Electric Charging Points Near BF Ports

Theoretically if I was to purchase a Tesla model 3 with long range which apparently gives 348 miles , I could make it to Portsmouth with a 50 minute break which is reasonable enough as that’s a decent lunch break , but what if the chargers are full or the apps broken or traffic jams etc plus there’s the £50k cost , oh and according to Tesla there’s no charging points near the port .

CEDF71CA-0F7B-4284-BAFB-BDE8D15C2C88.thumb.png.475127f0a2868e60e2e26d0aa0d1a283.pngA3397106-CFE0-413E-997F-2B33CF5D7877.thumb.png.dab5d283151dfe74ecc037e425a7e95a.png

• Like 1

Electric vehicles will improve by 2035, hopefully with a universal socket but wouldn't manufacturers have improved normal engines to be really clean by that time if they were told to, instead they are being told don't do any more research we're banning them.  Joined up thinking would help, a universal battery that can be removed and replaced with a charged up one, hopefully they will be smaller by then that an attendant could remove and replace, Service stations would be covered in Solar panels with wind turbines next to them to charge the batteries, that's the ideal, will it happen?

On 17/02/2020 at 20:01, John M said:

Khaines has already touched on this website which covers all of Europe.  https://chargemap.com/

That’s quite interesting the nearest one to the campsite we’re staying at in the summer is 6 miles away and the campsite is in a decent sized resort, work to be done on charging points it would seem.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, IanN said:

If your car is by your pitch and the pitch has electricity can you not plug it in. After all you do pay for electricity on your pitch

No idea to be honest, but we don’t camp as such anyway it’s more static caravans that we use.

The point is there’s going to have to be massive investment in charging points.

• Like 1

Just imagine what it will be like on a bank holiday weekend trying to find a charging point.i see queues to fill up on the motorways and that only takes 5/10 minutes from start to finish.so 50 minutes to charge it will be a nightmare for everyone.to me it is to much of a dash to electric cars and manufacturers will rubbing there hands in glee thinking of the big profits they are going to make.at the moment the cost is very steep and will the price comedown is anyone's guess it is the interests of manufacturers to keep the price high.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/02/2020 at 07:07, Cabin-boy said:

If this plan comes to fruition then ferry companies are going to need to think about how to incorporate charging into their future ships. If they don't, and people driving long distances on each side of the crossing are unable to recharge their vehicles, the tunnel is going to look more attractive as I would assume that adding fast charging points to their wagons will be relatively straightforward. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51366123

Ed

The chunnell already has some free fast charging points on either side in the waiting area,  in addition to the Tesla ones.  

As for actually on board the trains,  unless they offered supercharger speeds, perhaps as their premium package,  I can't see it would be worth the hassle.  Health and safety might have a field.day about charging cables everywhere!