Sign in to follow this  
Jooles

New fare structure - massive hike in cancellation fees

Is just an extension of the American Airlines olive-reduction campaign. Tiny savings per passenger but a significant reduction in costs over a full year. Ed. 

• Like 1

Deterring speculative “in case” bookings has to be considered welcome.

Does anyone know, does the category of ticket you buy place varying restrictions on ability to change/upgrade etc onboard accommodation?  For example, if you get an Economy ticket, and all you can book is an inside cabin, but later a Commodore becomes available, does the fact that your ticket is Economy restrict ability to change the accommodation?  Or is it just sailing date/time that is fixed?

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Have you noticed that everything is becoming the responsibility of the traveller? I recently struggled to find any staff member at an airport, it was all self scanning for passports, app based boarding card, weighing and then printing your own luggage tags... they'll be getting us to fuel the jet next and canvas all 170 odd to find a pilot.

Everything boils down to money.

If it was Flybe they would definitely have had a human at the gate to check the size of your hand luggage and see how many £50 ' fines' they could levy...

1 minute ago, Paully said:

If it was Flybe they would definitely have had a human at the gate to check the size of your hand luggage and see how many £50 ' fines' they could levy...

No it was every flight leaving Billund from BA to SAS. We went with Sun Air. The problems occurred when groups tried to check their baggage more than 2 hours before departure... cue vacant heads on swivels looking for help... funny how regardless of where we're from we all have the same facial expression when in need of assistance. Nice little airport though, cracking shop upstairs stocking lots of Jonno's much desired body pong!

• Haha 1

There was an increase last year I believe.  To be honest its hard to blame the operator.  Its been common practice for some people to make a number of speculative bookings while they decide when to go only to cancel those they don't need when they do.  All it does is force up prices for everyone else due to reduced availability and makes forecasting passenger levels for the operator a lot more difficult!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gareth said:

Deterring speculative “in case” bookings has to be considered welcome.

Does anyone know, does the category of ticket you buy place varying restrictions on ability to change/upgrade etc onboard accommodation?  For example, if you get an Economy ticket, and all you can book is an inside cabin, but later a Commodore becomes available, does the fact that your ticket is Economy restrict ability to change the accommodation?  Or is it just sailing date/time that is fixed?

It's possible to upgrade the cabin, but the amendment fee may apply. I believe the fee is going to be applied more consistently than previous years.

• Thanks 1

The new conditions have an extensive bit on amendments:-

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/terms/general-ferry-booking-terms#after

The relevant section is below, it would appear that the amendment cutoff times apply to individual sailing times and not just the outward ones (however that needs confirming and is different in wording to the website).

I am unclear whether changing both legs would incur one fee or two - I would hope one given the comment about fees per booking. I note that the extra fee for changing via the call centre has been removed.

AMENDMENTS BY YOU

We understand that your plans may change and so we provide you with a range of different ticket options so that you can choose the one which is most suitable for your needs. 

If you wish to make a change to your booking after we have issued the booking confirmation, please ask the Lead Name to contact us. We do not have a legal obligation to make any changes to your booking, but we may, at our sole discretion, try to accommodate your request. If we agree to make a change, you agree to pay us an amendment fee in accordance with the terms set out in the table below.

Ticket type Economy Standard Flexi Special offers
Amendment fee
“Per Booking”
£20/€20 fee per amendment

Free amendments up to 2 weeks prior to sailing

£20/€20 per amendment within 2 weeks of sailing

Free amendments up to 4 hours prior to sailing 

£20/€20 per amendment within 4 hours of sailing

Amendments are not permitted
Additional conditions

Amendments are not permitted for no shows (after scheduled departure time)

You will also be liable to pay for any increase in the ticket price caused by the amendment.

Does this now mean we will be charged for making amendments online as well, where at present we can make changes in advance free of charge.

7 minutes ago, Solo said:

Does this now mean we will be charged for making amendments online as well, where at present we can make changes in advance free of charge.

That seems  to be the case £20 unless you book Flexi.

Having now reviewed the prices published today, the implications, using a single journey from Portsmouth to Caen with car and two adults in May as an example is as follows:

2019 fare  £119 with 30% deposit upfront.

