Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Down at mill.

With a lot of forum members having an interest in machines and engineering I thought I would post a few photos of my friend Robins mill here in Selkirk.

He’s using machines mainly from the 1930’s with the oldest from 1899 and it’s still producing some lovely Tweed and other cloths, including Dr Who’s jacket Matt Smith era and some in designer collections from Vivienne Westwood to mention only one.
(I’ve used an Instagram link as the photos were all over the place rotation wise)

• Like 2

Watched an episode of Secret Scotland with Susan Calman the other day, she went to the Dalgleish mill in Selkirk.  Very interesting seeing how things are done the old fashioned way, really enjoyed watching.  The older machinery is the best.

That’s just along from Robins mill but I didn’t go to school with the owner of that one 😉

The biggest mill in town is Lochcarron but it uses a lot more modern equipment  to produce the goods although they are still super quality, Johnston’s of Elgin have a factory in nearby Hawick where the produce a lot of Cashmere goods and Vicuña shawls and scarfs which are about £900 a pop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

That’s just along from Robins mill but I didn’t go to school with the owner of that one 😉

The biggest mill in town is Lochcarron but it uses a lot more modern equipment  to produce the goods although they are still super quality, Johnston’s of Elgin have a factory in nearby Hawick where the produce a lot of Cashmere goods and Vicuña shawls and scarfs which are about £900 a pop.

Well yeah anything with Johnston on it is of the finest quality...!

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

Well yeah anything with Johnston on it is of the finest quality...!

You could get matching cashmere robes for you and the wife there.48FCB9E9-961B-4CCF-A963-B6E80AE23D06.thumb.jpeg.6be9277f16e2c33adc76915fca7bf2b0.jpeg

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

You could get matching cashmere robes for you and the wife there

She could spin her own using one of her three wheels hiding in boxes since the move but It'd take a lot of goats. She's got tonnes of wool, literally, dwarfs my model stash... her socks and blankets are fantastic and she used to sell them at the annual show at Builth Wells. She doesn't bother much anymore due to NHS workload, interviewing and teaching. Crocheting seems to be the therapy of choice now as it's far quicker, random psychedelic blankets appear on a regular basis which she packs off to a charity called Little Hearts Matter who give them to parents.

Neilcvx, we happened to be in Mysore in Karnataka state and saw vintage Scottish machinery being used for weaving silk saris - the extra feature was that two of their workmen were locked inside a cage of strong iron bars  - they were the ones weaving pure gold thread with the silk. Security was in place.

• Like 1