Sign in to follow this  
jonno

Pearl Seaways

Off on another adventure at the end of September.

A flight to Billund from Manchester. We usually drive but the roadworks around Bremen & Hamburg are a killer and took ten hours from the Hoek back in March '18 when we visited Flensburg before heading to Kiel for Color Magic.  

This time we're renting a house in Hvide Sande in Denmark. Trips will include the train from Holstebro direct to Copenhagen crossing the Storebaelt Bridge... having previously done it by ferry and motorhome it would be remiss of me not to try the train.

There's a mini cruise to Oslo booked aboard Pearl Seaways and the purchase of the excellent Oslo Pass will get us across the fjord and into the Fram and Viking museums we plan to visit on our whistlestop visit.

Later in the week we'll head to Hirtshals for Color Speed heading across the Skagerrak to Kristiansand for another day exploring before finishing off my 10 day unleashing on the poor unsuspecting Danes with a must see visit to Legoland.

We haven't told them yet but they'll need to board up their windows again next year when we return for Fjordline's offering to Bergen.

Hopefully if the mifi can handle it they'll be pics a plenty... Huzzah! 

• Like 3

Pearl Seaways... Her public areas and restaurants are as you'd expect from DFDS, high quality. Unfortunately judging by some of the passenger comments, including my own, as we surrounded guest services on deck 7, her cabins leave a lot to be desired.

We're in a 4 berth outside, the window of which looks out directly onto the crews deck 6 smoking area. Most of the time your view of the passing fjord is obscured.

The cabin itself is showing all the signs of its 30 years, loose coat hooks & light fittings, bashed and rattling upper bunks and the lower unfixed beds squeak with the seas movement and are very dusty underneath. The bathroom floods as it drains too slow, the towel holders are all very loose, the plughole is mainly made of rust and the mirror has severe water damage. The air con doesn't exist and the lino floor gives off an interesting odour.

Ok she takes a hammering, DFDS could sell the route twice over such is its popularity but at nearly £100 a night for this mini cruise cabin I expect to have a sea view which doesnt include the sweaty smoking heads of kitchen staff et al, a bathroom which doesn't create a moat around the loo and coat hooks which give me the option of not hanging my jacket on the floor.

Sorry DFDS but never again. Stena Saga maybe nearly ten years older but I much prefer her.

I'll  post a few general pics including, Color Fantasy, Aida Bella & Mein Schiff 3 in the gallery and a small video of the train crossing the great belt before heading under ground.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If it's any consolation if you're into vintage treats does the cabin mirror have a little M in a flag logo embossed into it? Most on her do, a sign of their age, being the houseflag of the Myrsten family, the owners of Slite her original Viking Line owning company. 

Apart from that I'd tend to agree, they've spent too much money doing and re-doing the main saloons and restaurants and not done nearly enough to maintain the cabins.

Edited by hhvferry

15 hours ago, jonno said:

Pearl Seaways... Her public areas and restaurants are as you'd expect from DFDS, high quality. Unfortunately judging by some of the passenger comments, including my own, as we surrounded guest services on deck 7, her cabins leave a lot to be desired.

We're in a 4 berth outside, the window of which looks out directly onto the crews deck 6 smoking area. Most of the time your view of the passing fjord is obscured.

The cabin itself is showing all the signs of its 30 years, loose coat hooks & light fittings, bashed and rattling upper bunks and the lower unfixed beds squeak with the seas movement and are very dusty underneath. The bathroom floods as it drains too slow, the towel holders are all very loose, the plughole is mainly made of rust and the mirror has severe water damage. The air con doesn't exist and the lino floor gives off an interesting odour.

Ok she takes a hammering, DFDS could sell the route twice over such is its popularity but at nearly £100 a night for this mini cruise cabin I expect to have a sea view which doesnt include the sweaty smoking heads of kitchen staff et al, a bathroom which doesn't create a moat around the loo and coat hooks which give me the option of not hanging my jacket on the floor.

Sorry DFDS but never again. Stena Saga maybe nearly ten years older but I much prefer her.

I'll  post a few general pics including, Color Fantasy, Aida Bella & Mein Schiff 3 in the gallery and a small video of the train crossing the great belt before heading under ground.

I'm sorry to hear that. From you've said it sounds like I got a cleaner, better appointed cabin on the Selandia Seaways!