Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Do you think the ferry industry still has an image problem?

29 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

With the zeitgeist of "flight shame" now upon us, ferry operators really need to exploit this sentiment beyond just Guardian readers!

Sorry but I think the `Flight Shame` you mention is pretty well restricted to Guardian readers, what few there are.

12 minutes ago, Paully said:

Sorry but I think the `Flight Shame` you mention is pretty well restricted to Guardian readers, whatt

I'm not too sure of that! Attitudes are changing faster than ever. Look how quickly the public's distaste of plastic has grown compared to its widespread acceptance a mere 10 years ago.

Edited by zuludelta

Just now, zuludelta said:

I'm not too sure of that! Attitudes are changing faster than ever. Look how quickly the public's distaste of plastic has grown compared to it's widespread acceptance a mere 10 years ago.

Good oh..best you don`t read the monthly CAA passenger figures for UK airports then... 

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

Sorry but I think the `Flight Shame` you mention is pretty well restricted to Guardian readers, what few there are.

And young people, who have very different views on things than their elders and hold a (rightly) rather dim view of the actions of previous generations. Whether that translates into giving up things they are used to or grow used is open to debate but I've heard people I know opt for UK holidays rather than fly for this reason.

18 minutes ago, Paully said:

I think all the hot air generated when Guardian readers open their mouths to protest might actually contribute more to global warming than air travel. Ed. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think all the hot air generated when Guardian readers open their mouths to protest might actually contribute more to global warming than air travel. Ed. 

and to think they never printed a word when the triangular rolls were removed from the hallowed menu........shocking🤬

13 minutes ago, Paully said:

Good oh..best you don`t read the monthly CAA passenger figures for UK airports then... 

What people say and do are often two different things! However there is no doubt that opinion is changing and that can be the first stage to changing behaviour. 

• Like 1

As far as the attitudes of the young are concerned, it has always been the way in every generation.  Every generation resents the mess made of things by the previous ones.  And, in every generation, the views of the young evolve into those of the previous ones as they mature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

As far as the attitudes of the young are concerned, it has always been the way in every generation.  Every generation resents the mess made of things by the previous ones.  And, in every generation, the views of the young evolve into those of the previous ones as they mature.

A pearl of wisdom! With words like that you should publish …...

1 hour ago, hhvferry said:

but I've heard people I know opt for UK holidays rather than fly for this reason.

yeah there is definitely an attitude and behaviour change happening in relation to they way people holiday despite the CAA figures.

52 minutes ago, Gareth said:

And, in every generation, the views of the young evolve into those of the previous ones as they mature.

I actually think there's something in it to some degree but most studies of the data show that people's political views around the time they came of age tend to stick with them for the rest of their life. Which makes the very liberal views of younger people a potential demographic timebomb for some political parties.

The ferry business suffers from being out of sight and mind - and the generational effect is similar here: if you've never been taken abroad by ferry when you were younger (which I imagine was the case for most people on this forum) I imagine it's less likely you'll even consider it as an option when making your own holiday plans.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nottingham said:

A pearl of wisdom! With words like that you should publish …...

I think Mike and the Mechanics got there before Gareth did. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/mikethemechanics/thelivingyears.html&ved=2ahUKEwjzsOnMt8HkAhXxyYUKHauWBQUQFjAGegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3bQ_FxBEYOPrChrbHLUOUC

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think that should be reported as plagiarism to the mods immediately!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

I never understood the appeal of travelling by air when a sea voyage will do the job far more enjoyably!

Like sailing from Ireland to France and sharing a ferry with wagons loaded with live cattle leaking urine and muck. High class transport?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Like sailing from Ireland to France and sharing a ferry with wagons loaded with live cattle leaking urine and muck. High class transport?

Well I understand these “pet friendly” arrangements are all the rage with some, but with judicious selection of sailing and accommodation options I believe it is possible to avoid them! 😉

Paully is essentially right that however nice ferry travel is, it only has a limited geographical radius from the UK and covers only a fraction of common holiday options. You are pretty much restricted to 'near Europe' in practical terms.

I am writing this at 1am having just driven back from Heathrow after a flight from Athens. Before that it was a great 140 mile drive from the Gulf of Corinth via the ancient site of Delphi. Not somewhere you can easily visit by ferry from the UK although we did have a very interesting ferry experience whilst in Greece which I will post in the next day or so.