Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Old BF map

I was just shown an old BF map of France and Spain. I was told it dates from 15 years ago but can't find a publication date on it. It doesn't include a route to Bilbao so that should help determine its minimum age. Le Have is obviously also not included. The slogan used is 'as relaxing as being there'. Ed. 

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0688.JPG

• Like 1

Other points of interest are that it includes Poole-Cherbourg, which dates it to sometime after 1993, and it does not include Portsmouth-Cherbourg, which must take it back to around 2004 or earlier.  So we have a window of about 11 years.  The later end of that fits with your 15 years.

Portsmouth-Santander did not start until 2009, so that does not add anything new.  However, the absence of Cork-St Malo moves the earliest date to later than 1995.

With Gareth's input so far together with the font used I suggest between 1995 and 2003. Pont Aven launched the new livery in 2004.

4 hours ago, jonno said:

With Gareth's input so far together with the font used I suggest between 1995 and 2003. Pont Aven launched the new livery in 2004.

Used to pack these (remember the colour!) when I worked in the Portsmouth reservations office between 1997 and 2000, so these dates do fit. 

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I was just shown an old BF map of France and Spain. I was told it dates from 15 years ago but can't find a publication date on it. It doesn't include a route to Bilbao so that should help determine its minimum age. Le Have is obviously also not included. The slogan used is 'as relaxing as being there'. Ed. 

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0688.JPG

'As relaxing as being there' was only used on the 2000 brochure and dropped by 2001 so I would guess late 1999 or early 2000.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 08:47, Gareth said:

Other points of interest are that it includes Poole-Cherbourg, which dates it to sometime after 1993

Why 1993?  The Truckline passenger service was normally included in brochures and publications from 1986 and Brittany Ferries produced guides and maps were handed out to Truckline passengers in the late 80's/early90's before they got stingy and stopped giving out so much free stuff.

On 16/08/2019 at 09:02, Gareth said:

Portsmouth-Santander did not start until 2009, so that does not add anything new.  However, the absence of Cork-St Malo moves the earliest date to later than 1995.

1993 for Portsmouth-Santander as a winter only service and that did appear on maps and ship guides (which with the Cork/Poole-St Malo routes made the mini-map on that look incredibly crowded!)

The logo on the map ceased to be used in late 2002 when the one before the current one started to be used but didn't start appearing on the ships until 2004 with Pont-Aven, Condor Vitesse and Coutances gaining it that year.

Late 1999 or early 2000 as suggested by quibby looks to be the best bet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like we are all singing from the same hymn sheet then.

I could start talking about the fact that this is clearly a BF map (and not a “routes associated with BF map) by virtue of the absence of Channel Island routes on it.  But having already established that we are talking about the post-Duchesse Anne era, and that we are all agreed we are talking about 1999-2000, there is no point.

Another consideration is the fact that the logo was almost always displayed on promotional literature in the 'oval shape' (and, as Le Quiberon pointed out, with the 'The Holiday Fleet' slogan) before the year 2000 when they trialled the new slogan. IIRC in 2001/2002 they started using the oval shape again but with a blue line underneath rather than a slogan. They then adopted the italics logo late 2002.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I could start talking about the fact that this is clearly a BF map (and not a “routes associated with BF map) by virtue of the absence of Channel Island routes on it. 

Not really sure I'm getting your point as from your earlier post you said Poole-Cherbourg wouldn't be on BF map until 1993 but if you class Truckline Poole-Cherbourg as one of the "routes associated with BF" then it wouldn't appear on anything BF until 1999 yet it appears on pretty much everything even the 1989ish toy truck they sold onboard.

Not going to get into this any further.  I’ve contributed to this thread to try to be helpful, not to get into an argument.

If what I’ve contributed has been helpful to Ed then great.  If not then fine.  He can take it or leave it.

8 hours ago, hhvferry said:

What does it say in the blurb which should give the copyright date of the map itself?

image.png.14a3b4eabd5cd7376c96dc0798ffa58c.png

Sorry. I no longer have access to the original now. Anyway, thanks for all the contributions. It seems that the 15 years I was quoted is a little out and 20 years is more likely. Ed. 

• Like 1