Sign in to follow this  
c stokes

BF Pricing (was "Mr")

just priced up a quick trip to Roscoff to visit my house to do some repairs and was astonished to see the price of inside 2 berth cabins overnight has shot up from #42 pounds to 55 pounds. That's the end of overnight travel for me, as a pensioner and single traveller, i just can't afford it. I've been a regular traveller since 2003 but I think I can see the end of my French adventure and my association with Brittany Ferries. A sad day.

I am sorry you feel that way. Can you manage with an economy reclining seat to Roscoff as I have to when I visit my son in Hong Kong?  For my own part I can afford a cabin to Roscoff now and then - it's the second house over there which you say you have which is beyond my means. Best regards. 

Edited by wortley

I'm sure I have read on here that it is possible to go to the the reception desk on board the ship and ask to upgrade a reclining seat reservation to a single berth in a shared cabin (gender segregated).  This is an economical solution and because not many people do this it is most likely that you will end up with a cabin to yourself.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 18:36, c stokes said:

just priced up a quick trip to Roscoff to visit my house to do some repairs and was astonished to see the price of inside 2 berth cabins overnight has shot up from #42 pounds to 55 pounds. That's the end of overnight travel for me, as a pensioner and single traveller, i just can't afford it. I've been a regular traveller since 2003 but I think I can see the end of my French adventure and my association with Brittany Ferries. A sad day.

Hi C Stokes,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you stay with us as we all try to help in our different ways. 

I think you’ve slightly misinterpreted BF’s pricing policy which is the same as it’s always been over the years, so you pay low season rates in the low season, roughly 1st October until late March, mid season rates in April, May and maybe June, then full whack in July and August. 2 berth inside cabins are coming out at £43 this winter, £55 in April May and from memory £69 in high season. This is standard practise and applies equally to hotel chains whether in France or the UK. It’s really sad if an extra £13 punctures your dream of owning a second home in France;  why not join BFE and benefit from Jim’s stonking good 24 hour deals (at no extra cost) ....

A really good one is the Friday night departure ex Plymouth, returning on the Pont Aven Sunday morning sailing giving you a full day’s DIY and a night in France, currently only £75 ish with a 2 berth cabin on the outward leg, car included and unbeatable value. I travel every week and get frustrated by paying a minimum £150 return when there are offers, up to £400 in July/August club discount included, that’s the way it is....🙃

But I still enjoy travelling with BF, know roughly what it costs to run a decent ferry and don’t begrudge it one bit..

Chris

• Like 4

On 22/09/2019 at 17:36, c stokes said:

Chin up matey. I fully understand.

I'm also a pensioner but I look at it this way. We have far lower costs and increases to contend compared to working folks. Think of all the things we enjoy as free in our old age society plus time to shop for food bargains etc plus a cost of living index that doesn't relate to us as we are low level consumers of most things (except energy to heat ourselves of course!) The basket of goods that fill our economic model just make me chuckle as I often have no idea what they are talking about!

We have so many advantages over other folk who sadly pay inflated prices in the summer season and in a way make things cheaper for us. Does't make it right but that's the economic model that exists.

Don't give up your French Adventure.

Stu

• Like 2

I hope this doesn't sound too flippant or insensitive because I know there are many in this country struggling, really struggling, to feed their kids and so on.  It was a long time ago when I was a student and I was down to my last 3 quid.  I had to look at what I spent my money on and cut out a lot of unnecessary expenditure.

On 22/09/2019 at 17:36, c stokes said:

You can ask onboard to buy a berth in a cabin, at the pro-rata rate. It's a little used tip that I'm told generally results in a cabin to oneself - but does bear the risk you may end up sharing with a stranger. 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

You can ask onboard to buy a berth in a cabin, at the pro-rata rate. It's a little used tip that I'm told generally results in a cabin to oneself - but does bear the risk you may end up sharing with a stranger. 

Obviously not aware of the Ryanair school of business where if you don't book seats you won't be sat with your partner, even though the seat next to you is empty.

If they put you in with someone else you would probably pay for a full cabin on your next sailing.

1 hour ago, nick hall said:

Obviously not aware of the Ryanair school of business where if you don't book seats you won't be sat with your partner, even though the seat next to you is empty.

If they put you in with someone else you would probably pay for a full cabin on your next sailing.

Sooner or later they all sit and learn at the feet of the `Dark Knight`😁

12 hours ago, Paully said:

Used to beat that system with TUI when called Thomsons airline. When being checked in by agency staff  I asked specifically to not be given a seat next to my wife! Agent seemed perplexed until I said I always am allocated a seat away from my wife as that's what you will do anyway. Just saving you the bother of telling me I cant sit with her. It worked every time. Result -wife sitting beside me! 
Its like the time Squeassy Jet didn't allocate seats. We used the rear door and grabbed a 3 seat row and put a bag on the middle seat explaining to any inquires that the guy was in the toilet and the seat was taken. Worked every time on light loads.

Toddle pip

Edited by straightfeed
  • Haha 1

That reminds me of the time I boarded an HST at Reading (1st stop) to go down to Plymouth. The lady opposite had clearly laid out what was obviously an expensive cashmere sweater on the seat next to her for the purpose of deterring others. When she got off at Taunton or Exeter St D, I can't recall which, she was so reluctant to show what she had done she had to leave the thing there! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2