Paully

Summer 2020 bookings

Just the same grading as everyone else really but at least with BF you don't have to stump up all of the money at the time of booking for standard & flexi. 

1 minute ago, jonno said:

Just the same grading as everyone else really but at least with BF you don't have to stump up all of the money at the time of booking for standard & flexi. 

Seems similar to Stena and to a lesser extent P&O as they include cabins etc in their premium but DFDS are still one ticket type as far as I know.

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Seems similar to Stena and to a lesser extent P&O as they include cabins etc in their premium but DFDS are still one ticket type as far as I know.

Yeah you're right Neil, Pearl Seaways was a single cost option, with P&O's premium I think the throw breakfast in as well?

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

Yeah you're right Neil, Pearl Seaways was a single cost option, with P&O's premium I think the throw breakfast in as well?

Food and better cabins on the premium on P&O premium to Zeebrugee not sure about Stena only booked to Belfast so no food or cabins really needed.

Did they really need to make it any more complicated?

Perhaps they could have a fourth category - pot luck - you bid for a ticket and the highest offer gets the place but the catch is they don't tell you which ship you'll be travelling on (because they don't know themselves). It would be fun! Ed

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Did they really need to make it any more complicated?

Perhaps they could have a fourth category - pot luck - you bid for a ticket and the highest offer gets the place but the catch is they don't tell you which ship you'll be travelling on (because they don't know themselves). It would be fun! Ed

P&O have four ticket types and it seems more complicated than BF (I thought it was 3 types)

http://www.poferries.com/en/hull-rotterdam/travelling-with-us/ticket-types

The thing is that on P&O even the basic package gives you a cabin so if you don't need anything else you pay no more. On BF that basic price only gets you on board and then you have to add supplements. If they can justify that the old pricing system wasn't working then it makes sense to change it but I think most people managed to understand it pretty well. Ed. 

31 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Food and better cabins on the premium on P&O premium to Zeebrugee not sure about Stena only booked to Belfast so no food or cabins really needed.

We did the premium to Rotterdam last December but can't remember the food arrangements apart from the usual buffet set up... couldn't believe how cheap their refurbed suites were, less than £200 and the portside one even has a bath tub.

I think the wording  could have been better …..  Saver/Standard/Premium?

I also thought that as a CV member you got 'free' amendments at one time - when did that perk go?  (I haven't had to make an amendment for a long time)

5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

But you have to have a cabin on the Hull sailings unlike BF sailings where a lot of the time it’s not needed.

True, but that actually simplifies the matter. You know what you are getting in the price displayed. Each class of cabin is each a single price band. You can't mix and match. On BF you could take the Economy ticket but add a Commodore Class cabin meaning the final price could be double or triple the initial estimate. Plus, as mentioned above, you might then have to play around with the permutations to find the best combination.

Let's see how it goes down on Wednesday. I can see now why they decided to stagger the timetables. New summer season, new ship (hopefully), new fare structure and, inevitably, new Twitter rants. Ed. 

A lot will depend on the prices they are going to charge...mess that up, and BF appear capable of that these days, then Tesco vouchers and the tunnel, not to mention Dieppe routes will start to eat their lunch..

Wednesday will be watched closely by many

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Economy not to be confused with Economie.  (At least while the latter lasts).

And neither of which are to be confused with anything resembling a good value offer. Ed. 

Not sure if this is 100% relevant but I tried a dummy booking this morning for a crossing already booked for April 2020. For you wanting a doggy cabin and are club voyage members make sure you have your password ready. I cannot remember being asked for this before on the booking site (it took me a while to find it). As an aside we booked on the 27/09/2019. As of this morning the price had increased by £60. Is the new site being used to hide a price increase

A few observations. 

First, the process is very simple and painless. 

Second, there are not really three fare types. There is a basic price, which is cheaper than the old fare, to which you can then add different levels of cancellation/modification protection (neither of which boost the onboard experience in the way P&O's do), the first of which (£10) brings the price more or less in line with last year's rates and the second of which (£10) makes it more expensive. That explains the second band being described as 'our most popular' as it's what they've sold up to now. 

Third, the French website had not been updated yet in terms of look but the new timetables are available.  However there is no three-band option! Only one price.  And guess which one? The highest it wound seem. A classic foot passenger single on NEX has jumped from €45 to €55 but our terms and conditions have not changed. so we are paying more (the equivalent of the top band) for the same conditions as you get in band two.  I'll have to check other permutations as there might be some off-peak trips that are cheaper than before but for my preferred route it looks depressingly like they've upped the price. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Ed - can't you use the British site if you want

Yes I can, of course, and given the recent favourable exchange rates have done, but that doesn't always work in my favour if the balance is taken at a later date. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

6 minutes ago, Geezer said:

50% deposit !!!  ... that's a bit steep .... 1400euro Cork/Roscoff for July and they're wanting half of it now..... was only 25% last year.

Yep I booked Flexi primarily for the lower deposit.

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes I can, of course, and given the recent favourable exchange rates have done, but that doesn't always work in my favour if the balance is taken at a later date. Ed. 

You can now benefit by using Economy and fixing the rate !

I see that the website is now displaying the standard features for day 1 of the timetable (ie down) , however the error messages get even more technical - It now says socket timeout.

The early bird definitely got the bookings today - I even managed to get my cabin switched using a DM as well !

• Haha 1