News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of her from the pilot boat this morning. 

Hope this is ok - uploaded to you tube.    

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

Posted Images

Long overdue in my opinion. 

Only slight downside is that she will basically become "Armorique 2", or "Armorique Jr" depending on the extent of the work...

She is a deck lower though due to to her arctic-height deck 5 - so I wonder how that will work into any pax block added on. I Imagine just have a full length Freight height deck on 5, and just have 3 floors above, not 4 like Armorique.

Oh - forgot, she will have to be srubberised as well.
Hopefully that can be retro-fitted now and done in a way which doens't involve permanently dumping 5 stories of scaffolding on the side of her funnel like Armorique!

3 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Only slight downside is that she will basically become "Armorique 2"

Why’s that a downside?  Sounds a perfect way of raising the standards on Poole-Cherbourg.  Armorique’s stint at Poole on refit cover duty almost led to the Barfleur fan club jumping ship! 🤣

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Why’s that a downside?  Sounds a perfect way of raising the standards on Poole-Cherbourg.  Armorique’s stint at Poole on refit cover duty almost led to the Barfleur fan club jumping ship! 🤣

Because, It's nice to have a variety of ships in the fleet isn't it! Barfy has a very unique character. Shame to have a fleet of clones in the post flexer future!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Brigitte is probably still choking over her mid morning croissant 🥐 !

I think you do Brigitte a disservice Chris, as much as she loves Barflour I think the main thing she wants is a good ferry service from Poole, which I think we all want from our nearest ports.

• Like 1
  • Jim locked and unlocked this topic
11 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Because, It's nice to have a variety of ships in the fleet isn't it! Barfy has a very unique character. Shame to have a fleet of clones in the post flexer future!

That’s true, and I agree.  On the other hand, (a) they won’t be identical, and (b) the principle of unique ships has already been abandoned with the plethora of Vissentinis in the fleet and the pending arrival of triplets from China!

18 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I think we all did the same when NEX visited!  All Barfy’s regulars booked up.  Case of while the cat’s away....

13 minutes ago, Solo said:

I think you do Brigitte a disservice Chris, as much as she loves Barflour I think the main thing she wants is a good ferry service from Poole, which I think we all want from our nearest ports.

I am used to it, haha.  I am quite looking forward to Cotentin, always wanted a trip on her.  Out of interest of Barfy, is she actually LEAVING the fleet or just being replaced in Poole?  Is she being sent on a route we don’t know about yet?  

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s true, and I agree.  On the other hand, (a) they won’t be identical, and (b) the principle of unique ships has already been abandoned with the plethora of Vissentinis in the fleet and the pending arrival of triplets from China!

Yes, I hear that. But the Kerry should be quite different to Etretat and Connemara, I would hope.

That's why I better enjoy Barfy while I can. 

Wonder where she will go after... probably Moby!

While it may be nice to have a fleet of one off's for variety it doesn't really make much commercial sense when it comes to maintenance and coverage for ships off station for refits/repairs etc.

Many cruise ships these days come in classes with the basics the same but different interior decoratiions and external paint jobs. Cheaper to build and to operate.

59 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

1 hour ago, Solo said:

It was said rather tongue in cheek Solo...😉

I personally think this is a plan to actually grow the Poole -Cherbourg service, otherwise what’s the point ? Barfleur’s Achilles heel has from day one been far too few cabins. If it was possible an Armorique 2 would make total sense to me, allowing a proper overnight crossing from  UK and afternoon return as Armorique operates most of the year on Plymouth - Roscoff, or even a 3 crossings per day schedule as Barfleur did in her early life. In high season you could envisage 2 round trips, her increased speed would make this comfortable rather than tight as it was almost 2 decades ago. 

Then of course the perfect solution of Cotentin operating a triangular schedule alongside NX, Poole -Cherbourg -Portsmouth to further dissuade any competitor who might be tempted to run against them. 

All food for thought but nothing impossible there...

Chris

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

I am used to it, haha.  I am quite looking forward to Cotentin, always wanted a trip on her.  Out of interest of Barfy, is she actually LEAVING the fleet or just being replaced in Poole?  Is she being sent on a route we don’t know about yet?  

There's still several years to decide what happens with Barfleur.

(I'm going out to the shop now to stock up on popcorn to see the theories everyone comes up with)

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Seashore said:

If entertaining speculation...

Cotentin: Poole-Cherbourg

Barfleur: Plymouth-Roscoff

Armorique: Portsmouth-St Malo

Bretagne: thank you for 32 years

(ducks for cover!)

