News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021

Just now, LHCity said:

I thought it was a forum for the exchange of ideas I don't pretend to know the truth, but for the moment nobody knows where Barfleur is going

I certainly do not wish to offend you, nor to argue against open debate. I was simply trying to help you avoid feeling unappreciated....

• Like 1
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of her from the pilot boat this morning. 

Hope this is ok - uploaded to you tube.    

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

Posted Images

LD Lines shelved this route in 2008, and 3 years later the Hindhead tunnel opened which means it's just as quick to get from Portsmouth to Central London as it is from Newhaven - and an easier drive for good measure...

We're always keen to hear of new ideas on this forum but I would imagine one day putting a second vessel on Portsmouth - Le Havre will take precedent over looking at Newhaven. Unless DFDS no longer receive their subsidy and decide to quit the port altogether. 

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 2

Barf will stay at Poole - Cherbourg as normal most likely.  She has proven she is not suitable to other routes, she has not been successful.  She was built for her present route specifically, just as other members of the fleet are built for their specific routes.  Only jacks of all trades are Armorique and probably NEX.  At the moment nobody knows what is going to be happening anywhere, but I doubt Barfy will serve elsewhere.  She would go abroad to finish her days probably if she goes anywhere before she gets the proper chop.

47 minutes ago, LHCity said:

, but for the moment nobody knows where Barfleur is going

The only place she can go right now is back down the canal towards the sea. Any other direction and she's likley to get a bit stuck. Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

CDA and 7S are the absolute maximum length that can turn inside the harbour at Newhaven.  They were built to thar spec for that purpose.

Regarding Newhaven-Le Havre, I actually thought that of all the quirky routes that LD tried, that one had the most promise.  How it would have fared if LD had given it longer to establish, and had they marketed it properly, we’ll never know.  But I think they only gave it 2 seasons before instead switching to the lunacy of Dover-Dieppe.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

CDA and 7S are the absolute maximum length that can turn inside the harbour at Newhaven.  They were built to thar spec for that purpose.

Regarding Newhaven-Le Havre, I actually thought that of all the quirky routes that LD tried, that one had the most promise.  How it would have fared if LD had given it longer to establish, and had they marketed it properly, we’ll never know.  But I think they only gave it 2 seasons before instead switching to the lunacy of Dover-Dieppe.

Cote d'Albatre and Seven Sisters turn around at sea. They enter from the front and exit in reverse. The maximum lenght is for Dieppe, not for Newhaven.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Cote d'Albatre and Seven Sisters turn around at sea

Under normal circumstances, yes. But if the wind is gusting too strongly they will swing around within the confines of Newhaven harbour using the stern lines to keep the ship as tight as possible to the dockside. I've been onboard when that has happened and there are special metal structures fixed to the pilings to limit the damage causge by the wash. Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 6
43 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Under normal circumstances, yes. But if the wind is gusting too strongly they will swing around within the confines of Newhaven harbour using the stern lines to keep the ship as tight as possible to the dockside. I've been onboard when that has happened and there are special metal structures fixed to the pilings to limit the damage causge by the wash. Ed

Although the Dieppe I think must have always turned outside and come into port? Although she was not particularly a successful Dieppe ship.

What's shocking, to me at least, is that the Seven Sisters and Cote d'Albatre are fast coming up to being the route's longest-serving car ferries.

• Like 1
On 03/05/2020 at 16:01, hhvferry said:

What's shocking, to me at least, is that the Seven Sisters and Cote d'Albatre are fast coming up to being the route's longest-serving car ferries.

Maybe because they were purpose built for the route as opposed to just being cast-off's from Dover-Calais

3 minutes ago, chid679 said:

Maybe because they were purpose built for the route as opposed to just being cast-off's from Dover-Calais

To be fair the ships they'll be beating, Valencay (18 years), Villandry (17 years), and Senlac (14 years) were all purpose-built too.

15 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

To be fair the ships they'll be beating, Valencay (18 years), Villandry (17 years), and Senlac (14 years) were all purpose-built too.

