The Ferry Man

P&O Tilbury - Calais (new route)

Lovely bit of ferry history. £5 in the 60’s must be around £70-£80 in today’s money? If so that seems more than competitive by today’s standards, and a free lavish feast for the ladies too! I really hadn’t realised that Stena had any interest in UK ferries in the 1960’s either. Very informative.

On 03/09/2019 at 19:13, TonyMWeaver said:

P&O could be negotiating the use of the Stena Freight Vessel 'M/V Caroline Russ' on the Calais -Tilbury route. Nothing signed or confirmed .

'M/V Caroline Russ' is currently en route from Genova to Viana do Castelo In Portugal where they have a dry dock.

https://www.stenalinefreight.com/ships/Caroline-Russ

It appears the vessel for Tilbury-Calais is indeed the Caroline Russ. She is currently off Gijon and due to arrive in Calais on Tuesday.

She is the sister of the Mistral which P&O have on charter as the third ship on Liverpool-Dublin.

http://www.poferries.com/en/pr-contact/press-release/11.09.2019-P&O-Ferries-to-launch-new-freight-service-connecting-Calais-with-Tilbury-and-London

2 hours ago, Timmy said:

It appears the vessel for Tilbury-Calais is indeed the Caroline Russ. She is currently off Gijon and due to arrive in Calais on Tuesday.

She is the sister of the Mistral which P&O have on charter as the third ship on Liverpool-Dublin.

http://www.poferries.com/en/pr-contact/press-release/11.09.2019-P&O-Ferries-to-launch-new-freight-service-connecting-Calais-with-Tilbury-and-London

Nice guess, I'm getting good at this!

On 04/09/2019 at 16:00, jonno said:

Thanks Gareth, I've had a bit of read now and see that it's not dredging as such to create a new deep water channel, it's about cheap landfill to build the new logistics hub on top of Dover Marina, the new cargo terminal and a huge container berth.

Jonno

Slight correction.

Three new berths have been built at Dover as part of the ports Western Docks and Marina development.

Three berths have been completed with one berth 300m in length, this new berths is situated on the other side of the much shortened Prince of Wales Pier adjacent to the new marina. An additional berth and the main berth which has a dedicated fruit handling cargo facility replacing the current fruit terminal which is situated in the ports Eastern docks which will be demolished allowing for more freight marshalling.

There is NO ''huge container berth'' being built at the Port of Dover.

The Port of Dover have several videos on YouTube showing the completed berths and marina development plus many images and further information is available on their website.

On 16/09/2019 at 01:29, canberra97 said:

The Port of Dover have several videos on YouTube showing the completed berths and marina development plus many images and further information is available on their website.

Yep I've looked at their 2045 master plans on several occasions... I agree that the term huge wasn't the right adjective, I was referring more to the tonnage totals the port handles now and what they forecast in the future.

When we consider the size of Felixstowe and see that in 2018 it handled 28 million tonnes compared to Dover's 25 million I suppose size isn't everything.

• Like 1

Well, that’s you corrected hey Jonno! 🤣

Thanks for the info, very informative. 😉

When the redevelopment of Western Docks was first in the pipeline, the plan was to create a new ferry port with circa 4 berths, to take the pressure off Eastern.  I presume that is not now happening (?).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Well, that’s you corrected hey Jonno! 🤣

Thanks for the info, very informative. 😉

When the redevelopment of Western Docks was first in the pipeline, the plan was to create a new ferry port with circa 4 berths, to take the pressure off Eastern.  I presume that is not now happening (?).

Oh aye...!

You're right. Dover cancelled Terminal two over ten years ago, it's where the western docks revival is taking place. I think the plan now is to give the existing berths more manoeuvring room within the harbour.

POD reckon that freight will be their overriding activity and are expecting a 40% increase over the next ten years. They've built a freight segregation zone capable of handling 220 HGV's at any one time and there's more planned for the A20. It's interesting that the EU are still happy to foot the £85m bill for it regardless of what happens.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jonno said:

POD reckon that freight will be their overriding activity and are expecting a 40% increase over the next ten years. They've built a freight segregation zone capable of handling 220 HGV's at any one time and there's more planned for the A20. It's interesting that the EU are still happy to foot the £85m bill for it regardless of what happens.

That scheme was completed several years ago, before the referendum. Dover has made no notable infrastructure improvements ahead of us leaving the EU although they occasionally claim to be prepared. Delays at Calais may be the bigger problem although they've at least thrown some money at it.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 19:07, hhvferry said:

That scheme was completed several years ago, before the referendum. Dover has made no notable infrastructure improvements ahead of us leaving the EU although they occasionally claim to be prepared. Delays at Calais may be the bigger problem although they've at least thrown some money at it.

Sounds a bit like Holyhead.  Nothing of note has happened there either.  Dublin has customs inspection points and a holding area for them (which has ate in to the marshalling space from what I can gather).

The Pilots serving the Caroline Russ are telling me she travelling with very light loads. This is apparent every time I see her, she is never near her load line and I seldom see any trailers on her upper deck. It would seem P&O are taking the Brexit money and keeping schedule regardless of demand. I think I would prefer they have the money, keep her on stand-by and kick back the fuel savings to the tax payer. All whilst saving the planet a tiny bit! The crew would then get a break from the exhausting 6hr on 6hr off rotation.

Shippax are reporting that P&O have discontinued this route due to low numbers and also state that crossings were ceased before Christmas

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jonno said:

Shippax are reporting that P&O have discontinued this route due to low numbers and also state that crossings were ceased before Christmas

The Caroline Russ is laid up in Tilbury Dock, we haven't shipped or landed any pilots to/from her since before christmas, We assumed she was on christmas lay up but she never returned to the service. Numbers where always low, sometimes she was only carrying 8 or 9 trailers. It'll be interesting to see what happens after January and when numbers generally start to grow on other routes come spring. 

• Thanks 1