News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of her from the pilot boat this morning. 

Hope this is ok - uploaded to you tube.    

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

All the pics I've seen so far have shown an apparently very lightly loaded Cotentin. Does anyone have more info on how much is being carried? I know it's still early days in the process..

Am also wondering what the process is for booking the freight and costs to hauliers? What percentage is the govt recouping (if any) of the costs of shipping this way?

I think you'll find that most operators are running light at the moment.

DFDS have introduced the second vessel on the Dieppe to fulfil their GOV contact. But several shipping lines are prepared for a downturn this month due to stockpiles built up over previous months.

Regarding Etretat, could we possibly see her on the  Dunkerque to Rosslare service for DFDS in place of the Visby?

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Timmy said:

P&O had proposed that they would stop taking unaccompanied freight in it's last redundancy announcement.  I wonder if there has been a rapid backtracking on that after the Christmas chaos?

That would be great for BF presumably? Mop up some short-sea traffic?

3 hours ago, jonno said:

I'm sure I read that the rail gauge for the tunnel has now been aligned with that found in Europe meaning that now they can transport a lot of inter modal freight. I think it was the obstacle for PSA wanting to transport vehicles to the U.K. too hence the ships from Vigo?

The tunnel itself has never been the issue as it has always had what was the largest loading gauge in the Europe. It is Britain's loading gauges severely limit the size of trains. Even with ongoing works to enhance loading gauge still not to European standards though. CTRL is built to larger European gauging standards and has freight loops, but that will only get you to London.

Beyond CTRL high cube containers can be accommodated on the larger loading gauges (W10, W12) in the UK. JLR etc use UK sized vehicle rail wagons. The other issue you have in the UK is lack of rail freight capacity at points on the network.

However it is more economical / flexible to use car transport ships for moving large numbers of vehicles. ABP alone handle around 1.7m cars a year.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

All the pics I've seen so far have shown an apparently very lightly loaded Cotentin. Does anyone have more info on how much is being carried? I know it's still early days in the process..

Am also wondering what the process is for booking the freight and costs to hauliers? What percentage is the govt recouping (if any) of the costs of shipping this way?

Just heard this walking on the docks in Cherbourg yesterday, it emerged that Cotentin left Cherbourg totally empty at least on saturday night, and is carrying around 20/30 trailers Uk-bound and almost nothing back to Cherbourg. 

Meanwhile Stena Horizon and Epsilon were departing full the same days. 

1 hour ago, CH1 said:

Just heard this walking on the docks in Cherbourg yesterday, it emerged that Cotentin left Cherbourg totally empty at least on saturday night, and is carrying around 20/30 trailers Uk-bound and almost nothing back to Cherbourg. 

Meanwhile Stena Horizon and Epsilon were departing full the same days. 

No great surprise, apparently Portsmouth had about a third of normal freight today.

As the tariffs, or lack of them, were not clear until 24 Dec, a lot of freight has already moved, it will increase to normal levels soon.  The extra capacity was more of an insurance against Calais getting overwhelmed with the UK government able to ensure priority shipments get across if the red tape becomes a problem.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Both Cotentin and Armorique in Cherbourg this afternoon, along with Galicia. Hopefully someone is able to get a photo of them together. 

Pity the webcam at Cherbourg isn’t as generous as the fjb one in Poole.  Could get some great shots.

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

The other interesting aspect of the article is the reference to the Cherbourg rail link for freight next year - I had been wondering whether the return of Cotentin was, in part, in preparation for an increase in freight sailings from the UK to Cherbourg once that happens, and it seems like that is indeed on the agenda.  Wouldn’t surprise me to see Cotentin switch to a Portsmouth-Cherbourg freight service when this new Cherbourg freight hub comes on stream.

I fully agree with you, and I think that the future of Cherbourg berth's number 5 should be also kept in mind. It has been refurbished in the recent years, was used to load and unload Toyota cars from PCC back in the 1980's

Maybe it can be used as a berth dedicated to the additional traffic brought by the rail link, if things were about to turn big and successful. It would keep the conventionnal ropax terminal not too busy.  Only supposition of course. 

Berth 1 will be dismantled soon, from what I know. Berth 5 was entirely renovated two years ago, and although the wind turbine blades plant is taking a lot of land space, there is still a possibility for that berth to be used for a ship like Pélican-type for example that can carry the unaccompanied freight. 

Back on the Cotentin topic, do you think there is any possibility that she could replace Connemara at the end of her charter ? Once the three flexers will be delivered, I guess there will be enough lanemeters on UK-Spain routes to cope with the traffic. Cotentin could be a good shift for the Rosslare-Bilbao line. 

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Khaines said:

A couple of unhappy Brexit fans in the comments because of the French connection..🙄

I don't think the article helped though by stating "The vessel is crewed entirely by French seafarers", after pointing out she is part of the governments deal! They could have easily left that part out.

Of course, they don't mention and probably don't know she is running pretty empty most of the time.

19 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

I don't think the article helped though by stating "The vessel is crewed entirely by French seafarers", after pointing out she is part of the governments deal! They could have easily left that part out.

Of course, they don't mention and probably don't know she is running pretty empty most of the time.

The irony being that those commenting are seeing this as a criticism of France / the EU! 😱

57 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

The irony being that those commenting are seeing this as a criticism of France / the EU! 😱

No, they were criticising the UK government for paying money effectively to French workers.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Gareth said:

No, they were criticising the UK government for paying money effectively to French workers.

Yes, they don't like the fact that BF is a French company yet can't make the link as to why there is no British alternative

• Like 4
20 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

One by a poster that shares a profile name on here!

Not me - I cannot comment, deleted my online Echo account due to the same people every day.  Comments are a bit of a social club for about 20 people.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Not me - I cannot comment, deleted my online Echo account due to the same people every day.  Comments are a bit of a social club for about 20 people.

Don`t blame you..I think most newspapers are exactly the same..If you`re bored try the Huddersfield Examiner comments, I think its probably the same people.

• Like 3