Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Don't take sand or pebbles home with you

You may have seen this report on the BBC website. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49394828

Last night on French TV news there was a more detailed discussion about the problem and apparently Etretat beach losses an average of 400kg of pebbles per day. The local police can now fine you 1,500€ if you pocket a stone while on the beach. Ed. 

It used to be encouraged at Alum Bay in the Isle of Wight but no longer the case although you can still fill supplied souvenir containers with sand collected from cliff falls. When I was a child no IoW holiday was complete without bringing back an Alum Bay pencil with glass 🙄 top filled with multi coloured sand.

24 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

It used to be encouraged at Alum Bay in the Isle of Wight but no longer the case although you can still fill supplied souvenir containers with sand collected from cliff falls. When I was a child no IoW holiday was complete without bringing back an Alum Bay pencil with glass 🙄 top filled with multi coloured sand.

When I used to house-sit on the island there was a shop in Totland that sold Isle of Wight Glass, think it was called Alum Bay Glass.  Very expensive multicoloured glass trinkets.  Used to gaze in the window when going to the paper shop in the morning.  Shop long gone now, used to be on a corner at the bottom of the hill.  Think I remember a shop in Yarmouth that sold it as well.  Remember the post office/gift shop near the ferry terminal, that was great for stuff like that.  Always had a poke round there before catching one of the ferries back to Lymington.  Would have been 1990 - 1996

52 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I had something similar back in the eighties. Ed. 

Isle of Wight Glass is still going. They have a showroom and workshop at Arreton Barns Craft Centre. They aren't involved with the coloured sands though and their work is both beautiful and eyewateringly expensive!

• Like 1

You’d have thought places like Ramsgate and Newhaven would positively encourage you to take sand away!  Save them having to dredge!

Seriously though, it’s useful to be able to have something legitimate to tell my 4 year-old daughter every time she wants to bring half the beach/forest/mountain back with her whenever we go away! 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You’d have thought places like Ramsgate and Newhaven would positively encourage you to take sand away!  Save them having to dredge!

Seriously though, it’s useful to be able to have something legitimate to tell my 4 year-old daughter every time she wants to bring half the beach/forest/mountain back with her whenever we go away! 😀

If anyone does get caught, just send the fine to your kid's school teacher. Most of the time it's they who encourage this type of behaviour for a 'show and tell' class.

All I have to do now is persuade Cabin-girl that her shopping for local products (and we came beck from the Dordogne with more duck, mushroom and walnut products than is strictly necessary) is in fact looting of a natural local resource. 

Ed. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

When I used to house-sit on the island there was a shop in Totland that sold Isle of Wight Glass, think it was called Alum Bay Glass.  Very expensive multicoloured glass trinkets.  Used to gaze in the window when going to the paper shop in the morning.  Shop long gone now, used to be on a corner at the bottom of the hill.  Think I remember a shop in Yarmouth that sold it as well.  Remember the post office/gift shop near the ferry terminal, that was great for stuff like that.  Always had a poke round there before catching one of the ferries back to Lymington.  Would have been 1990 - 1996

The chap was called Michael Rayner and the glassware was very fine indeed. It was certainly there in 1979 because we bought my in-laws a very nice red  vase for their Ruby Wedding.  I think the premises are now a Fish and Chip shop. The IoW glass produced now is not of the same quality.

• Like 1