News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021

I still don’t see why Poole needs a lorry Park. Brexit doesn’t increase lorries, it just means that they may take longer to be processed at the other end. That is an issue in Kent due to the number of crossings, however why is it relevant in Poole or Portsmouth ?

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of her from the pilot boat this morning. 

Hope this is ok - uploaded to you tube.    

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I still don’t see why Poole needs a lorry Park. Brexit doesn’t increase lorries, it just means that they may take longer to be processed at the other end. That is an issue in Kent due to the number of crossings, however why is it relevant in Poole or Portsmouth ?

If Kent gets to bad a lot of trucks could be sent further west.  I bet BF would love to see Cot and Barf running a shuttle service with the extra demand.

I would imagine that hauliers may be inclined to look at alternatives to the Tunnel/short sea routes if it takes hours or even days to clear the ports. Poole-Cherbourg accounted for nearly 20,000 freight units in 2018/19 plus Pelican or Bore Bay to Spain. The Port of Dover and the Tunnel between them handle over 4,000,000 (yes 4 million!) a year so even if only 1% decide to head to Poole the PHC will need all the space they can lay their hands on.

With more frequent sailings to and from Portsmouth it will be an even greater issue there...

Chris 

35 minutes ago, Solo said:

If Kent gets to bad a lot of trucks could be sent further west.  I bet BF would love to see Cot and Barf running a shuttle service with the extra demand.

Depending what they decide to do with Cotentin, she would need to go for repainting at least.  Barfleur will need hauling out of her flowery dell and she would probably need repainting.  Would both need to go to dry dock?

On 25/09/2020 at 08:38, Trun said:

There is a rail line into the port area in Poole, and can be seen as the brown line in the photo. It would need some work at the port end to bring it into use, but the rails themselves are still in place. The new residents of the housing just below the arrowed area would welcome rail transport as there is a plan for a new road around their houses to come into the port area.

Hadn't spotted that. Being a Train Enthusiast, I just made a virtual trip down the line from the junction at the Station thanks to google earth (2018). But see what you mean, I had to put the loco in reverse when i got to the walled off Level crossing at the entrance to the port. Beyond that the track seemed be used for storage or at least in 2018 and a bit further on tracks lifted. Very interesting little branch line though, would make good albeit short heritage line.

26 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Hadn't spotted that. Being a Train Enthusiast, I just made a virtual trip down the line from the junction at the Station thanks to google earth (2018). But see what you mean, I had to put the loco in reverse when i got to the walled off Level crossing at the entrance to the port. Beyond that the track seemed be used for storage or at least in 2018 and a bit further on tracks lifted. Very interesting little branch line though, would make good albeit short heritage line.

Level crossing at entrance to Poole.

3FACC5AC-1B03-4071-A3AA-447FE03F3F9C.jpeg

Edited by Khaines
3 hours ago, Rattler43 said:

As I understand it work isn't scheduled to start on house building until mid 2023. Past promises regarding the site probably means you can add at least ten years to that. 

The difference now being is that they have purchased the land. So yes, it may still take time for any works to start but, non the less, it is still one hurdle cleared. 

In 2016 or 2017 a new footbridge was built over the track a bit further up, with the intention that the track could be used. The metal railings wouldn't take long to remove if needed to. I've no idea where any intended freight traffic would start / finish from on this track, or what would be required to bring it into use, but a container train was used to test this branch and on via the mainline several years ago.

30 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

My June 2019 google street view shows the crossing barriers gone, a metal fence on the left of the crossing in this picture and what appears to be work being done to do the same on the right. However I guess that you have passed over this crossing many, many times.

poole.jpg

21 hours ago, David Williams said:

BF are about to have a rail link which focuses on Cherbourg & Poole to carry 2100 trailers a month, they'll need to go somewhere prior to collection. The hardstanding at Portsmouth Port is already at it's limit and ideally needs to be larger especially as the E Flexers will attract more freight, there are already 4 lorry parks around the area with more planned, one up next to junction 11 on the M27 for instance.

The issues with Dover could be solved easily and quickly. There are hundreds of places along the M2, M26 & M20 where lorry parks could be built with driver facilities. 

There's a rumour that Channel Ports Ltd are looking at various sites, one is for a huge extension to their Folkstone services already on the M20 which will be sited on the opposite carriageway and another on the Folkstone Road by the Premier inn. I heard about it in 2019 but there's been nothing since. Friend I have no longer works at the Dover Port, he's gone to Immingham.

Take a look at their CustomsPro set up, a platform which has been specifically designed and built for electronic customs clearance post January 1st.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

My June 2019 google street view shows the crossing barriers gone, a metal fence on the left of the crossing in this picture and what appears to be work being done to do the same on the right. However I guess that you have passed over this crossing many, many times.

poole.jpg

I thought the stone trains were reintroduced in 2017, they were still running early 2018?

27 minutes ago, jonno said:

I thought the stone trains were reintroduced in 2017, they were still running early 2018?

Yes they were for a short period of time. I used to see them at Hamworthy Junction or Poole depending on how late they were running as I was heading to London

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/10/2020 at 12:39, colinschandler said:

poole.jpg

After the crossing most the track on port land is unusable, having been removed and tarmaced over further along. Few isolated remnants on the dockside themselves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the right place for this...sorry if it's discussed else where... but I notice, that according to the ferry site Cotentin finished on her present rout to Gdanya on 29 October 2020, does this mean that her charter is now complete and if so, is she likely to be returning to BF?

• Andy changed the title to Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021?
  • Andy changed the title to Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021