Sign in to follow this  
Solo

Drinking on ferries.

Some previous neighbours of ours, when I asked if they had had a nice holiday, responded that they had drunk loads and got really drunk, so it had been a good holiday. I have always felt it very sad when people’s measurement of how good a time they had was how drunk they got - and thereby probably forgetting a fair amount of what happened, which rather defeats the object of going away in my mind!

Personally, my husband and I might have a glass or two of wine (no more) on the ferry, but that tends to be at lunchtime on the return leg, as we tend to get the overnight out, so getting a reasonable amount of sleep before the early morning start is the priority. I agree with Straightfeed that it is particularly stupid to drink a lot just before complicated driving. Also, French Gendarmes, unlike our British Police, do not need any reason to stop motorists for a vehicle and breath test. They can set up and play any time they feel like, and frequently do

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Has anyone ever seen the French (or UK) immigration service pull someone aside for a breath test after disembarkation? 

I have regularly seen drivers, mostly commercial, having a nice chat with Special Branch and being invited to remain on the port until they have sobered up. In some cases the invitation was not taken up and as soon as the vehicle attempted to leave the port the driver gets to spend some quality time with SB.  I've also seen French, Belgium, Spanish and Irish Police detain drivers. So it does happen.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Timmy said:

I have regularly seen drivers, mostly commercial, having a nice chat with Special Branch and being invited to remain on the port until they have sobered up. In some cases the invitation was not taken up and as soon as the vehicle attempted to leave the port the driver gets to spend some quality time with SB.  I've also seen French, Belgium, Spanish and Irish Police detain drivers. So it does happen.

A few years back as we entered Roscoff for an afternoon crossing,  the Gendarmes had set up a checkpoint on the entrance slip road, checking all driving licences and breathalyzing all  drivers. I guess they were looking for Brits who had overdone the wine with their pre-voyage meal in a Roscoff restaurant. I blew zero saving my alcohol consumption to complement  the on board meal.  Never seen this again though, however these days there are always some Gendarme wandering around the check-in queues giving everyone the evil eye.which is reassuring.,