News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of her from the pilot boat this morning. 

Hope this is ok - uploaded to you tube.    

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Khaines said:

The rumour that Cotentin will be converted to carry pax and replace Barfy has died a death hasn’t it...😉

For now I think, but never say never.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

BF will not use Cotentin as a passenger ship without major alterations.  (But I sense some deja vu in this conversation).

The reopening to passengers is, however, under consideration according to the BF teams on site.

14 minutes ago, LHCity said:

???

If Stena was able to do it, I don't see where the problem is.

Shared bathrooms are not the most popular amenities, however time will tell when things are back to normal. If passenger traffic picks up significantly they could go back to the plan of adding more cabins. Re comments like ‘under consideration’ that is a standard response like ‘Your sailing is currently scheduled’ when someone asks about a mid May crossing.

• Like 1

It’s about understanding your market.  BF knows that its British customer base will not accept the facilities David describes.  The facts speak for themselves - BF originally announced a plan, as Brigitte said, to convert Cotentin for passenger use.  And now those plans have been scrapped.  It doesn’t take a genius to work out, from those facts, that BF’s view is that, to use Cotentin as a passenger ship, she will need conversion.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s about understanding your market.  BF knows that its British customer base will not accept the facilities David describes.  The facts speak for themselves - BF originally announced a plan, as Brigitte said, to convert Cotentin for passenger use.  And now those plans have been scrapped.  It doesn’t take a genius to work out, from those facts, that BF’s view is that, to use Cotentin as a passenger ship, she will need conversion.

Of course, there is a flip-side to that argument.  It might depend on what sort of passenger capacity BF thinks will be needed on the route.  If they are expecting only to need to accommodate a token passenger provision, in what is mainly a freight route, then BF may think they can open Cotentin up to those limited numbers without needing to allocate cabins requiring shared use of facilities.  As a short-term fix to a need to provide a token passenger facility in a post-Covid recovery phase, maybe that’s a possibility.

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Passengers travelling on reclining seats on other ships, must be well accommodated by shared toilets and showers? At least that would justify the eco class for once.

• Like 1

On the occasion, I think it was Barfy’s first lay up, Condor Express took over the Poole - Cherbourg crossing, and I remember having to get NEX back to Portsmouth because there was no evening crossing back to Poole.  Except Cotentin who was docked in Cherbourg at the time waiting for her crossing to POOLE!  I remember being quite miffed that I had to go to Portsmouth, get a train back to Southampton, then change trains for Bournemouth.  I got home well past 1.am, but had been hanging around train stations late night which was unnerving.  When I would have happily got on Cotentin as that would have meant just a 20 minute cab ride back to mine.  I would not have required a cabin as I would not have done had it bee Barfleur. I think non cabin travel for short journeys should not be a problem.

That said, I really enjoyed NEX!!!  

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, David Williams said:

And the day crossings highlight the lack of facilities.

In the case of Poole - Cherbourg, quite frankly how many facilities does one want.  This is why so many of Barf’s regulars are perfectly happy with her regardless of her lack of facilities.  You don’t need a whole load of stuff just for such a short crossing.  Most people just like to sit and relax the time away interspersed with trips to the refreshment facilities or shop.  Or just sit outdoors and enjoy the fresh air.  Nothing else is really needed.

• Like 1

The problem I would have is that having skipped a nights sleep to arrive Poole for a morning departure, the crossing is too  short to 'catch up' and the drive down the peninsular makes it a very exhausting route.  I have done the route, but not recently for these reasons.  Each to his own!

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

And the day crossings highlight the lack of facilities.

The Passengers to Le Havre have hardly been spoilt for Facilities over the last decade or so 😀

5 minutes ago, chid679 said:

The Passengers to Le Havre have hardly been spoilt for Facilities over the last decade or so 😀

Indeed.  The day crossing will have been a bind, but the overnight crossing quite comfortable.

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Indeed.  The day crossing will have been a bind, but the overnight crossing quite comfortable.

Indeed, very comfortable as each cabin has it’s own bathroom & we seem to have come full circle.

Edited by David Williams
1 hour ago, chid679 said:

57 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Indeed, very comfortable as each cabin has it’s own bathroom & we seem to have come full circle.

Can it be added to shower rooms and toilets in every cabin?