Sign in to follow this  
MichaelBF

Suspected Illegal Immigrants from Roscoff Ferry

Well, I’d say concerning for a number of reasons, but let’s start with the fact that they were both able to get on the ferry and able to get ashore and through immigration control at the UK end.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Well, I’d say concerning for a number of reasons, but let’s start with the fact that they were both able to get on the ferry and able to get ashore and through immigration control at the UK end.

At the end of the day, it's 6 people. It might be of more concern if every other person who tried to get to the UK was found but that is never going to be the case. The great majority trying to come here carry no risk to anyone what so ever. The same cannot always be said of some people who have spent all their lives here.

• Like 1

Thats the second group in seven days.  Two chaps were caught on 11th August. 

Very sad that the need to escape from their own country and travel all the way to the UK.

Surprising that these blokes weren't detected at Roscoff. We've used Roscoff-Cork twice this year and security checks were very extensive even for cars and motorhomes. Lorries were all given a thorough check (inside & out). Can only think that security is stretched on busy sailings.

• Like 1

Yes, with all the security now in place it is surprising they got as far as they did.  Especially so many of them in one incident.  Three if them are still on the run in the UK.

I don’t share the implied cynicism towards the professionalism of the French authorities conveyed by previous posters. They have a job to do, and they do it very conscientiously.  I agree, BDW1946, that there must have been some reason these ones slipped through the system, and I hope they manage to trace what happened in this case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I don’t share the implied cynicism towards the professionalism of the French authorities conveyed by previous posters. They have a job to do, and they do it very conscientiously.

Perhaps they were simply busy ironing their uniforms as 'des' said in another thread and missed this lot.

Ed

I'm afraid this is just the tip of the iceberg and although some may view it as "concerning" I"m pretty sure it's happening on a regular basis, and those organizing these operations are getting more sophisticated (and violent) by the day. Only last week an Irish trucker was telling me how he turned up here in Cherbourg recently and the police ordered him to check his vehicle for signs of tampering. All seemd fine until he realised the padlock on the rear doors was the wrong way around, put on by a left handed person and he was right handed. He summoned them to open up and there were 18 Albanians huddled amongst pallets of Yoghurt for a well-known supermarket chain - there were men, women and children. Someone had drilled out the security locks and seal and put it all back in exactly the same position as before, just the inverted padlock as evidence of false entry. Because they had shall we say extensively soiled inside the trailor the complete load was refused at a considerable cost to the haulier, but the driver was allowed free.

Criminals are making huge sums of money out of these poor people, it's totally wrong but even a whole army of customs officers can't stop this happening completely.

In the past drivers only had to be vigilant around the channel ports, now motorway service stations on main routes heading north are being targetted throughout France, especially trailers with UK or IE registration numbers.

Chris

• Like 2

Just now, nottingham said:

I have never understood the attraction of the UK over other EU countries - is the UK just a 'soft touch'?

I agree.  But I’m pretty sure it’s because of the perceived generosity of our social security system.  Whether they are right or wrong (which I won’t get into because it is beyond what this thread is about), the belief is that in the UK the state will look after them.

• Like 1

If they just drop them out in Millbay or Union Street, instead of letting them try to get out of the city and head towards PL3 & the expressway, then they would soon return, mistakenly thinking they had been put on some kind of 'sea poverty safari" :/

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, with all the security now in place it is surprising they got as far as they did.  Especially so many of them in one incident.  Three if them are still on the run in the UK.

I don’t share the implied cynicism towards the professionalism of the French authorities conveyed by previous posters. They have a job to do, and they do it very conscientiously.  I agree, BDW1946, that there must have been some reason these ones slipped through the system, and I hope they manage to trace what happened in this case.

I think the second bit here is important. I am certain the French will equally get into trouble for failure to identify these individuals French side, and I am hopeful a swift investigation is undertook to understand what happened in this instance. I have always found the French to be among the most professional and will take every step to ensure all procedures are followed.