Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

ibis Plymouth

6306269E-18DF-4231-8787-D4AF1DC5CFBA.thumb.jpeg.ed3747828ed95330b8ed76a9cf0742dc.jpegCould say a lot about this hotel but will leave it to avoid it like the plague, see my soon to be published Tripadvisor review for more details.CFA6C1A5-D7DA-4D52-8703-1691404E16BC.thumb.jpeg.79781830b6870225ca1871e8a5965dda.jpeg

917686B3-0C2A-4321-AE87-308829DC1061.jpeg

Edited by neilcvx

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Never seen blood stained staircases on the Bretagne 😉

Have heard Plymouth can be a rough hole...The Ibis is certainly one to avoid.. What a dump

12 hours ago, neilcvx said:

6306269E-18DF-4231-8787-D4AF1DC5CFBA.thumb.jpeg.ed3747828ed95330b8ed76a9cf0742dc.jpegCould say a lot about this hotel but will leave it to avoid it like the plague, see my soon to be published Tripadvisor review for more details.CFA6C1A5-D7DA-4D52-8703-1691404E16BC.thumb.jpeg.79781830b6870225ca1871e8a5965dda.jpeg

Are you sure you didn't overshoot the hotel and end up in Dartmoor prison instead? Ed. 

We attended a family wedding near Plymouth last year and found the Premier Plymouth East, just off the Marsh Mills roundabout was clean, maintained and good value.  I would use it again if we ever sailed from Plymouth in the future, but extra miles/M5/Armorique make that very unlikely!

• Like 1

@nottingham we’ve stayed there before and it was ok pretty standard premier inn fair does the job, we had previously stayed at the ibis in Gloucester which is excellent value for money a great little hotel , I booked that as I’m saving my Accor points to get a discount so the only bonus now is that I get £40 off my next Accor stay which will come in handy.

1 minute ago, Gardian said:

But apart from all that Neil .......... OK-ish?

I forgot to mention the car park was full so I had to double park on the pavement but apart from that ,,, 

It looks like they've added another (sub-Formule 1) class to their range. Mercure, Ibis, Ibis Styles, Ibis Budget and now Ibis Dungeon. Take your pick! (and fumigation equipment). Ed. 

• Haha 1

I worked in the area when this hotel was built. It is a cast concrete construction and a fleet of lorries arrived with two bedrooms on the back and were taken off by crane and stacked like Lego. It only took about two days to have everything in place. Every "pod" was pre drilled for all the utilities and everything was in shipping containers and partially constructed in a factory in France, the installer ( I wont call them plumbers) would feed one end of the tap assembly into the pre drilled hole into the next door pod and then line up with the holes in the wall knock a raw plug in and screw in. All the other parts of the pod were installed the same. Everyone from the ground workers up were French and were travelling the country fitting them out. They moved to Cardiff after Plymouth. They had came from the Liverpool and had to pay protection money to get that one built as the Liverpool workers insisted they did the work but the French company would not allow it, so all construction was stopped until an agreement was reached!  

The hotel was opened as the  Campanile brand but didn't make any money. The French owners came over many times and could not work out why it was failing. It was soon sold to Ibis and I would cry with laughter when driving past seeing they were asking upwards of £80 per night. There was a time when ladies of a certain profession would book a room for the night as there was no need to go through reception and anyone could come and go!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a lot of renovation work going on but as far as I could see it was to build a terrace for the restaurant the restaurant itself was still pretty dire , the location is good as you can get right on the expressway without any hassle but apart from that it’s needing bulldozed.

On 15/09/2019 at 07:48, neilcvx said:

I must say, I stayed at Pompey Ibis near the port a while back, and although the downstairs public/lobby has been renovated, the upper floors, carpets, lifts and rooms were all pretty horrific in terms of condition, and being dated!

I am surprised the Plymouth Ibis manages a score of 7.7 on Booking.com but my trustworthy rule of thumb is only to consider hotels, guest houses and B&Bs with review scores of 9.0 and above, and there are several affordable places in and around Plymouth well above that figure. 

I’m only allowed to stay at 4 star hotels and above now , seriously though there’s a few decent ibis/ibis styles about Gloucester is a great example of a budget hotel and ibis styles in Miller street in Glasgow is a great city centre hotel , I really don’t get how the ibis prefab gets such high reviews.