Tackleberry

Pont Aven today

9 hours ago, David Williams said:

Sounds a mess in Plymouth tonight with complaints at 22:50 that the PA had not yet left and the Amorique passengers have been stuck on the ship for over 5 hours, at least the incoming Amorique  passengers should get decent compensation but probably not the outgoing ones.

Incoming Armorique passengers to Plymouth getting compensation?  Well not on the evening of 11 August when we were three hours late into Plymouth. The reason?  Armorique was held up at Roscoff because of Pont Aven once again. Compensation was refused. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, wortley said:

Incoming Armorique passengers to Plymouth getting compensation?  Well not on the evening of 11 August when we were three hours late into Plymouth. The reason?  Armorique was held up at Roscoff because of Pont Aven once again. Compensation was refused. 

I am surprised at that, what reason did they give ?

The rules are:-

Excluding adverse weather condition endangering the safe operation of the ship or extraordinary circumstances which are unavoidable, delays in the arrival time passengers may request compensation of 25% of the price paid for the delayed service if: a 1 hour delay on a 4 hour journey, 2 hour delay on a 4 to 8 hour journey, 3 hour delay on a 8 to 24 hour journey and a 6 hour delay a journey of more than 24 hours. The compensation shall be 50% if the delays are twice the above.

They said that Pont Aven had been delayed by weather between Cork and Roscoff and was therefore running hours late. I was booked on Armorique which wasn't delayed by weather - she was delayed by Pont Aven's lateness and her inordinately slow unloading and reloading in Roscoff. Compensation refused.

My next crossing on Armorique is overnight from Plymouth on 14 September - who will be ahead of us blocking the berth at Roscoff when we arrive on the morning of Sunday 15 September ?   Pont Aven !

Edited by wortley

14 minutes ago, wortley said:

They said that Pont Aven had been delayed by weather between Cork and Roscoff and was therefore running hours late. I was booked on Armorique which wasn't delayed by weather - she was delayed by Pont Aven's lateness and her inordinately slow unloading and reloading in Roscoff. Compensation refused.

My next crossing on Armorique is overnight from Plymouth on 14 September - who will be ahead of us blocking the berth at Roscoff when we arrive on the morning of Sunday 15 September ?   Pont Aven !

I would have thought that it is worth responding to any rejection with a request for it reviewed by a senior manager prior to you making a complaint ! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jamess said:

So Pont Aven sailed from Plymouth at around 22:55, seems that Armorique will be berthed for around 23:115

Any one got any sensible guesses as to what time Thursday evenings Roscoff sailing will depart, which I am on?

Thanks

OK going back to this question, I note that the current twitter statement is:- "we're currently expecting Pont-Aven to arrive in Santander at 20.30 and depart again at 23.00, that makes 2 hours recovered on the crossing. I would guess that the Thursday night crossing Plymouth - Roscoff crossing won't be delayed by more than an hour assuming they make some time up on the return and turnarounds. My 'guess' would be 21:15 instead of 20:45

Anyone else want to do an estimate !

19 minutes ago, wortley said:

My claim was reviewed - and refused again.  Let's hope last night's delayed passengers fare better.

That sounds a bit mean, it may be worth following up the next stage (or at least mentioning to BF that you are about to):-

If you have a complaint or claim specifically relating to Passenger Rights legislation and we've been unable to resolve it between us, ABTA Ltd will also provide a complaint handling service for customers. You can contact ABTA at 31 Park Street, London, SE1 9EQ or consumer.affairs@abta.co.uk.

• Like 1

Pont arrived in Plymouth last night at 19.30 probably 3.5 hrs late. Disembarkation was very slow probably due to passport control. We departed at 23.00 and made rapid progress away from port, by 04.30 we were off Jersey and getting a good 4G signal for about 30 mins. No ETA announced yet but my guess would be 22.30 (23.30). We have a hotel booked in Gijón 2.5 hrs drive after disembarking so we may be there by say 02.00-02.30 Thursday. Would I get compensation?

I honestly do feel for those who have to use Plymouth both it's port and approach roads, it really must be a trial..

