Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Cheese

39 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The combination of roquefort and the Normandy cheeses that David mentioned like livarot and pont l’eveque is just magic.  

You really have to go to Livarot the factory tour is up amongst the best factory tours I’ve been on there’s a great tasting platter you basically choose as many as you want and have a cider or apple juice chaser.

DEEAE68D-4BA8-4151-A223-27083BB6FDC0.thumb.jpeg.5f6f424478120a9d8786cb31371f8023.jpeg484386E2-7E3E-4EFF-9C2D-5208843264CC.thumb.jpeg.5121375e1e11baef424046e79eb2441f.jpeg

• Like 2

I have been on the factory tour a number of times with guests and it keeps on getting better. The best times to go are Monday to Thursday mornings as the majority of the production line is running. Even if you don't want to indulge in the platter you can still get some free tasters of the cheese.

• Like 1

I must start thinking of holding out the begging bowl to a friend of mine for a lift to the Isigny fromagerie we drove past recently.  They do tours as well.  

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

Top-tip is to store some of France's finest in a tupperware during your return sailing to minimise 'le stinky stinky' in your car for days afterwards...

• Haha 1

Second top tip: do not put Munster cheese in your motorhome fridge if you then go on a month long summer tour of Europe. 

I am still apologising to my other half for blaming his toiletting habits for the ghastly smell of stale urine.

Edited by Cassie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cassie said:

Second top tip: do not put Munster cheese in your motorhome fridge if you then go on a month long summer tour of Europe. 

I am still apologising to my other half for blaming his toiletting habits for the ghastly smell of stale urine.

I'm banned by my wife and mother-in-law from gifting my father-in-law any fromage francais due to the stench some of it has created in the fridge... 

45 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Anyone ever tried cazu marzu?

I bet not... 🤣

Having just googled it... I can confirm I have not, and have no intention of. Mind you, it's probably preferable to what they tried to class as 'Cheddar' on our last cruise (yep, that's right, it's the same colour as the orange next to it)

image.png.9e64233007d0130223e91d16a134ef12.png

1 hour ago, Jim said:

cazu marzu

It's been banned under EU health regulations due to the unsanitary methods of production and the presence of live insects. Of course the Sardinians and Corsicans have decided not to take any notice of the authorities. Whey to go! Ed. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the long post

Our friend Humphrey was a gourmet. We knew him back in the seventies and he introduced us into a love of food. In season his flat in the East End would often have a brace of pheasant hanging in the hall alongside shelves of bottled delicacies. He lived with a Canadian artist called Shirley who was an even more enthusiastic foodie than Humphrey. In the summer Shirley would run etching workshops in her house in the South of France. Humphrey would drive down to visit her during his holiday from work.

On one long drive south Humphrey stopped for lunch at a surprisingly excellent roadside restaurant. He probably ordered too much from the menu and was thoroughly sated when the cheese trolley arrived. There in the middle of a wide range of cheeses sat a cheese unlike any other. It was a rich golden colour and sat in a round wooden box. Its surface was crumbling like a piece of crazy paving with a soft, creamy filling oozing through the cracks. A faint smell of fermenting cream promised a taste of subtle richness. He asked the waiter what the name of the cheese was. The waiter informed him that it was a local speciality named after the small local town. Humphrey was in a quandary. He was too full to eat any more. He had a long drive ahead of him. If he had a portion of this magnificent cheese with a glass of red wine to wash it down he would probably have to sleep off the effects and arrive after everyone else was asleep. He then decided on a plan. He would stop on his way back and have nothing but the cheese course. He already knew that his favourite Calvet wine was on the wine list. Giving the cheese a last look Humphrey left. Taking careful note of the time it took to reach Shirley's studio he found that it was six hours.

For the rest of his holiday he spoke about the cheese often. He became a bore by mentioning the cheese at every occasion that Shirley put out a platter of cheeses at the end of every meal. At last he came to the end of his two week holiday. It was time to make the long drive back home. He carefully set his alarm clock for five o'clock. Shirley cooked a substantial breakfast and waved him off on his long journey north.

