quick pee just as I was about to begin a Dutch couple came round the corner, they get everywhere it would seem.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Haha 1