Sign in to follow this  
shar^k

How long would you wait

I emailed BF customer service on Wednesday morning with a quite serious complaint regarding our trip home from Roscoff-Cork on Connemara Tuesday night. 

So far no reply, how long should I wait before emailing again?

I won’t post any details here yet before I get a response from them. 

I'd give it a bit longer - perhaps up to a week. They're usually quite swift at responding but if you're complaining about something serious I would imagine they would want to review and fact-check to make sure you get an appropriate response.

Even in the event of needing time to investigate a serious complaint, you’d expect a courtesy holding reply / acknowledgement within a reasonable time frame.  Three or four working days seems reasonable for at least that.  However, at the moment it is only two days since you emailed, so it’s probably a bit early to complain about the lack of a reply.  I’d send a follow-up email if you haven’t heard anything back at all by Tuesday.

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll give it another couple of days. I guess I just thought that given the nature of my complaint I would have at least received an acknowledgment email. 

Most companies these days operate some form of customer services software that automatically acknowledges receipt of emails. It also tasks the customer services team to reply within a certain timeframe and move issues to the relevant department. When we had cause to complain to DFDS earlier this year they responded and resolved the complaint within two days and each time we were kept informed of progress.

I’d prefer to wait for a human reply than to receive a quick automated reply from a machine every time.  At least BF hasn’t gone down that route.

(Yet.  But with the way things are going with their drive towards big corporate....how long before that wrecks the current philosophy of their remarkably helpful customer service department....we’ll know its days are numbered when they introduce automated responses).

Automated responses are here now and always have been. My query in August this year has gone unanswered.  The time Customer Services expected to respond within has slipped from 3 days to 10 days and now 28 !   In "the good old days" Mike Bevens would reply within hours, day or night.

1167940675_28Days.thumb.png.1a40cc7d671fd1701014c10e29c61e00.png

If you don’t get a response soon wait until Jane (JE) is answering Twitter comments and then send them a direct message with your concerns, that may speed things up.

Edited by David Williams

Bear in mind that 28 days is an exceptional time. Given what has happened this year it's pushed up. My understanding is the time is far lower now, I would wait 10 days.

• Like 1

By way of an update to this, my complaint was to do with “red staining” we found on all the bed clothes on all beds in our cabin. See the pictures added below which will make it clear as to what the staining was.

The reply I got to my complaint was quite a generic reply received on the 24 September with which by way of an apology, the cost of the cabin would be refunded within 3-4 days. No mention was made as to how the staining could have been missed. 

I really don’t think the complaint was taken seriously enough and to date I still have not been refunded. 

I would be interested in your thoughts on this as given all the problems I have had with BF this year, I am seriously considering other options for next years two trips to France. 

98CACD24-B342-4FEE-AA4B-4F867E3BDE2B.jpeg

2F6C2F79-F166-4149-AE16-793A0B4F73F2.jpeg

9AA49A2A-4867-48F8-8194-20FF44C108B0.jpeg

Edited by shar^k

33 minutes ago, shar^k said:

By way of an update to this, my complaint was to do with “red staining” we found on all the bed clothes on all beds in our cabin. See the pictures added below which will make it clear as to what the staining was.

The reply I got to my complaint was quite a generic reply received on the 24 September with which by way of an apology, the cost of the cabin would be refunded within 3-4 days. No mention was made as to how the staining could have been missed. 

I really don’t think the complaint was taken seriously enough and to date I still have not been refunded. 

I would be interested in your thoughts on this as given all the problems I have had with BF this year, I am seriously considering other options for next years two trips to France. 

I assume you reported it to the information desk?

What do you want to happen? Limited amount of things that can be said.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shar^k said:

I would be interested in your thoughts on this

TBH > I feel your frustration, but in all honesty, I think BF have been fair in the response with suitable closure, I just hope BF record the issue correctly with the sub-contractors involved, demanding improvements, but I guess the ‘closure’ is just noted with no process put in place to stop future incidents or complaints.

I guess when you look at it, they (BF contracted cleaning staff) have a massive job in cleaning so many cabins and public areas in such a short amount of time alongside, things like this are going to be missed despite them being blaring obvious, the minimum wage staff don’t care about the complaints, all care about is getting another cabin done ASAP.  This type of complaint is becoming too common for my liking :(

Shar^k, are you certain it's a refund or just credit to use for a future booking? When I made a similar complaint in January about a cabin on Pont Aven they gave me about €50 back to use for another trip. That obviously forced me to use BF again which I did with a special offer trip in February. If you wish to change to IF or Stena next year then this won't help you. 

On the subject of the 'red staining', I'm inclined to think that the person transferring the beding to the cabin had a cut finger (perhaps due to those metal caged trolleys they tend to use) rather than it being anything else. As for it being missed, if the transfer occurred while the bed was being 'made' then it might not have been visible to the person at the time and even an inspection might not have seen it. I do believe that there should be a supervisor checking random cabins after cleaning but have yet to see any evidence of it happening. 

Ed

I too understand the frustration and it isn’t right, but the only way to address these type of problems is to notify information immediately, in my experience they will do all they can to help, and quickly. In the unlikely event you don’t get a satisfactory resolution then ask to see the purser/commissaire, it’s his or her job to ensure smooth functioning of all aspects of life on board. Making a complaint once the voyage is over won’t alter the fact something was substandard, addressing the problem immediately it’s encountered should résolve the issue, whether it’s cold food, dirty cabins or malfunctioning  equipment.

Chris

• Like 2

I remember a while back we had a problem with our cabin on the Pont , I went straight to the information desk where the purser happened to be standing informed them of my complaint and by the time I got back to the cabin there were 3 members of staff sorting it.

Sounds like BF, once again, has responded to this complaint more than satisfactorily for a complaint raised after the event.  Like other have said, faced with those stains, I’d be astonished if the onboard staff did not deal with changing the linen at the time if it was brought to their atrention.

I should probably add that we did complain onboard and initially they offered to change out the bedding. 

As they were in the process of doing this more staining was found under the bedding on the duvets underneath. At this point we asked to be moved a different cabin, which was done for us eventually. 

I suppose my frustrations are two-fold, I have used BF for years and never had problems like I’ve had this year, it is my belief that standards are slipping and corners are being cut.

Secondly, the response to my complaint was quite generic, in which I was told a refund of the cost of the cabin would be made to my card, and to date this has not been done despite stating it would be done in 3-4 days.

Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy!!

• Thanks 1

The standards slipping issue is a recurring theme on here so seems like a valid point.  Sounds like you did the right thing on board.

• Like 1

If BF can't get jobs done properly by contractors - and posts on here for months now seem to show they can't - then the solution is obvious. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Millsy said:

If BF can't get jobs done properly by contractors - and posts on here for months now seem to show they can't - then the solution is obvious. 

Indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

Agreed