Sign in to follow this  
David Williams

Irish Ferries 2019 first half results

A very interesting document.

https://www.icg.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Half-Year-Results-2019.pdf

Loads of interesting information, a couple of extracts below re Rosslare and no update re the new build.

While the Group had planned continuing an additional summer only service out of Rosslare with the Oscar Wilde, this plan unfortunately had to be cancelled following the National Transport Authority’s interpretation of the EU Regulation covering Sea Passengers, which is especially penalising for operations out of peripheral ports like Rosslare.

In January 2018 the Group announced that it had entered into an agreement with the German company Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesselschaft & Co.KG (“FSG”) whereby FSG has agreed to build a second cruise ferry for ICG at a contract price of €165.2 million for contracted delivery in late 2020. It is intended that this vessel will service the Dublin/ Holyhead route alongside the existing Ulysses with the chartered Epsilon being returned to its owners

Edited by David Williams

24 minutes ago, David Williams said:

A very interesting document.

https://www.icg.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Half-Year-Results-2019.pdf

Loads of interesting information, a couple of extracts below re Rosslare and no update re the new build.

While the Group had planned continuing an additional summer only service out of Rosslare with the Oscar Wilde, this plan unfortunately had to be cancelled following the National Transport Authority’s interpretation of the EU Regulation covering Sea Passengers, which is especially penalising for operations out of peripheral ports like Rosslare.

In January 2018 the Group announced that it had entered into an agreement with the German company Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesselschaft & Co.KG (“FSG”) whereby FSG has agreed to build a second cruise ferry for ICG at a contract price of €165.2 million for contracted delivery in late 2020. It is intended that this vessel will service the Dublin/ Holyhead route alongside the existing Ulysses with the chartered Epsilon being returned to its owners

I think it's not unfair to suggest that the first paragraph is rubbish as I'm sure Stena interact in the same manner with the NTA and they're not looking at removing any routes also I.F's Pembroke service from the peripheral Rosslare is still going strong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think it's not unfair to suggest that the first paragraph is rubbish as I'm sure Stena interact in the same manner with the NTA and they're not looking at removing any routes also I.F's Pembroke service from the peripheral Rosslare is still going strong.

It is linked to this as they didn’t like paying the compensation for cancellations.

Legal Challenge to the National Transport Authority interpretation of the EU Regulation no 1177/2010
As previously reported Irish Ferries has commenced legal proceedings by way of judicial review against the National Transport Authority’s interpretation of the EU Regulation no 1177/2010 in respect of the cancellations that arose last year resulting from the delayed delivery by FSG of our new cruise ferry W. B. Yeats ship, delivered in December 2018.
We believe this challenge is necessary, in the best interests of our customers, to protect the viability of direct links to the Continent which is now all the more critical against the backdrop of the proposed UK exit from the EU. These direct links are threatened by what we strongly believe to be the NTA’s incorrect interpretation of the Regulation.

I still maintain I.F got a real bargain with W.B.Y, compared to size/cost ratio of Honfleur. BF always end up paying over the odds. I wonder, does anyone know the cost of a single e-flexer  (215m version) to Stena from Avic?

What’s IF going to do in Pembroke when the Inishmore is due for docking now the Oscar Wilde has gone, there is nothing else to cover her in the IF fleet.

On 30/08/2019 at 15:15, hf_uk said:

I still maintain I.F got a real bargain with W.B.Y, compared to size/cost ratio of Honfleur. BF always end up paying over the odds. I wonder, does anyone know the cost of a single e-flexer  (215m version) to Stena from Avic?

They also got a prototype Ro-Pax with the delays and issues that came with it - there have been suggestions that the original price was a loss maker to get a reference project even before the delivery penalties were applied.  I wonder have they finished her inside yet? (I'm not joking - elements of the interior, including some of the cabins, have apparently had to be completed in service).  At least the kids area looks a bit more like a kids area rather than a weird sort of seating area these days!  HONFLEUR is also quite a different vessel from a technical point of view too.  At least the guys at FSG have experience in designing and building LNG vessels even if the refuelling system itself is somewhat a prototype.

There have been various rumours about the purchase price of the E-Flexer's but nothing official.  You can be pretty sure they were cheap (to Stena) though, they aren't exactly known for paying over the odds!  E-Flexer the only option Brittany Ferries looked at either, and the charter price is obviously agreeable.  It's a transaction that looks like it will work well for both companies in any case. 

14 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

They also got a prototype Ro-Pax with the delays and issues that came with it - there have been suggestions that the original price was a loss maker to get a reference project even before the delivery penalties were applied.  I wonder have they finished her inside yet? (I'm not joking - elements of the interior, including some of the cabins, have apparently had to be completed in service).  At least the kids area looks a bit more like a kids area rather than a weird sort of seating area these days!  HONFLEUR is also quite a different vessel from a technical point of view too.  At least the guys at FSG have experience in designing and building LNG vessels even if the refuelling system itself is somewhat a prototype.

There have been various rumours about the purchase price of the E-Flexer's but nothing official.  You can be pretty sure they were cheap (to Stena) though, they aren't exactly known for paying over the odds!  E-Flexer the only option Brittany Ferries looked at either, and the charter price is obviously agreeable.  It's a transaction that looks like it will work well for both companies in any case. 

I am hoping to be WOWED by the Hongfeur interior. Reading some BF statements, she is meant to be a ferry for the digital age!