News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021

22 hours ago, jonno said:

Poole will be key in moving freight into the U.K. from the the Cherbourg rail link. BF have basically ring fenced the port as the exclusive entry point.

Don't under estimate Poole's freight capacity,  whether it's unaccompanied either to or from Spain or France.

They have space for 100 trailers on the hard standing, not including marshalling lanes (a further 70) and there is capacity for a further 100 trailers on the hard standing where the timber is stored which could be condensed.

Arrowed is the power station site - now how many trucks could fit in that.

F500FE79-ABB7-4773-AC33-638B47306524.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of her from the pilot boat this morning. 

Hope this is ok - uploaded to you tube.    

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

Arrowed is the power station site - now how many trucks could fit in that.

F500FE79-ABB7-4773-AC33-638B47306524.jpeg

Exactly what I was thinking. Add manned security, toilets, a cafe and the town will be creating a few jobs too. Truck stop and hard standing.

Eh Khainsey, is the bridge across the one that was strengthened the other year?

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Add manned security, toilets, a cafe and the town will be creating a few jobs too. Truck stop and hard standing.

Eh Khainsey, is the bridge across the one that was strengthened the other year?

The bridge nearest the arrowed site is Twin Sails. The other is the older Poole Town Bridge.  Both keep getting work done, so have lost track of what has been done to which one.  The Town Bridge was closed for many months due to replacement of the spans and the Sails has been recently closed due to having some bits replaced.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, colinschandler said:

It is a shame that there is no direct railway connection to the port unlike Cherbourg. There would then be a great opportunity for a new venture to transfer BF trailer mounted containers from SNCF to BR and viz versa

There is a rail line into the port area in Poole, and can be seen as the brown line in the photo. It would need some work at the port end to bring it into use, but the rails themselves are still in place. The new residents of the housing just below the arrowed area would welcome rail transport as there is a plan for a new road around their houses to come into the port area.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Interesting photos Brigitte and thanks for posting. I’m not sure we need images of the men’s loo though - I was wondering what you get extra for the 299 Krona option compared to 149 and 159 SEK...🤣

Chris

Not privacy, that's for sure.

Ed

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Interesting photos Brigitte and thanks for posting. I’m not sure we need images of the men’s loo though - I was wondering what you get extra for the 299 Krona option compared to 149 and 159 SEK...🤣

Chris

Maybe it's an aim straight incentive?

• Haha 1

On a related but more on-topic note... I presume the 'Lock the door' image comes from one of the cabins, where bathrooms are shared between two cabins and thus you must remember to lock the other occupants out.

I was once told this was a contributing reason for not wanting to allow any kind of minimal passenger service onboard.

8 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I have heard the gents loos in Waverley have a porthole just above the urinals, so keeping a straight aim while looking out of the window in lumpy sea must be a tad difficult..😂

It's the same on the Armorique, loo by the bar, loo with a view.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Are all the posts showing up ok, got a notification for a reply by David Williams 20 minutes ago according to the notification - nothing there?  Forum glitch?  Cannot see the reply my end!!

There was an earlier post that David had updated to request it was deleted - think it was this thread. Unfortunately, once a notification is created they don't seem to update that well if what you're looking at has been removed or if you've already read it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Hmmm, glitch in the system indeed! Hopefully a Mod can delete the two extra posts 😜

I just thought you were trying to prove a point! ;) Excess posts removed.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

As expected, the Power station site has been purchased by BCP Council. They intend to build houses, so it won't fit many trucks at all.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18764637.holes-bay-power-station-site-bought-bcp-council/

I would hold your horses until after December.  They might well build houses at some point, but if we get no deal, then that land may well get used in the interim, especially if it is commandeered by the Government to provide extra capacity.  

1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

As expected, the Power station site has been purchased by BCP Council. They intend to build houses, so it won't fit many trucks at all.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18764637.holes-bay-power-station-site-bought-bcp-council/

As I understand it work isn't scheduled to start on house building until mid 2023. Past promises regarding the site probably means you can add at least ten years to that. 

• Andy changed the title to Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021