Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Electric Charging Points Near BF Ports

With an electric vehicle soon to join our household I now find myself taking note of charging points whenever I’m out and about. As demand is clearly going to grow rapidly I thought it would be an idea to start a thread where we can share details of charging locations which are in close proximity to the ports BF operates from. 

So for starters...

Plymouth - As far as I’m aware Plymouth is currently the only port that has charging facilities at the port itself. 

St Malo - Car Park 4, Esplanade de la Bourse opposite the Compagnie Corsaire jetty has two points, both type 1 and 2. These are part of EFFIA network. 

• Like 1

There are charging points in Roscoff but the ones nearest to the port are  at the far end of the town just up from the ibis hotel.

Edited by neilcvx

Don’t most town and villages in France have charging points?

I think maybe it’s the Law? An example  we know well is St Honorine des Pertes, which in the last census results, (according to Wikipedia) has a population of just over 500 souls, so similar to Arromanches, it has 2 recharging points. Accessed and paid for by a credit type club card like a fuel card in the UK.

The same is true of our village, Port en Bessin where the same company has the same 2 place charging point on a parking opposite the supermarket, with a further 2 places on the supermarket car park which were installed during the recent refurb.

The French are ace at “urbanisation on the cheap” viz  the system of ASL’s used on most new developments, whereby roads, public spaces, drainage infrastructure etc is paid for and the responsibility of the  households on the development. By giving permission fo the positioning of such 3rd party supplied and operated charging points increases a Marie’s green credentials enormously, and by implication France’s too.

Any new supermarket developments also have to have charging points hence the ones in our village.

Next time I pass one I will get a photo with a weblink.

Two new ones now by the Gare Maritime at Roscoff - B/F website mentions them in the port guide and says you need a "refill card" but doesn't say how or where to get one. 

• Like 1

I just remembered the name ... Mobi SDEC

See here

Like the BF cash cow route, to Ouistreham,  it would appear to be a Calvados Department initiative. And not France wide.

I obviously spend too much time in the Calvados Bubble!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

With an electric vehicle soon to join our household I now find myself taking note of charging points whenever I’m out and about. As demand is clearly going to grow rapidly I thought it would be an idea to start a thread where we can share details of charging locations which are in close proximity to the ports BF operates from. 

So for starters...

Plymouth - As far as I’m aware Plymouth is currently the only port that has charging facilities at the port itself. 

St Malo - Car Park 4, Esplanade de la Bourse opposite the Compagnie Corsaire jetty has two points, both type 1 and 2. These are part of EFFIA network. 

Plymouth is pretty much first for everything Andy :O 

• Haha 1

For Portsmouth Port the park & ride on the M275 is the closest followed by the Tesco extra in Cosham. Coming from the A3 side there's a retail park by Southsea golf course which has a few.

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Plymouth is pretty much first for everything Andy :O 

Well, tongue out of cheek....

Roscoff went to Plymouth first!
Pont Aven went to Plymouth first.
Santander went to Plymouth first. 
Electric charging points went to Plymouth first. 

clutching at straws now...  erm, I saw a BF electric van in Plymouth first! :)

It may be that Plymouth needs electric-car charging points so that people have somewhere to top up after spending so long faffing around at the immigration booths. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe they could put one behind each of the immigration boothes in Porstmouth and then they would have enough to charge every electric vehicle in the South of the country! :)

If approaching Portsmouth from the East there is one in Emsworth A259, South Street Car Park. It is cleverly designed to look like a petrol pump which must say something about someone's mind-set! The hour or so can be well spent here especially if you need to eat before an evening departure - the choice is wide. 

Get the Zap-Map App. https://www.zap-map.com  It has most of the charge points on their app and there's useful "reviews" from users which will give you an idea of the reliability of individual charge points.  It also tells you the price per unit.  Some of the providers have their own apps which show availability of the charge points in real time.  We made a recent trip from Selkirk to Selby and then on to a campsite at Thirsk in one day with 2 charges.  We found the most reliable, available and quick chargers were on the Instavolt network, and were often to be found at the Bannatyne Health Clubs, but elsewhere too, for example at the Waterloo Service Station not too far from Portsmouth.

Some networks need a specific card to use them, Instavolt just need a contactless card.

Come to Scotland, because many of them are free.  We use the ones in Selkirk and Galashiels and charge up while shopping.  We also charge at home, especially if it's sunny as the PV panels on the house roof provide the power.

If this plan comes to fruition then ferry companies are going to need to think about how to incorporate charging into their future ships. If they don't, and people driving long distances on each side of the crossing are unable to recharge their vehicles, the tunnel is going to look more attractive as I would assume that adding fast charging points to their wagons will be relatively straightforward. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51366123

Ed

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If this plan comes to fruition then ferry companies are going to need to think about how to incorporate charging into their future ships. If they don't, and people driving long distances on each side of the crossing are unable to recharge their vehicles, the tunnel is going to look more attractive as I would assume that adding fast charging points to their wagons will be relatively straightforward. 

