Border control Plymouth

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s plenty room to adapt the disembarking process you would think it wouldn’t be too complicated to do and alleviate some of the issues, hopefully I won’t be seeing it for too long tonight though,

Agreed Neil, not their fault but BF should have significant access to get this improved.

I agree that after a fine cruise, sitting in a traffic jam to get off the boat and get through border control wipes out much of the good memory of the crossing. It is often said that you remember the

Posted Images

It's welcome, or not, to Plymouth..the rest of the ports are speedy Gonzales compared to this ramshackled outfit..

Memo to self....avoid at all costs..

Feel for you Neil not what you want at the end of your holiday..hope you get home ok

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Are you sure they didn't miss Plymouth entirely and dropped you off instead in some post-apocalyptic wasteland? Like Swansea ferry port? Ed. 

Nah..Swansea ferry Port is upmarket compared to this

Very restrained of you, Ed, if I may say so!  Of a number of ports available to choose, into which Pont Aven would not fit and which illustrate sufficiently your main point, the choice of Swansea was, shall we say, appropriately political! 😉

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Are you sure they didn't miss Plymouth entirely and dropped you off instead in some post-apocalyptic wasteland? Like Swansea ferry port? Ed. 

The ibis in Plymouth was more of a wasteland, hasn’t been touched since the 70’s but more on that later.

On 13/09/2019 at 17:14, MichaelBF said:

Much of Plymouth port requires some form of investment. The terminal is functional, but not much more then that. The linkspan isn't in great nick either, and does require investment for the Long-Term I'd expect. Plymouth hasn't been invested in properly for a number of years, a shame. 

The layout of the port isn't ideal, and the queueing system before embarkation has changed in recent years and has helped, but there is little to no easy resolution to the current issues with disembarking. 

It's the foot passenger gangway that bothers me. It looks awful, it's a nightmare with heavy luggage (going up or down) and looks like it should have been removed twenty years ago.

On 12/09/2019 at 11:55, Cabin-boy said:

Can we go back to the idea that has previously been suggested of Priority Disembarkation and imagine that BF decide to implement such a scheme? If they were to provide 20 spaces at the front (or rear depending on direction of unloading) of Armorique or another ferry, how much extra would people be prepared to pay to secure one of those slot with the guarantee that you would be through customs and immigration within 10 minutes of arrival? Ed. 

They trialled Priority Boarding for Commodore a couple of years ago. I think it would be a good idea - give people a set time to check in and if they miss that then tough. Can't be beyond the realms seeing as it's a small number of vehicles (and they could limit it to standard cars). 

Passport control in Roscoff is slowish but not excruciatingly so. Over the last few years they've tidied themselves up and also started scanning and  name-checking each car occupant. That's grand. 

Passport control back in Cork is grand enough. No scanning so that helps.

12 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Home sitting with my feet up thanks @Paully 

I forgot to mention they were using one machine to scan the passports as one was broken not sure if that was all night or not, obviously only one booth open 2 folk working.

That's scandalous, but sadly par for the run down course at Plymouth... passports at St Malo always seem lightening quick by comparison to other ports..... anyway glad you got home ok, don't envy your drive though..thought mine was long enough

17 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Home sitting with my feet up thanks @Paully 

I forgot to mention they were using one machine to scan the passports as one was broken not sure if that was all night or not, obviously only one booth open 2 folk working.

Why didn't they open another booth with a working machine? Or was that above their pay scale to make the decision.

19 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

It's the foot passenger gangway that bothers me. It looks awful, it's a nightmare with heavy luggage (going up or down) and looks like it should have been removed twenty years ago.

Totally agree, we request to go in via the car deck and take the lift up.  This is usually requested by both port and BF staff. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Aphrodite said:

Totally agree, we request to go in via the car deck and take the lift up.  This is usually requested by both port and BF staff. 

It's a workable solution, granted. It does the job and that's fine as far as it goes. But the gangway is often a cause for complaint among us footies.

Today's news ! Things have speeded up at Plymouth.

From a busy Pont Aven inbound from Roscoff our longest delay was 30 minutes actually to get off the ship - but we were at the wrong end of the mezzanine deck. Once on dry land from the top of the ramp some cars are directed now on a new route to the right to new passport control booths- I don't know how many or how fast it is that way. 

We were sent the traditional way around the big shed and alongside the grim wall - on a busy day today that took exactly 15 minutes from the top of the ramp to getting an ok from a cheerful passport man.

And then being Sunday there was no traffic through the town. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, wortley said:

Today's news ! Things have speeded up at Plymouth.

From a busy Pont Aven inbound from Roscoff our longest delay was 30 minutes actually to get off the ship - but we were at the wrong end of the mezzanine deck. Once on dry land from the top of the ramp some cars are directed now on a new route to the right to new passport control booths- I don't know how many or how fast it is that way. 

We were sent the traditional way around the big shed and alongside the grim wall - on a busy day today that took exactly 15 minutes from the top of the ramp to getting an ok from a cheerful passport man.

And then being Sunday there was no traffic through the town. 

We were one of the last vehicles to leave Deck 3 today and our motorhome was directed round to the right with most of the other motorhomes.  The queue moved quite efficiently past the single booth and we were leaving the port within 20 minutes of docking so no complaints from us.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BobCrox said:

I've mentioned before the slow scanning of passports That Border Force use. I have just visited a country where passports are flashed in about 2 seconds.

Which one? Coming back into France through Granville in mid-September I got the impression that the scanning process took perhaps 30 seconds per passenger. There were 300+ people on board so that means with the two officers on duty they would need 1 hour and 15 minutes to deal with everyone. I can't see that being realistic. It seems that my perception of the time taken differs from the reality. Ed. 

Denmark, 5 second scan at the airport, AVIS spent more time looking at it. Cursory glance at the ferry terminal in Copenhagen. Norway haven't bothered scanning they just made sure the picture matched the ruggedly handsome man before them.