Personally I wouldn't touch the place with a bargepole

7 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

, by 04.30 we were off Jersey

If they are taking you to Spain via Jersey you should get compensation for incompetent navigation. Ed  

• Haha 3

I reckon the captain had been watching Apollo 13 and was attempting to use the island's gravitational pull to slingshot him out into the Atlantic and down to Spain to make up some time. 😂 

As for Ushant having a 4G signal, I thought they were still using carrier pigeons. Ed. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I think he means Ushant. 😉

I have not yet logged onto marine traffic to check but the TV in our cabin seemed to show we were between the Channel Islands and France.

Just now, JohnMustow said:

I have not yet logged onto marine traffic to check but the TV in our cabin seemed to show we were between the Channel Islands and France.

This is very confusing! Do you know where you are now? Can you see any icebergs or pyramids? Ed. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Paully said:

I honestly do feel for those who have to use Plymouth both it's port and approach roads, it really must be a trial..

Personally I wouldn't touch the place with a bargepole

The journey down wasn’t too bad this time thankfully it’s potluck with the M5 though , the Devon expressway wasn’t too bad this time and it’s usually ok, but the hold up at passport controls make it very unlikely we will use Plymouth again for the homeward leg it’s just a ridiculous situation regardless of who is to blame it needs sorted.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

Must have been a blip.  Just checked the track on Marine Traffic and there was nothing abnormal about it.

6 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

The first 4G signal was a UK network with 2bars and thence moved onto a French network with 4bars. Bridge just announced ETA 19.40 so he has definitely got the pedal to the metal. Might be in our bunks in Gijón by 23.59 if we disembark quickly.

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Must have been a blip.  Just checked the track on Marine Traffic and there was nothing abnormal about it.

Are you suggesting that what they show on the screens is not actually real-time mapping and is in fact a cartoon? Someone must have selected 'winter crossing Portsmouth - St Malo' on the DVD menu. It's just as well they didn't put the "Femmes Bretonnes Chaudes" disc in by mistake. Ed. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

OK going back to this question, I note that the current twitter statement is:- "we're currently expecting Pont-Aven to arrive in Santander at 20.30 and depart again at 23.00, that makes 2 hours recovered on the crossing. I would guess that the Thursday night crossing Plymouth - Roscoff crossing won't be delayed by more than an hour assuming they make some time up on the return and turnarounds. My 'guess' would be 21:15 instead of 20:45

Anyone else want to do an estimate !

Twitter response to me via DM...

Hello James, we're expecting Pont-Aven to arrive at 20:30 and then depart from Plymouth at 23:15. I'll check and confirm with regards to La Flora. Kind regards, Jame

Received this emal from BF just now:

We are sorry to advise that as a result of an earlier technical problem, Pont-Aven is running later than scheduled. The departure time from Plymouth is now 23:15, with arrival in Roscoff unchanged at 08:00. Your cabin may not be immediately available when you arrive on board. If your cabin door is closed it is ready, if open, please wait in the public areas for further announcements. The Le Flora a la carte restaurant is open until 15 minutes after the departure time. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I’m sure we’re jinxed!

We were originally booked to travel Poole to St Malo via Guernsey on Condor Liberation tomorrow. Very civilised timings, leaving Poole at 09:15 with a couple of hours on Guernsey to walk the dogs, travelling on to St Malo to arrive at 16:55. Due to problems with the Liberation the schedules have been changed, and we would not arrive in St Malo until 23:10 so we chose to cancel and rebook with BF.

We booked today to travel Plymouth to Roscoff tomorrow evening and have been told nothing about the revised times. Our ticket, received at 14:13 states that departure is at 20:45, with early boarding from 19:00! I wonder when BF will inform us of the new timings?

3 hours ago, jamess said:

Just got on the berth in Santander.

lets see how quick a turnaround they do

Disembarkation was the complete opposite of Plymouth bow door open, three lines of traffic zippered into two for the link span, 2 or 300m of three lane queue for passport control, 3 out 4 booths open! On our way before we could set the sat about. Bang on the ETD OF 19.40. Arrived in Gijón 23.10 ES. Well done BF. 👍