Paully

Summer 2020 bookings

Crashes repeatedly since about 08.00 today and now when I thought I was getting somewhere I got a message back saying I couldn't book what I wanted on line, something I've never seen before.

Currently on hold to book Portsmouth to Caen but thinking about DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe which I can book on line and it's about half the price and Dieppe is equally suitable for my destination.

2 minutes ago, philduncan said:

Crashes repeatedly since about 08.00 today and now when I thought I was getting somewhere I got a message back saying I couldn't book what I wanted on line, something I've never seen before.

Currently on hold to book Portsmouth to Caen but thinking about DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe which I can book on line and it's about half the price and Dieppe is equally suitable for my destination.

Half the price !!!!! it's a no brainer .... do it.

14 minutes ago, philduncan said:

Not casting aspersions, please don't think so, but if you are over 60 or registered disabled or anyone with a student card

or anyone that is, don't book on line..Ring DFDS call centre and you get 20% off the crossing..only available by phone

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paully said:

Not casting aspersions, please don't think so, but if you are over 60 or registered disabled or anyone with a student card

or anyone that is, don't book on line..Ring DFDS call centre and you get 20% off the crossing..only available by phone

Thank you I didn't know that, I will be 60 by the time we travel so now a lot cheaper than BF! They lose yet another customer.

<Quote Redacted>

Probably about 100 including agency people would be involved in the design and running of an enterprise website, so I very much doubt it would be 1 person.

<Quote Redacted>

Let's face it every website crashes when to many people try to use them, try booking tickets online, try voting online for tv shows.  IT people can say what they like, the systems they provide can not handle the volume when there's a rush, until they can sort that out they should stop pushing people online, don't the bosses realise that.  Employ more people in the call centre until systems are up to the job.

58 minutes ago, wortley said:

You are all getting me worried.   Will Armorique be fully booked for the whole of May when I get round to booking next Easter? 

I’m starting to wonder whether BF might be adopting an approach in which ship space is being sold a bit at a time, with other bits of space kept in reserve for later bookings?  Then the impression is created early on of ship filling up (encouraging people to get their bookings made) whilst still keeping space available for later bookings?

Also, it is possible that some space is being reserved for guaranteed space for HMG for the post-EU departure contracts.

The only way I can see that BF can avoid this type of situation is to stagger the release of dates even more than they have already done. What they could have done is released the rest of April's and all of May's dates on Monday for ex-UK outbound crossings with a free choice of returns at any time up to October. The return dates being bookable only as part of a package in conjucntion with an April or May departure. Then on Tuesday release the June departures with the same rules. On Wednesday those for July, on Thursday those for August (by which time the number of permutations is lower and the booking algorithm doesn't need to load so many potential dates) and on Friday those for September and October. That way the website and call centre can handle the load better and it spreads the demand over several days but no-one loses out. They would have to suspend bookings on the French/Irish and Spanish sites for those dates until the the following weekend to allow UK passengers (who represent something like 80% of customers anyway) to get their reservations sorted out and after that it's just a free-for-all situation. Ed

Oh no! I've been locked out-

we encounter problems. please try later. Maximum number of sessions per origin IP reached. (65)

I may have clicked 65 times but not 65 separate sessions for Gods sake. I did manage one ticket but that slipped through the system until I realised I had an email with a ticket attached. The web page crashed on payment.

I don't care how many times my IP address has been used. All I want is another ticket not some moronic computer telling me to go away. Keep that cr*p to yourselves BF.

SFD

still.png.822fb604700736eac800c7e1901c76b8.png

What a hopeless website, BF put the message up twice, not me.  I never got as far as choosing a cabin this time.   

I do hope  Joëlle Croc  Sales and Customer Experience Director is aware.

She has never responded to emails unlike Mike Bevens, but that was before Paris based management consultancy Quaternaire took the helm.>:(

Edited by BZH29

Understanding the frustrations some people are having (and seriously, are you all booking or just having a play?) I've removed a set of comments earlier that were fairly insulting to those they were aimed at (although, I see they were already quoted). Be nice, or don't post. Simple.

As hf_uk alludes to, it's probably not as simple as armchair commentators would think and there's a significant difference between a website one person can knock up -v- an integrated enterprise solution. Yes, it seems there are issues - but I'd be willing to bet there's also a team of people working flat out to try and solve them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wortley said:

You are all getting me worried.   Will Armorique be fully booked for the whole of May when I get round to booking next Easter? 

I tried Ply-Ros for early August. After a few moments all "sailings full" appeared. Then they were showing prices!

I then just got right through to click pay for 2 different tickets and up came another gotcher- start again. I'll see what appears in my inbox tomorrow.

Depressed.

Stu

7 hours ago, Paully said:

Yup that damn dog race has taken its toll...

My Border Terrier has been doing some digging into the issue.  Apparently, it's not the booking engine (aka the BF Abacus), but all those pampered pooches (described by Cabin-boy earlier) sitting in front of touch screens, refreshing the page with damp noses and drooling over the targeted ads from Google of Bonio dog biscuits as they wait to bark Pavlov-like as the Timetables come online, causing a huge amount of static to be transmitted down-the-line which overheated the twisted pair wiring into the BF K9 servers.

On a more positive note, the sales of Bonio have gone through the woof !!

• Haha 3

Am slightly wondering though, exactly how many people are booking today? Just because the sailings are online, are there that many people actually booking today?

(OK I booked today, but very unsual, normally don;t have plans until few weeks before hand, its just I have part holiday, part event meaning dates are somewhat set)

49 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Am slightly wondering though, exactly how many people are booking today? Just because the sailings are online, are there that many people actually booking today?

(OK I booked today, but very unsual, normally don;t have plans until few weeks before hand, its just I have part holiday, part event meaning dates are somewhat set)

My understanding is the amount is genuinely unprecedented and it has been an incredibly busy day at BF towers.

24 minutes ago, scarlton said:

My understanding is the amount is genuinely unprecedented and it has been an incredibly busy day at BF towers.

Could that on itself be a problem of BF's own making? By releasing the fares and timetables so late maybe it's caused a build-up of people wishing to book for next year. 

I had my holiday in August and have been itching to book my crossings for next August from the moment I arrived home. 

I managed to book mine at around 1.30 today, I had been trying for about an hour prior but didn't see the point in trying to ring BF or complain online because I figured they'd be too busy handling all the other complaints. Didn't the same thing happen last year when the Summer sailings were released?

21 minutes ago, chid679 said:

Could that on itself be a problem of BF's own making? By releasing the fares and timetables so late maybe it's caused a build-up of people wishing to book for next year.

Possibly, could have possibly been worse with a larger window of people looking to book. Who knows.

I was thinking that too - it’s an obvious explanation.  And, presumably, also a one-off, as the circumstances this year that required the delay are unlikely to be replicated next year.