chris990

Portsmouth - St Malo - Portsmouth

Boarded Bretagne in Portsmouth, I had a commodore class cabin which I have to say was very clean. Had dinner in Les Abers, plenty of choice on the buffet and the main course of Duck was cooked to perfection. We sailed on time under the command of Captain Rimbault.  Bought the Bretagne book in the shop. It was a very calm crossing and I slept really well. The following morning I opted for the cabin breakfast with 2 of everything (roll, croissant and pain au chocolat) there was more than enough. Disembarkation in St Malo was quick and I was in the terminal by 08:40.

Spent a few days enjoying the delights of St Malo, noticed a couple of restaurants had changed hands and names - the Jacques Cartier had changed but can't remember to what also La Bisquine is now the St Vincent. Luckily the Cafe De L'Ouest is still the same and still excellent.

Returned back on Bretagne the day before the problem with the link span - don't know if it was of any significance but when the tractor was lifting the span away it caught the side.

This time the captain was a new one to me - Captain Breanne (apologies for spelling). Again very smooth sailing and again the buffet in Les Abers. This time I had the lamb which was excellent. 

Just before arrival there was an announcement that due to strong tidal currents we would be 20 minutes late arriving in Portsmouth but we were still along side by 18:20. All in all 2 vert good crossings on the Bretagne and I have to say the old girl is still looking as good as ever.

2 negative points which I appreciate are outside the control of bf. Firstly the seats in St Malo terminal are very uncomfortable. Secondly not everyone is security checked- I think it should be all or none.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, chris990 said:

Firstly the seats in St Malo terminal are very uncomfortable. Secondly not everyone is security checked- I think it should be all or none.

You mean these seats which I liken to bird cages and are probably baned under EU animal-rights legislation?

As for the security checks using the bag scanner and metal detectors, I find that for Jersey and Guernsey it's 100% of passengers but that for Portsmouth a certain level of profiling takes place. 

Ed. 

DSC_0347.JPG

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

You mean these seats which I liken to bird cages and are probably baned under EU animal-rights legislation?

As for the security checks using the bag scanner and metal detectors, I find that for Jersey and Guernsey it's 100% of passengers but that for Portsmouth a certain level of profiling takes place. 

Ed. 

DSC_0347.JPG

Just goes to prove, there is an upside to having to queue in the car🤣

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paully said:

Just goes to prove, there is an upside to having to queue in the car🤣

As opposed to the state of my backside when I manage to stand up. 😂

Last time I travelled through St Malo on foot in June there was a group of Canadian and American tourists doing Jersey and Guernsey before rejoining their European cruise. Even some of them were complaining about the comfort levels and they had several layers of, how to put it delicately, extra epidermis to cushion them. Ed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, the profiling (which inevitably takes place) does mean that all passengers are screened in one way or another.

Perhaps they need 3D body scanners. When you get up from those seats there are plenty of extra crevices where you could hide contraband. Ed. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, chris990 said:

don't know if it was of any significance but when the tractor was lifting the span away it caught the side.

Every time I have visited St Malo on 'Bretagne', a tractor has always lifted and removed a piece of steel on the ships ramp but never thought to ask why. I'm guessing it's to protect the ships ramp when loading and offloading unaccompanied containers.

Edited by TonyMWeaver