Paully

Summer 2020 bookings

14 hours ago, auchmill said:

My Border Terrier has been doing some digging into the issue.  Apparently, it's not the booking engine (aka the BF Abacus), but all those pampered pooches (described by Cabin-boy earlier) sitting in front of touch screens, refreshing the page with damp noses and drooling over the targeted ads from Google of Bonio dog biscuits as they wait to bark Pavlov-like as the Timetables come online, causing a huge amount of static to be transmitted down-the-line which overheated the twisted pair wiring into the BF K9 servers.

On a more positive note, the sales of Bonio have gone through the woof !!

This is precisely why our Border Terrier (aka The Pint Sized Dictator) has had his iPawd confiscated.

• Haha 3

To be honest we always get chaos on the day of a new season's bookings where demand is very high for limited products (Dog & Commodore cabins to Spain)

I booked a Commodore cabin on a Spanish route at the start of the day, by the end of the day there were no cabins left and the price had gone up £50.

I believe that the only answer is to spread the demand, the airlines do this by releasing flights a fixed number of days in advance of the flights so that the demand is spread. That would work well with the BF concept of singles not costing more than returns and flexi tickets not being that much more expensive.

There are other ways of spreading the demand like Club Voyage being able to book a few days in advance of release  (I like that one) or splitting the routes into groups and releasing them separately.

Upgrading the website to cope with one or two days a year would be expensive and would not solve the call centre issue,.

Edited by David Williams

Personally I think it’s been an absolute and utter shambles, BF seem to have been totally left wanting in all booking areas , website crashing, call centre completely snowed under and mistakes with the new booking process, having said that I’m sure lessons have been learned they better have, I’ve lost count of the amount of apologies from the good social media team you can’t leave that many customers (ex customers) unhappy and continue as a viable business.

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Personally I think it’s been an absolute and utter shambles, BF seem to have been totally left wanting in all booking areas , website crashing, call centre completely snowed under and mistakes with the new booking process, having said that I’m sure lessons have been learned they better have, I’ve lost count of the amount of apologies from the good social media team you can’t leave that many customers (ex customers) unhappy and continue as a viable business.

Sad to say this is normal (apart from the new booking process) when substantially larger numbers than normal swamp the system (call centre / web), BA have far larger resources than BF and could not cope when they cancelled large numbers of flights at the same time in the recent pilots strike.

Just now, David Williams said:

Sad to say this is normal (apart from the new booking process) when substantially larger numbers than normal swamp the system (call centre / web), BA have far larger resources than BF and could not cope when they cancelled large numbers of flights at the same time in the recent pilots strike.

It’s how you deal with the issue that matters, hopefully BF will deal with it better than the average travel company.

22 minutes ago, David Williams said:

To be honest we always get chaos on the day of a new season's bookings where demand is very high for limited products (Dog & Commodore cabins to Spain)

I booked a Commodore cabin on a Spanish route at the start of the day, by the end of the day there were no cabins left and the price had gone up £50.

I believe that the only answer is to spread the demand, the airlines do this by releasing flights a fixed number of days in advance of the flights so that the demand is spread. That would work well with the BF concept of singles not costing more than returns and flexi tickets not being that much more expensive.

There are other ways of spreading the demand like Club Voyage being able to book a few days in advance of release  (I like that one) or splitting the routes into groups and releasing them separately.

Upgrading the website to cope with one or two days a year would be expensive and would not solve the call centre issue,.

That's more or less along the lines of what I suggested yesterday. There is no point saying 'sorry' each time it happens but it then doing nothing to rectify the underlying causes. Just imagine what will happen if they take over at Condor. They'll then have a whole new bunch of unsympathetic customers to deal with who will be equally intolerant of such incompetence. Ed. 

• Like 1

Just now, David Williams said:

So is that 'great minds think alike' or 'fools rarely differ' ?

