Answers on a postcard please....

8 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

My first ever BF vessel, Plymouth - Roscoff 08h30, 8th June 1986, after decades of travelling with TT/P&O because Dad had shares offering discounted ferry travel - certainly a game changer for me....🤓

Chris

My first ever BF vessel too (hence the name!).

Slight aside, but I notice Tregastel’s a la carte restaurant was called Le Tregor.

Tregor was the name that was due to be used for the planned charter of Bolero, one of the three 1973 sisters the other two of which were Eagle and Dana Gloria.  I think I recall that BF was going to put her into the fleet as Tregor on the flagship Plymouth/Santander/Roscoff/Cork rotation in 1981, but the plan fell through.

Instead, BF brought in Quiberon the following year, and Bolero went on to serve on Fred Olsen’s North Sea routes (first between Norway and Denmark and later between Norway and Harwich) before becoming Color Line’s Jupiter between Bergen and Newcastle.

Had Bolero entered the BF fleet as Tregor, the upping of the standards on the Spain route would have begun a decade earlier than when Val de Loire joined the fleet.  And it would also have meant she will have followed on from her near sister Eagle in connecting the UK with Iberia.  But I guess she was probably a bit before her time in terms of BF being economically ready to take that step.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Gareth said:

Slight aside, but I notice Tregastel’s a la carte restaurant was called Le Tregor.

Tregor was the name that was due to be used for the planned charter of Bolero, one of the three 1973 sisters the other two of which were Eagle and Dana Gloria.  I think I recall that BF was going to put her into the fleet as Tregor on the flagship Plymouth/Santander/Roscoff/Cork rotation in 1981, but the plan fell through.

Instead, BF brought in Quiberon the following year, and Bolero went on to serve on Fred Olsen’s North Sea routes (first between Norway and Denmark and later between Norway and Harwich) before becoming Color Line’s Jupiter between Bergen and Newcastle.

Had Bolero entered the BF fleet as Tregor, the upping of the standards on the Spain route would have begun a decade earlier than when Val de Loire joined the fleet.  And it would also have meant she will have followed on from her near sister Eagle in connecting the UK with Iberia.  But I guess she was probably a bit before her time in terms of BF being economically ready to take that step.

Slight correction, the ship which became the Dana Gloria and the Bergen-Newcastle Jupiter was one of the later trio of rather larger ships from the same yard built for Silja Line, another became Sealink's Orient Express. They were really classy ships as built and were well suited for cruise ship conversions, which two of them received.

The third of the earlier three, half sister to the Eagle and Bolero, was instead the Massalia, later Scandinavian Star.

I agree though the Tregor would have been an interesting ship to have had on the Spanish route and definitely a step above the Quiberon. According to Fakta she was laid down as the Prince of Fundy II and she did spend a time operating for that Lion Ferry offshoot in north America, so would have been reunited with the original Prince of Fundy (Prince of Brittany) in the BF fleet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1