More likely to get PA on St M

One of the things I find a bit strange is that the new passenger ramp in Poole was specially made for Barfy, wasn’t it?  Who paid for that, BF or Poole Port?  It is fixed and not moveable - so what happens there?  Cotentin will have to be fitted with a foot pax door in exactly the right place to align - guess that is what would happen.  

Edited by Khaines
6 minutes ago, Khaines said:

One of the things I find a bit strange is that the new passenger ramp in Poole was specially made for Barfy, wasn’t it?  Who paid for that, BF or Poole Port?  It is fixed and not moveable - so what happens there?  Cotentin will have to be fitted with a foot pax door in exactly the right place to align - guess that is what would happen.  

I believe comment was passed on here at the time about the folly of building such a facility designed only to fit one ship.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

It was said rather tongue in cheek Solo...😉

I personally think this is a plan to actually grow the Poole -Cherbourg service, otherwise what’s the point ? Barfleur’s Achilles heel has from day one been far too few cabins. If it was possible an Armorique 2 would make total sense to me, allowing a proper overnight crossing from  UK and afternoon return as Armorique operates most of the year on Plymouth - Roscoff, or even a 3 crossings per day schedule as Barfleur did in her early life. In high season you could envisage 2 round trips, her increased speed would make this comfortable rather than tight as it was almost 2 decades ago. 

Then of course the perfect solution of Cotentin operating a triangular schedule alongside NX, Poole -Cherbourg -Portsmouth to further dissuade any competitor who might be tempted to run against them. 

All food for thought but nothing impossible there...

Chris

Makes sense Chris. I can't imagine spending any amount of millions to do the work, with a brief of "create 72 cabins".

Equally perhaps not a full-clone, not the 228. Far less public space available too because of the loss of that deck I mentioned. Would be nice to see maybe 170 cabins, and a decent few facilities; shop, restaurant, bar bolted on for the public areas.

One consideration I had, is whether they would dare to bin the Pelican or Bore Bay, and continue the previously popular once weekly Spain rotation. That would mean only a 5 day per week Cherboug sailing tops. (but also introduce a passenger service for Poole - Spain. As Rylan would say, #excitingtimes :)

Edited by hf_uk

Are BF going to issue a press release about this?  I was told via Messenger via someone who works on Barfy, that BF have said that the French journalist who wrote the article has “jumped the gun” and have not decided what they are going to do with regards to Cotentin and Barfleur.  So quite confusing.  I wish BF would issue an official statement.

I have heard this for some time from various people. I dont think it is something that will be 'announced' officially anytime soon with all that is happening, but I reckon it's a likely bet to occur a little way down the line...

Let’s be frank, recalling a 12 year-old previously-discarded freighter and adding a bit of passenger accommodation to it, in order to replace an iconic legend (to its loyal customer base) is not exactly fanfare material.  Of great interest to those of us in the know about the history etc, sure.  But difficult to turn into a PR goldmine.

Why is it when news like this appears everyone assumes it means a ship will be sold? When Honfleur was announced Normandie was on her way. It was the same response regarding Cap Finistere when Galicia was announced... and still is to some degree even though BF have said she'll be fitted with cost saving, emission friendly hybrid engines. 

Passenger & freight numbers are growing. BF will need more berths & lane metres not less.

BF think long term, they wouldn't have invested millions on scrubbers for Barfleur when they new even then when Cotentin would return. I have a feeling that have a fleet plan for both Cotentin & Barfleur either on established routes or on new ones expanding their network.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Let’s be frank, recalling a 12 year-old previously-discarded freighter and adding a bit of passenger accommodation to it, in order to replace an iconic legend (to its loyal customer base) is not exactly fanfare material.  Of great interest to those of us in the know about the history etc, sure.  But difficult to turn into a PR goldmine.

Or you could say, the sister of one of the youngest and most versatile vessels in the fleet, and one which have never been seen by non-freight passengers. economical, and suited to both ports! She was only discarded because she bled cash on French sailings. Was always packed to Spain!

8 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Or you could say, the sister of one of the youngest and most versatile vessels in the fleet, and one which have never been seen by non-freight passengers. economical, and suited to both ports! She was only discarded because she bled cash on French sailings. Was always packed to Spain!

(I don't work in PR) :)

It's strange, I wonder why Stena wanted her in the first place. They have so many roro/ropax. BF are chartering 2 or 3 at the moment arn't they...

• Andy changed the title to Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021