2020 fare £115 economy with 100 deposit upfront

2020 fare £125 standard with 50% deposit upfront

2020 fare £135 flexi with 25% deposit upfront.

Net effect is that the new standard fare has increased some 5% compared with this year, but the upfront deposit has risen from 30% to 50%.

On 16/10/2019 at 06:07, neilcvx said:

Well booked for the summer £10 more for standard fare over economy and £10 on top of that for Flexi , doesn’t seem too bad imo.

Cancel up to 4 hours before departure!

I'd say thats amazing!

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Cancel up to 4 hours before departure!

I'd say thats amazing!

It might be designed for those who get stuck somewhere around Orleans or Poitiers due to striking French farmers etc and realise they won't make it to the port in time. Ed. 

The increase in fares from Cork is ridiculous ... my new dates for July would see me pay 1600 euro (50%deposit !!) return for a 4 berth, 2 kids sharing ........ Irish ferries from Dublin to Cherbourg on the same dates 1125 euro ( only 100 euro deposit) and that's with a 5 berth cabin .... they actually have 6 berth cabins on WBY.  ..... it would mean an extra 3 hours drive time as it's Cherbourg and not Roscoff, but i'll take that any day.

11 minutes ago, Geezer said:

The increase in fares from Cork is ridiculous ... my new dates for July would see me pay 1600 euro (50%deposit !!) return for a 4 berth, 2 kids sharing ........ Irish ferries from Dublin to Cherbourg on the same dates 1125 euro ( only 100 euro deposit) and that's with a 5 berth cabin .... they actually have 6 berth cabins on WBY.  ..... it would mean an extra 3 hours drive time as it's Cherbourg and not Roscoff, but i'll take that any day.

And with close to €500 saved you can afford to eat on board too. Ed.

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

And with close to €500 saved you can afford to eat on board too. Ed.

500 euro is the guts of a weeks mobile home rental :D

Portsmouth to Caen 1445 out and 0830 back in mid June with car, Caravan and 2 adults return price quoted by B/F is £460.

Exactly same sailings booked with Caravan Club and the return price is quoted at £252 - and that includes fees for four nights on a choice of good campsites. 

Assume those four nights would cost me at least £52 and the ferry fare part of the costing drops to £200.

If the Caravan Club as an agency can do it for £200, and presumably make a profit, why is B/F wanting to charge me £460?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, wortley said:

Portsmouth to Caen 1445 out and 0830 back in mid June with car, Caravan and 2 adults return price quoted by B/F is £460.

Exactly same sailings booked with Caravan Club and the return price is quoted at £252 - and that includes fees for four nights on a choice of good campsites. 

Assume those four nights would cost me at least £52 and the ferry fare part of the costing drops to £200.

If the Caravan Club as an agency can do it for £200, and presumably make a profit, why is B/F wanting to charge me £460?

I'd say the reason is probably that BF have already sold your place to the Caravan Club at cost price plus 5% so were in the money before you even planned your trip and now just hope your onboard spend is lucrative. Selling to you direct costs BF more in staffing, web support and potentially compensation if something breaks so they up the price. And then double it for good measure.  Ed. 

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Something has changed with respect to CV discounted day cabins & I haven't worked out the logic yet for upgrading to an outside cabin - the prices quoted are a lot higher than before !

I queried this on Twitter & received the following:-

The pricing tariff for cabins has changed, however, I understand that there is an issue with the pricing on certain daytime cabins for Club Voyage members. The team are working on it but in the meantime if you have made a booking please DM the details and we'll take a look. ^JE

I sent them a DM and received a reduction in the cabin price, there is obviously a bug with pricing discounted day cabins !

The moral is check the pricing and query if needed and the social media team are great !

6 hours ago, wortley said:

6 hours ago, wortley said:

I remember doing the very same thing years ago and got a cracking good deal with Caravan and Dog Club. 

Came to cancel it, boy was I clobbered. Admin plus cancellation fee £70. I never saw that coming and that was over 10 years ago. Suggest you read the CC deal T &Cs. I may be wrong or it may have changed now.

Stu

Edited by straightfeed