Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they are taking you to Spain via Jersey you should get compensation for incompetent navigation. Ed  

The journey down wasn’t too bad this time thankfully it’s potluck with the M5 though , the Devon expressway wasn’t too bad this time and it’s usually ok, but the hold up at passport controls make it v

Are you suggesting that what they show on the screens is not actually real-time mapping and is in fact a cartoon? Someone must have selected 'winter crossing Portsmouth - St Malo' on the DVD menu. It'

Posted Images

Hi Scarlton. I booked on the BF web site and received our tickets by email in the usual way. I only discovered the delayed timings when I looked at this web site to see whether there was any information about the Liberation’s problems.

Their web site now shows availability for Portsmouth. - St Malo so I’ll call them later to see whether we can change crossings. When I spoke to them yesterday there were no cabins available so Plymouth to Roscoff was the best option available to us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, La Pirouaie said:

Hi Scarlton. I booked on the BF web site and received our tickets by email in the usual way. I only discovered the delayed timings when I looked at this web site to see whether there was any information about the Liberation’s problems.

Their web site now shows availability for Portsmouth. - St Malo so I’ll call them later to see whether we can change crossings. When I spoke to them yesterday there were no cabins available so Plymouth to Roscoff was the best option available to us.

I don't know where you are located or where you are going in France but DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe have space on both their day crossings. The overnighter has no more cabin space left I'm afraid.  Ed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, La Pirouaie said:

Hi Scarlton. I booked on the BF web site and received our tickets by email in the usual way. I only discovered the delayed timings when I looked at this web site to see whether there was any information about the Liberation’s problems.

Their web site now shows availability for Portsmouth. - St Malo so I’ll call them later to see whether we can change crossings. When I spoke to them yesterday there were no cabins available so Plymouth to Roscoff was the best option available to us.

One inside 2 berth and one inside large 2/4 berth is available...best be quick!!

I considered moving our Plymouth Roscoff crossing tonight, but as we booked early and got it for £125, it was going to budge the orice up almost £50, even when downgrading from Commodore to an inside cabin according to the website when I tried to change it last night....Will stick to Plymouth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update. I called BF and they have moved us to the Portsmouth - St Malo crossing. It’s slightly more expensive, but we know that at this late stage we’ll be paying top prices. 

Cabin Boy, thank you for your suggestion but we’re travelling from south of Bath to Morbihan so unfortunately Newhaven - Dieppe would mean a lot of driving☹️

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Solo said:

Presumably the Armorique will dock first tonight, I did wonder if she could do the overnight crossing to Roscoff but from what's been said the crossing is busy, so not enough capacity.

According the BF sailings update page, this afternoons crossing from Roscoff is scheduled to leave early, getting in to Plymouth before the Pont arrives.  Presemably, then, she will vacate the berth and then return to do tomorrow mornings sailing.

Edit:  Just seen this has been posted on the 'Sailing Updates' thread

Edited by Paul
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, La Pirouaie said:

Quick update. I called BF and they have moved us to the Portsmouth - St Malo crossing. It’s slightly more expensive, but we know that at this late stage we’ll be paying top prices. 

Cabin Boy, thank you for your suggestion but we’re travelling from south of Bath to Morbihan so unfortunately Newhaven - Dieppe would mean a lot of driving☹️

TBF though, when you said abou  being told of the new timing, it wouldnt matter when you depart, if you arrive on time and can get on at a decent time.

9pm instead of 7pm is a bit annoying, but at least u would have got into Roscoff on time.

And Cabin boy - stop advocating garbage crossings... whoever heard of this 'Newhaven' place!? 😮😉 

Edited by hf_uk
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

TBF though, when you said abou  being told of the new timing, it wouldnt matter when you depart, if you arrive on time and can get on at a decent time.

9pm instead of 7pm is a bit annoying, but at least u would have got into Roscoff on time.

And Cabin boy - stop advocating garbage crossings... whoever heard of this 'Newhaven' place!? 😮😉 

And Dieppe is closer to Calais than Roscoff

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

And Dieppe is closer to Calais than Roscoff

Of course. As La Pirouaie said he was heading to Morbihan it made perfect sense to try for St Malo. We did the trip from there to Vannes in two hours last time. However, if he had been heading down south then a port further east might have been an option. To be honest, aside from the price of DFDS, one of the reasons I prefer booking with them at Christmas is that we've have perhaps 3 out of the last 10 end-of-year crossings with various operators cancelled, postponed or declared doubtful due to the weather. My logic is to book DFDS and if the ferry is cancelled I'm already two thirds of the way to the tunnel.  Ed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

My logic is to book DFDS and if the ferry is cancelled I'm already two thirds of the way to the tunnel.  Ed. 

Yes, I see the logic. I think the most reliable BF route is Portsmouth - Caen as that normally runs. We used to do the tunnel when time was at a premium as that is definitely the fastest and least hassle crossing. Our personal best was 6 hours from leaving the flat in Dives Sur Mer to getting home in West London. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, La Pirouaie said:

Hi Scarlton. I booked on the BF web site and received our tickets by email in the usual way. I only discovered the delayed timings when I looked at this web site to see whether there was any information about the Liberation’s problems.

Their web site now shows availability for Portsmouth. - St Malo so I’ll call them later to see whether we can change crossings. When I spoke to them yesterday there were no cabins available so Plymouth to Roscoff was the best option available to us.

Very strange. I assume you checked spam etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hf_uk said:

TBF though, when you said abou  being told of the new timing, it wouldnt matter when you depart, if you arrive on time and can get on at a decent time.

9pm instead of 7pm is a bit annoying, but at least u would have got into Roscoff on time.

And Cabin boy - stop advocating garbage crossings... whoever heard of this 'Newhaven' place!? 😮😉 

Unfortunately departure time was scheduled at 23:15, which is rather late for us.

Yes, Scarlton, I did check spam - but in fairness to BF there were problems all day yesterday with BTinternet mail. 

Bretagne was very busy last night, but we’re now home and relaxing in the sun🌞

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...