Sign in to follow this  
Redwards

french ports

Not sure if its been covered elsewhere.   After 2 years  of not being able to slip over to France for a break or holiday, a window of opportunity is opening to us.  My wife is concerned about the refugee issue, because the last time we crossed  "Ouistreham" was full of migrants and she was to put it mildly worried!   

Can anyone update us on the current position regarding the terminal and approaches what the position is for Cars etc

Finally i know I asked this 2 years ago but can any of you regular travellers recommend a restaurant for dinner before an overnight crossing from Ouistreham, it can be out or in the Port 

Thanks in anticipation

Redarwds

This year it seems a bit quieter, there are still small groups around, however have not seen them running after lorries so far, I am sailing from there on Monday so will update if anything changes

If you are worried, it is probably better eating outside Ouistreham, however you are only vulnerable with a Caravan or roof box !

Re where to eat, it depends on what you like so Tripadvisor is normally  a good bet. If coming from the East, Cabourg and Dives Sur Mer have a decent selection.

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

roof box

I read that story too and it seemed a bit far-fetched. I check my box and its clip-system each time I return to the vehicle to continue my journey. Ed. 

Passed through Ouistreham twice in July and it was very quiet. Our cycle carrier back box has a strap which connects to the vehicle alarm and I also use HGV cable seals which are about a fiver a pack on Amazon.

The French & Brits have just cleared a camp based in Dunkirk so where those who lived there will find much needed shelter is anyone's guess... I doubt they're being given pre fabs and blankets.

We travel through Ouistreham regularly and we can confirm the “Immigrants” are less of a problem than they used to be, not that we have ever experienced any problems with them,  they can still be seen in the camp outside the Camping, there is still Gendarmerie presence but these seem to be the local ones and not the mobile ( go anywhere ones) . The Lorry checking area is now segregated from the car queue area by a security fence.

You will probably find much longer queues, so not a smooth port Transit, but better than PIP, all passport are now checked In and out of France  by the Douanes, who seem like a friendly bunch, especially the black spaniel sometimes seen!.

hope you enjoy your trip.

For what it's worth, returning on yesterday's afternoon crossing, as the driver I saw the way was completely clear. One of the passengers spotted what might have been a couple of migrants or on the other hand might just have been locals enjoying the sun. Certainly no police presence, of any flavour, going past all the restaurants, round the roundabout and up to the terminal.

One difference between yesterday and our previous crossing earlier this year was that at check in, BF only wanted to see our passports not our tickets. They were scanned and naively thinking that we had had all the checks and put them away, only to have to get them out again just into the secure area for the Douanes to check

I crossed from Ouistreham yesterday, I didn't see any groups at all., in the last 2 trips I saw small groups.

This year is definitely quieter than last year, they have either given up or got across. Note that it appeared to be just one nationality (I think Sudanese).

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I crossed from Ouistreham yesterday, I didn't see any groups at all., in the last 2 trips I saw small groups.

This year is definitely quieter than last year, they have either given up or got across. Note that it appeared to be just one nationality (I think Sudanese).

So which crossing were you on David? I arrived at 06h45 yesterday morning and there were plenty of migrants and gendarmes alike. It was my fourth trip though Ouistreham in the last 7 days, each time they were there lurking but because they are as you say from either Sudan or similar with very dark skin (please mods, this is just an observation not a racist comment!) they are not easy to spot at night.

I've seen a lot of freight drivers recently and the problem has certainly not gone away, they seem to find increasingly ingenious methods of getting onto (into) trailers and sneak across. What has changed is truckers being approached much further away from ferry ports with motorway service stations in the Loire Valley and beyond being increasingly targetted ...

But going back to the original post if you are a tourist in a car there should be nothing to worry about, just don't park too close to the terminal just in case. One of my favourite restaurants used to be La Ferme Saint Hubert at Colleville Montgomery and just a 5 minute drive from Ouistreham. Great food, an authentic setting and a world away from the barbed wire fences around the port.

Chris 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Sudan or similar

The local authorities around Angers have been dealing with an influx of Eritreans in recent months but I'm sure they give their nationality based on whichever country is perceived internationally to be persecuting people the most at the time they are detained. Ed. 

• Like 1

As a local, I can tell you: no problem with migrants at Ouistreham. Come over and have a stroll on the beach, or the harbour and canal. The port area is not a temple of gastronomy, but there's plenty of good value food and drink.

You will just see these poor folk in odd ones and twos hanging around, but they're no bother.

If you're a foodie don't miss the fish market – not sure you'd be able to take any home, but fascinating to watch. And see the speed with which the "fishwives" [to use the ancient term – but probably correct since several at least are married to skippers/crew] can clean and fillet a fish. When you see the price of turbot! Don't scream too loudly. In England, a luxury dish – but here if not eat-anytime certainly an easy and affordable choice. 

When we lived in the UK we spent many a short break over here. Sometimes getting the bus into Caen, sometimes just staying in Ouistreham. For the ultimate in convenience, we can recommend the Ibis Styles across the road from the terminal. 

If you come with a car turn right as you leave the terminal and head along our favourite coast (D-Day's Sword and Juno beaches). Lion, Luc and Courseulles are are all worth a look, with the latter the most interesting. Courseulles has several decent restaurants (some with rooms) and hotels. And a fish market that's even better than Ouistreham (pictured).

For a break without a car, take a look at Bus Verts – the Calvados "county" bus service. Comfortable and incredibly cheap.

fishmarket.thumb.jpeg.3c8720ea2b06acf08f79b5d28b0cdb99.jpeg

• Like 2