I hadn't thought of them, I only remembered the Stena Londoner/ Varseilles and Parisien/ Chartres plus the Stena Cambria. Plus I seem to remember a P&O Stena brochure suggesting that the POSL Picardy (Pride of Bruges) was going to run on the Dieppe route although I'm not sure if that ever actually happened. 

Back on topic, even if Barleur did fit the harbours at Newhaven or Dieppe I would have thought she would offer too much capacity for the route or be too expensive to run. The current service is only 2-ships for half the year then they spend the rest of the time paid-up.

Personally I'd like BF to find a use for her such as supplementing the NEX and offering a year round Portsmouth-Cherbourg route or making Le Havre a 2-Ship service as I wouldn't like to see any of the current fleet leave (Visentini's excluded). However if there isn't a market for it then I guess she's For Sale to the highest bidder. Let's hope the price of Scrap Metal doesn't increase too much to tempt them into sending her to the beach. 

3 hours ago, chid679 said:

Plus I seem to remember a P&O Stena brochure suggesting that the POSL Picardy (Pride of Bruges) was going to run on the Dieppe route although I'm not sure if that ever actually happened. 

No it didn't. But since it was before the time that fuel prices rocketed, they could have got her across in 3 hrs 30 mins - or perhaps less at 3 hrs 15 mins - based on how much faster the Spirit-class could do Dover-Calais. That could have made the route more attractive, if they built double deck linkspans at both ports they might have even got in three crossings each way if they ran it like a Dover operation. The new Dieppe linkspan was actually designed with the HSS 900 in mind which is why it is so wide.

I remember once reading, I think it was in Ferry Pub's British/European Ferry Scene or it could have been Ships Monthly, that P&O were looking at putting Pride of Bruges on Portsmouth-Cherbourg and even though she was a day ferry going on a route with overnights at the time (not that the stretched Super Vikings had many cabins) it could do the crossing so much more quickly than the SVs meaning it would have been under 4 hours also. I'm pretty sure this was a suggestion at the time prior to the advent of fastcraft in the Western Channel, excluding Hoverspeed Great Britain's disastrous first season. Whether it was true or not was a matter of conjecture, I'm sure Ferry Pub's "news" was 80% rumours and daydreaming based on what actually happened subsequently.

Edited by Seashore

I never thought the ships were built specifically for the route, I think there's four of them with two over in Spain, Seven Sisters used to sail from Portsmouth to Le Havre until 5 years ago.  Officially Transmanche don't exist, they became part of LD Lines and they didn't bother repainting them which is why DFDS got them when they teamed up with LD to control their channel services.

The subsidy of £15m paid to DFDS ends August of this year and so far there's been no mention of another so it's well worth keeping an eye on it.

@LHCity forget about Barfleur, Cherbourg and Poole are gearing up to carry over 100 freight units a day on top of what is carried now on BF's 2nd busiest route with the start of the rail link in April 2021. This volume will double in 2024 when a further rail link is added. Ports de Normandie  are building an inter modal delivery system close to the linkspans. The two ports will handle more freight than Ouistreham.

Cotentin can't do that on her own and it won't be going anywhere else in the U.K. as Portsmouth has the added Spanish expansion to cope with.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chid679 said:

Back on topic, even if Barleur did fit the harbours at Newhaven or Dieppe I would have thought she would offer too much capacity for the route or be too expensive to run. The current service is only 2-ships for half the year then they spend the rest of the time paid-up.

Personally I'd like BF to find a use for her such as supplementing the NEX and offering a year round Portsmouth-Cherbourg route or making Le Havre a 2-Ship service as I wouldn't like to see any of the current fleet leave (Visentini's excluded). However if there isn't a market for it then I guess she's For Sale to the highest bidder. Let's hope the price of Scrap Metal doesn't increase too much to tempt them into sending her to the beach. 

Kinda makes sense from BF's point of view...

