Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Electric Charging Points Near BF Ports

With an electric vehicle soon to join our household I now find myself taking note of charging points whenever I’m out and about. As demand is clearly going to grow rapidly I thought it would be an idea to start a thread where we can share details of charging locations which are in close proximity to the ports BF operates from. 

So for starters...

Plymouth - As far as I’m aware Plymouth is currently the only port that has charging facilities at the port itself. 

St Malo - Car Park 4, Esplanade de la Bourse opposite the Compagnie Corsaire jetty has two points, both type 1 and 2. These are part of EFFIA network. 

There are charging points in Roscoff but the ones nearest to the port are  at the far end of the town just up from the ibis hotel.

Edited by neilcvx

Don’t most town and villages in France have charging points?

I think maybe it’s the Law? An example  we know well is St Honorine des Pertes, which in the last census results, (according to Wikipedia) has a population of just over 500 souls, so similar to Arromanches, it has 2 recharging points. Accessed and paid for by a credit type club card like a fuel card in the UK.

The same is true of our village, Port en Bessin where the same company has the same 2 place charging point on a parking opposite the supermarket, with a further 2 places on the supermarket car park which were installed during the recent refurb.

The French are ace at “urbanisation on the cheap” viz  the system of ASL’s used on most new developments, whereby roads, public spaces, drainage infrastructure etc is paid for and the responsibility of the  households on the development. By giving permission fo the positioning of such 3rd party supplied and operated charging points increases a Marie’s green credentials enormously, and by implication France’s too.

Any new supermarket developments also have to have charging points hence the ones in our village.

Next time I pass one I will get a photo with a weblink.

Two new ones now by the Gare Maritime at Roscoff - B/F website mentions them in the port guide and says you need a "refill card" but doesn't say how or where to get one. 

• Like 1

I just remembered the name ... Mobi SDEC

See here

Like the BF cash cow route, to Ouistreham,  it would appear to be a Calvados Department initiative. And not France wide.

I obviously spend too much time in the Calvados Bubble!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

With an electric vehicle soon to join our household I now find myself taking note of charging points whenever I’m out and about. As demand is clearly going to grow rapidly I thought it would be an idea to start a thread where we can share details of charging locations which are in close proximity to the ports BF operates from. 

So for starters...

Plymouth - As far as I’m aware Plymouth is currently the only port that has charging facilities at the port itself. 

St Malo - Car Park 4, Esplanade de la Bourse opposite the Compagnie Corsaire jetty has two points, both type 1 and 2. These are part of EFFIA network. 

Plymouth is pretty much first for everything Andy :O 

• Haha 1

For Portsmouth Port the park & ride on the M275 is the closest followed by the Tesco extra in Cosham. Coming from the A3 side there's a retail park by Southsea golf course which has a few.

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Plymouth is pretty much first for everything Andy :O 

Well, tongue out of cheek....

Roscoff went to Plymouth first!
Pont Aven went to Plymouth first.
Santander went to Plymouth first. 
Electric charging points went to Plymouth first. 

clutching at straws now...  erm, I saw a BF electric van in Plymouth first! :)

It may be that Plymouth needs electric-car charging points so that people have somewhere to top up after spending so long faffing around at the immigration booths. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Maybe they could put one behind each of the immigration boothes in Porstmouth and then they would have enough to charge every electric vehicle in the South of the country! :)

If approaching Portsmouth from the East there is one in Emsworth A259, South Street Car Park. It is cleverly designed to look like a petrol pump which must say something about someone's mind-set! The hour or so can be well spent here especially if you need to eat before an evening departure - the choice is wide. 

Get the Zap-Map App. https://www.zap-map.com  It has most of the charge points on their app and there's useful "reviews" from users which will give you an idea of the reliability of individual charge points.  It also tells you the price per unit.  Some of the providers have their own apps which show availability of the charge points in real time.  We made a recent trip from Selkirk to Selby and then on to a campsite at Thirsk in one day with 2 charges.  We found the most reliable, available and quick chargers were on the Instavolt network, and were often to be found at the Bannatyne Health Clubs, but elsewhere too, for example at the Waterloo Service Station not too far from Portsmouth.

Some networks need a specific card to use them, Instavolt just need a contactless card.

Come to Scotland, because many of them are free.  We use the ones in Selkirk and Galashiels and charge up while shopping.  We also charge at home, especially if it's sunny as the PV panels on the house roof provide the power.