You tell me. But if I can come up with it over a sandwich in the office, and you can see the logic at the breakfast table, surely the collective brains at BF Towers must be able to work out something better than yesterday's embarrassing shambles. Ed. 

The Caravan and Motorhome Club used to release bookings for its sites for the next summer (April on) on a specified day early in December.  Result - chaos with crashed website, a saturated booking centre and very angry members!  Now it releases bookings early each month for the month 12 months in advance in a rolling programme.  Result - much happier members.

Not the same scale and a somewhat different evolving environment, I know, but big fish can learn from minnows.

Edited by Malc
more thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Well I booked Flexi primarily for the low 25% deposit and BF have taken the entire amount today!! A wee bit miffed to say the least.

Now that is something that really shouldn't happen if things are set up properly. 

• Like 2

Just now, Millsy said:

Now that is something that really shouldn't happen if things are set up properly. 

Quite. There's a line between having a dodgy website and taking money which you're not, by your own rules, entitled to.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully it will be sorted today as BF have indicated it will be , but it shouldn’t have happened, luckily I put all my travel spending on a credit card (for extra security) so it’s not pending on my bank account the day before payday.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

You tell me. But if I can come up with it over a sandwich in the office, and you can see the logic at the breakfast table, surely the collective brains at BF Towers must be able to work out something better than yesterday's embarrassing shambles. Ed. 

Yesterday's embarrassing shambles continues today. I still can't make any bookings.

31 minutes ago, kendl said:

Trying to make a change to our booking. Now 50 minutes and counting on hold. And it's the same D**m song that they keep playing!

I hope it's not the wake up tune. Ed. 

I've probably mentioned this before but I am reminded of a saying of the late Billy Cotton - "When Mrs Jones of Wigan comes along to my band show she expects a band show and not a hard-luck story." BF has sadly joined that pantheon of companies who think nothing of making the customer wait...and wait.....and wait....and wait.. and think an apology is enough.

Awake at 4am having a cuppa and a thought came into my head. No, not the naughty stuff, I've just come out of that dream.

Now calmed down after a good rest maybe try to book me thinks.

Steady nerves, deep breath and away we go. No losing my nerve  now.

Click away very slowly allowing a few seconds or two for the old BF 'puter to react at each click.
Steady man, nearly rushed it once or twice. Slowly,slowly does it (like accessing the Deepartment of Deeefence as they say)

Come to pay,will it shut me down? Hands sweaty. NO, I'VE ONLY GONE AND  DUN IT. 

I HAVE A TICKET HOUSTON.

Stu

• Haha 1

Spoken to a very helpful French lad named Mark at BF. He explained that many of the problems are being caused by bookings being made across both timetables, winter & summer due to the new pricing not beginning until April 22nd.

Our first booking had to be completed separately due to travelling out 18/04 and returning 25/04, two reference numbers, two deposits and only the 2nd using the new Flexi tariff. It seems the website warriors didn't consider this meaning the bookings are refused and default to saying please ring.

Our 2nd booking for July was very straightforward.

Got my issue with the deposit sorted out, it was because my card expired before the balance was due something that should have been flagged up in the booking process automatically, I’m sure BF have added it to the list of things to fix now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, neilcvx said:

Got my issue with the deposit sorted out, it was because my card expired before the balance was due something that should have been flagged up in the booking process automatically, I’m sure BF have added it to the list of things to fix now.

Nice one Neil... I wonder if it'll reject bookings made by those whose Club Voyage expires prior to travelling?

1 minute ago, jonno said:

Nice one Neil... I wonder if it'll reject bookings made by those whose Club Voyage expires prior to travelling?

No, it just says if you don't renew we will charge you extra - it has always done that.

image.png.038eaec1536b2bdbb35dd4e2f5d8da05.png

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

Mines expires before the trip finishes.

19 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Strange  - it flagged mine up, saying it would either pay all, select another card, or ring up to use that card for the deposit