At twelve thirty Humphrey arrived at the restaurant. He waved away the menu and asked for a bottle of Calvet. After a few sips of wine he asked for the cheese trolley. Full of anticipation he licked his lips as the trolley approached his table. As it stopped by his table he noticed that the local cheese was not there. With a quivering voice he asked the waiter where was the local cheese. "Ah Monsieur, our famous local cheese is very delicate. It needs extra special handling. For this reason the maker insists that it is only served for two weeks in the year. If monsieur had only been here two days ago we were still serving the cheese."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's been banned under EU health regulations due to the unsanitary methods of production and the presence of live insects. Of course the Sardinians and Corsicans have decided not to take any notice of the authorities. Whey to go! Ed. 

A German an Italian and a French winemaker  all get a book of regulations on wine making the German looks at it  and follows it to the letter the Italian looks at and thinks that bit might be ok I will use that bit of it the French wine maker picks it up looks at and puts it under the leg that makes his dinner table wobble , and that’s a true story 😉

Edited by neilcvx
  • Haha 1

In St Malo go to Jean-Yves Bordier's shop on the Rue de l'Orme. Most famous for his own manufactured butters (Hotel George's V, Royal Yacht Squadron....), his selection of cheeses is wonderful.

My tip is Brie de Melun, distinctly tastier than you more common Brie de Meaux.

• Like 1

Talking of Livarot cheese reminds me of the gite we stayed at several times in the late 80s. It was owned by Madam Duval whose maiden name was Fromage. The local churchyard at St Michel de Livet is full of headstones of the Fromages.

• Like 1

There's a delicatessen/cafe in Selkirk (Neil may know it😉).  A couple or so years ago a wee Italian guy was "in charge" of the cheese counter and he had some interesting examples.  We had just come back from Spain, and I saw one labelled "Queso".  I said to him "I see you have some queso.  Where is it from?"  "Edinburgh" he said.  "OK", said I, not wishing to be patronising.  "Where does your Blue Stilton come from?"  "Edinburgh"  "OOKayyyy"

Not long after he simply disappeared.  None of the others in the shop knew where he went or why.  Edinburgh?

44 minutes ago, auchmill said:

There's a delicatessen/cafe in Selkirk (Neil may know it😉).  A couple or so years ago a wee Italian guy was "in charge" of the cheese counter and he had some interesting examples.  We had just come back from Spain, and I saw one labelled "Queso".  I said to him "I see you have some queso.  Where is it from?"  "Edinburgh" he said.  "OK", said I, not wishing to be patronising.  "Where does your Blue Stilton come from?"  "Edinburgh"  "OOKayyyy"

Not long after he simply disappeared.  None of the others in the shop knew where he went or why.  Edinburgh?

Maybe he just didn't like Selkirk (although I'm sure it's lovely) and said to his wife: "Ricotta get out of this place!" Ed. 

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Maybe he just didn't like Selkirk (although I'm sure it's lovely) and said to his wife: "Ricotta get out of this place!" Ed. 

I said to my wife, "I'm struggling to come up with a suitable riposte to Cabin-boy."  She said, "Well, hard cheese."

On 30/08/2019 at 07:48, auchmill said:

"....or maybe I could just rap (wrap?) it like Eminem-ental"

Come on folks! Where are you all? We can do feta than that. Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Come on folks! Where are you all? We can do feta than that. Ed. 

You`re just shooting the brie...zee

For a cheese with an aroma like fetid dingos kidneys but a taste like heaven, I go for Epoisses de Bourgogne. Won me a competition with a work colleague once, who could find the smelliest cheese.

• Haha 1

Have just driven down through France, stopping mid way in Vierzon where the hotel offers a cheese trolley with 30+ cheeses. Always a delight to taste Livarot, Pont L'Eveque, St Nectaire, etc. Just don't tell my doctor who's  cholesterol believer.