Ed

i would not think that the railway electricity infrastructure will have bee designed for the additional load imposed by several dozens of fast charging point in addition to a fully loaded train so it may not be that easy. To limit demand they could charge a premium rate for a small number of charging points.

• Like 1

I was intrigued by Alan Judd's recent Oldie tale of woe (1/10/2019 well worth looking out for, I'll try and find some way of posting it.) of trying to keep a car charged on the M6. Fact is nobody seems to have thought this through at all. 

On one site about electric vehicles I found this rather over-sanguine statement

Most electric car drivers don't worry about how long it takes to charge because they top up charge throughout the day. Rather than letting their battery run empty, they top it up whenever their car is sitting idle, at places like their supermarket, gym or workplace.  

The bone-headedness of all this is only matched by the over-dense cranium of the PM. I can think of a workplace near here with over 100 staff parking spaces where the load of all those topping up during the day - even if the infrastructure was available  - would be 0.7 MW per hour maximum if they were all topping up at the same time. Seemingly they are convinced that somehow this infrastructure will appear by magic.

Truth is if they had started earlier enough they could have fitted all roads with nets above them and we could all have a nice pole at the back of the car with a wiper at the top and a chrome numberplate on the side. Then you could pay the old boy in a trilby in the roadside paybox a few pence every so often - or at least his staff member who rides on the bumper - and go on you way. Trying to dodgem of course!

Edited by Millsy

When we were in Nice at the end of last year, we joined the 'Renault Mobility' scheme/app which meant it was pretty easy once registered to pick up an electric car using the app. We got a Renault Zoe which has a range of 400km - although in reality it's 250km flat out and nearer 400km to allow for energy recaptured on downhills/braking etc. We were pleasantly surprised by the car's performance too.

image.png.04641684bbfde653ac153ccf72904cc4.png

(BTW, for anyone interested in Renault Mobility- there's no joining/membership fee and you pay for rentals by the hour. 7 hours for us, including 100km was 46 Euros - booked 20 mins before pick-up: https://www.renault-mobility.com/ - you just need a reasonable grasp of French as the app/registration isn't yet in English.)

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Believe they already have charging points at the Tunnel terminal. Seems pointless to have onboard when you're only on a train end to end for a short time and giving they are risk-averse to fire hazards in the tunnel I doubt this is something that would be permitted anyway.

35 minutes ago, Jim said:

Believe they already have charging points at the Tunnel terminal. Seems pointless to have onboard when you're only on a train end to end for a short time and giving they are risk-averse to fire hazards in the tunnel I doubt this is something that would be permitted anyway.

How many charging points would they need to charge every car in a few minutes, one of the selling points of the tunnel is turn up and go not turn up and sit for an hour charging. Unless the price of Electric car come down a lot it will only be the rich driving and the same for flying, flying taxes will have to go up to stop people flying, so yet again only the rich will fly.  The other thing is the Electric infrastructure will need replacing and how many Nuclear power stations, don't say green energy unless you cover the whole Country with Solar panels and wind farms.  I agree we have to change but nobody has really come up with an answer that will work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solo said:

I agree we have to change but nobody has really come up with an answer that will work.

No cars. Electric autonamous buses. Home deliveries with only one van for all per day.

38 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

No cars. Electric autonamous buses. Home deliveries with only one van for all per day.

How does all that tick the “will work” box?

We have a Nissan Leaf 2018. A safe sort of range is about 140 miles. Any further and you tend to get squeaky *** syndrome sooner if you put your foot down. The ideal for us would be to charge on board or while waiting to board. Arriving at the port 40 minutes earlier to charge prior to check in or waiting 40 minutes once landed is not an attractive option. I did read once about induction charging could this be an option at the ports? (we currently use a small diesel for France and Spain because of the difficulties charging. In the UK we use the Leaf)  

• Like 1

Public (or Off-Street) charging points currently around Portsmouth.

Clarence Pier Car Park (Portsmouth City Council)

Available to ticket holders only

Long Curtain Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2NJ

Crasswell Street NCP Car Park

Portsmouth, PO1 1RS

Gunwharf Quays

Portsmouth, PO1 3TZ

Isambard Brunel Multi-Storey Car Park (Portsmouth City Council)

Alec Rose Lane, Portsmouth, PO1 2BX

North Harbour Unit Trust

1000 Lakeside, North Harbour, Western Road, Cosham, PO6 3EN

Ocean Retail Park

(next to M & S trolley park)

Burrfields Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5NP

Portsmouth Marriot Hotel

Southampton Road, Cosham, PO6 4SH

Portsmouth Park and Ride

Open to visitors and members of the public

Tipner Interchange, M275, Portsmouth, PO2 8AN

Cost: No fee

Seafront The Esplanade Car Park (Portsmouth City Council)

Clarence Esplanade, Portsmouth, PO5 3AP

👍Out of that lot, the Park and Ride could be very useful for the port given it's only a couple of minutes drive away and has a bus service to take you somewhere to pass the time.

Slightly intrigued by the ones at Lakeside 1000 as that's an office car park rather than a public place.