...but in these times, nothing makes sense:/

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I never thought the ships were built specifically for the route, I think there's four of them with two over in Spain, Seven Sisters used to sail from Portsmouth to Le Havre until 5 years ago.  Officially Transmanche don't exist, they became part of LD Lines and they didn't bother repainting them which is why DFDS got them when they teamed up with LD to control their channel services.

The subsidy of £15m paid to DFDS ends August of this year and so far there's been no mention of another so it's well worth keeping an eye on it.

@LHCity forget about Barfleur, Cherbourg and Poole are gearing up to carry over 100 freight units a day on top of what is carried now on BF's 2nd busiest route with the start of the rail link in April 2021. This volume will double in 2024 when a further rail link is added. Ports de Normandie  are building an inter modal delivery system close to the linkspans. The two ports will handle more freight than Ouistreham.

Cotentin can't do that on her own and it won't be going anywhere else in the U.K. as Portsmouth has the added Spanish expansion to cope with.

Barf will probably just be configured to carry a lot more freight and less passengers.  Hopefully us footies will still be allowed!  Cotentin could possibly resume her Spanish runs. 

Edited by Khaines

The two current ships are modified versions of the Volcan de Timanfaya and Volcan de Tamasite with bow access added, stern doors modified, the swimming pool removed (but not the void underneath which is the twin-level bar) and the decor somewhat blandified. So they were specifically built for the route but were an existing design which happily was Newhaven-max. They are still owned by the Syndicat Mixte de Promotion de l’activité Transmanche (a division of the French council) who charter them to DFDS whilst the council also provides the subsidy to DFDS that makes the whole thing go round.

They still wear the Transmanche colours of their owners (very much an accidental livery simply because the first ship they chartered came with a yellow hull) presumably because that's a clause of the charter/subsidy arrangement, even when they have operated away from the subsidised Dieppe crossings.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 05/05/2020 at 16:36, jonno said:

So why was it said that Barfleur was going to leave Cherbourg / Poole?

The subsidy paid to DFDS ends in August 2020 or 2021 ? I'm ready to bet that Brittany Ferries will one day get hold of Newhaven.

4 minutes ago, LHCity said:

So why was it said that Barfleur was going to leave Cherbourg / Poole?

The subsidy paid to DFDS ends in August 2020 or 2021 ? I'm ready to bet that Brittany Ferries will one day get hold of Newhaven.

BF didn't say that. They said Cotentin would be replacing Barfleur and in terms of the timetable and passenger carrying she is. The didn't say that Barfleur was leaving.

The subsidy ends in August of this year... and yes I'm ready to back your bet. Seine - Maritime are experienced ship owners, they are now heavily involved with the other Normandy departments who are also shipowners as an active participant in SOMANOR. They have an operating contract at Le Havre with BAI and Dieppe is now controlled by Ports du Normandie who also control Cherbourg & Ouistreham.

It's a marriage made in heaven! 

• Andy changed the title to Cotentin to replace Barfleur in 2021?
  • 3 months later...

The Stena Baltica's final scheduled sailing on the Gdynia-Karlskrona route arrives in Gdynia on the morning of 30th October after which she is replaced permanently by the Stena Nordica which will have concluded her work covering Irish Sea refits.

It's reported the Baltica will then be handed back to Brittany Ferries.

• Thanks 1

Be interesting to see what the revised plans for her and Barfleur are for 2021 in light of covid.

Any conversion plans must be out of the window for her now. That said, I'd like to see it happen. If she was made into a full Armorique 2 would that make her more useful, and potentially cover for Caen boats?

9 hours ago, hhvferry said:

The Stena Baltica's final scheduled sailing on the Gdynia-Karlskrona route arrives in Gdynia on the morning of 30th October after which she is replaced permanently by the Stena Nordica which will have concluded her work covering Irish Sea refits.

It's reported the Baltica will then be handed back to Brittany Ferries.

How much cash do BF have to play with at the moment though in order to do ANY work to Cotentin to make her 'Poole passenger' ready!?

• Andy changed the title to Cotentin - Returning to Brittany Ferries in 2021