SpecialK

Portsmouth “security”

8 hours ago, nodwad said:

.cannot understand people who are against Proper security

Nail on the head there Nodwad........The problem at our air and sea ports is that the word `proper` is missing.

With terrorism you have to separate the actual threat and the perceived threat, the terrorist wins if everyone is to nervous to go about their every day life. The sight of more security should reassure people to carry on as normal.

As to ferries, how do you do a complete security check on every car and lorry going aboard?  It would take hours, we have to rely on intelligence and the hope that spot checks will deter the terrorist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As one who has spent most of his adult life with seemingly one group after another threatening to blow me up or hijack me - bomb scare evacuations became sooooooo tedious  in the seventies - if I was offered the choice (which I never have been) I'd prefer to do without all the security, the lot,  and take my chance. Any other approach and, sorry, they - whoever it is - have won!

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Paully said:

Nail on the head there Nodwad........The problem at our air and sea ports is that the word `proper` is missing.

Which was the point of my original post. With the information we have to provide at booking, a bit of pro-active work should give some clues before we even arrive at the port. Once there, proper, random checks of the vehicle, sniffer dogs  and drug/explosive wipes etc. not only would I have no problem with, indeed I would welcome as long as I did not miss my crossing. What really irritated me was the one size fits all, cut price pantomime we had to endure. It was more cursory than an airport or many buildings I have been through. I am not saying that four silver haired pensioners can be guaranteed to present zero risk but if we are to be checked then at least let us leave the inspection bay feeling reassured that if we had been up to no good, it would have been discovered, not that the only people to benefit were the company that provided the personnel, and of course a day's wages for those employed.

• Like 1

I can go from Plymouth to London with luggage on the train without security clearance. Or I can go there on a National Express coach and load a unchecked suitcase in the storage under the bus floor. No one asks or looks to see what is in the suitcase. No one asks if I have knives. Does my sailing on  Armorique to Roscoff need more security than they do? 

• Like 4

@wortley very true but now in a lot of public places like theatres , concerts etc your bags get checked and some have metal detectors, times have changed but I do feel safer now than when the “troubles” were in full swing.

I have a very small silver folding fruit knife which lives in my hand bag. Very useful for impromptu picnics. It has been picked up by security scans in every European check and I have been asked to leave it at reception but it was missed by both the Houses of Parliament and at Heathrow airport.