Andy

Spanish menus on the way

Looks like the Spanish feel of the e-flexors is being trialled:

Tomorrow’s cuisine today

Over the coming months, we invite you to embark with us for some Spanish style festivities during your cruise onboard Pont-Aven. Brittany Ferries has joined forces with one of the finest Spanish chefs to bring you new culinary specialities straight out of Spain. Carlos Zamöra will give your a taster of Hispanic delicacies, with an exclusive menu including tapas, olive assortments, Iberian charcuterie platters and more. And because your opinion matters greatly to us, we hope that after tasting these new dishes you will tell us what you think. Ready? ¡Buen povecho!

But I like my French meals en route. I can and do eat Spanish food while I am in Spain. I don’t particularly want it on the way as well. 

• Like 3

Until we are sure that these new ships will actually call into a French port each week for a crew change then we can't be certain that they will actually be able to take on stock of French food and ingredients. Therefore offering Spanish themed menus makes more sense to me. Ed. 

On 27/09/2019 at 11:36, Cassie said:

But I like my French meals en route. I can and do eat Spanish food while I am in Spain. I don’t particularly want it on the way as well. 

Spot on.  French cuisine is (a) synonymous with what BF stands for, (b) what the chefs onboard know, and (c) in a different gastronomic league.  Spanish fare is great to sample when in Spain, but having it on the crossing as well would not enhance the BF experience.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Until we are sure that these new ships will actually call into a French port each week for a crew change then we can't be certain that they will actually be able to take on stock of French food and ingredients. Therefore offering Spanish themed menus makes more sense to me. Ed. 

True.  And I did make an assumption in my previous post that the catering crew will be French.  If that's not the case then that changes things.  A Spanish chef cooking Spanish cuisine well would be interesting.  But I had the impression that this experiment was being rolled out across all the Spanish fleet, including Pont Aven.  If so then the resevations stand.

The problem is that you are probably having the Spanish food cooked in BF`s large kitchen in Roscoff and distributed from there to be warmed up at sea. All fancy done like. The French chefs onboard, one would imagine, are fairly parochial when it comes to cheffing. Therefore Spanish cuisine not what they are used to cooking. Putting a Spanish chef on board, would cause more trouble than its worth.

So I suppose in the end, the proof of the change will be in the eating....as they say in Sitges

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

So as they will work out of Plymouth/Portsmouth,  they will obviously also offer Yorkshire puddings and Cornish pasties!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nottingham said:

So as they will work out of Plymouth/Portsmouth,  they will obviously also offer Yorkshire puddings and Cornish pasties!

Baked beans and chicken nuggets.

1 hour ago, nottingham said:

Plymouth isn't actually in Cornwall :)

3 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Plymouth isn't actually in Cornwall :)

And Portsmouth isn't in Yorkshire either but I don't think Devon or Hampshire have any globally recognised culinary delicacies. Ed. 

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

And Portsmouth isn't in Yorkshire either but I don't think Devon or Hampshire have any globally recognised culinary delicacies. Ed. 

Devon makes pretty good gin. Perfect for a few pints at breakfast :)

3 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Devon makes pretty good gin. Perfect for a few pints at breakfast :)

What about a cream tea- something which neither the French nor the Spanish would serve ? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cassie said:

What about a cream tea- something which neither the French nor the Spanish would serve ? 

The geographic origin of that is a can of worms that you don't really want to open. Although if you do, the French would probably eat it! Ed

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Cassie said:

Well the wife and I had an excellent cream tea in Audierne a massive choice of teas available and a timer for the perfect brew although I must admit I had coffee.

59 minutes ago, Cassie said:

Devon can't get a cream tea right, so forget that unless they get the Cornish to serve it.

2 hours ago, wortley said:

Will the British fry up breakfast become Vitalidad instead of Vitalité ?

Let's hope the Spanish food is done better than the fried breakfast.

On 27/09/2019 at 11:36, Cassie said:

I am of the same mind - I really enjoy the French meals served on board. BF are a French company and well known for their excellent cuisine, I am not saying the Spanish food won't be good but in my opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it