Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Cotentin to replace barfleur in 2021

https://actu.fr/normandie/cherbourg-en-cotentin_50129/trafic-transmanche-cotentin-revient-cherbourg-va-remplacer-barfleur_28564368.html

The article above seems to suggest (and have confirmed by Jean-Marc Roué) that Cotentin will be returning in 2021 to replace the Barfleur. It also suggests that adaptations will be made (if not already by Stena) to allow for carriage of passengers in addition to freight.

(touch paper has been lit... running away now)

Just now, Nick Hyde said:

Not good news then for a decent passenger service?

But tells you who is using the service.  They do accept there needs to be some passenger availability.

As Jim has now legged it (🤣) my assumption is she’ll be transformed into an Armorique 2, which always was a plan B with her design and would make sense.

Chris

Brigitte is probably still choking over her mid morning croissant 🥐 !

• Haha 1

Just now, Fine Whine said:

As Jim has now legged it (🤣) my assumption is she’ll be transformed into an Armorique 2, which always was a plan B with her design and would make sense.

Chris

An interesting assumption - not sure they'll go that far, but it would be a relatively quick way to obtain a new vessel having already paid for a chunk of it.

At the moment only licensed to carry 176 passengers as per Stena website so not all that good at all. Unless significant work is done a major downgrade for the route passenger wise.

And I’m sure most cabins have shared toilet and shower facilities not what the modern traveler wants , I wonder if Chris is correct to a point and they could adapt her a bit to add cabins but not the amount Armorique has.

Just now, neilcvx said:

It does say in the article she will be adapted to carry passengers.

How will they sort out the shared ensuite facilities in the cabins though? It's a long time since any UK ferries offered cabins with just wash basins or not even that.

2 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

How will they sort out the shared ensuite facilities in the cabins though? It's a long time since any UK ferries offered cabins with just wash basins or not even that.

It seems in Stena-land what they've done is made the shared ensuite into an ensuite for just one of the cabins, with the other making use of a shared bathroom outside of the cabin. Stena's website also says that as-is, the vessel is not suitable for wheelchair users.

31 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Cabins are pretty important I think particularly, if there are any overnight trips planned.

Depends on the schedule though - at the moment there are many days where the Barfleur doesn't actually sail overnight. 

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

Depends on the schedule though - at the moment there are many days where the Barfleur doesn't actually sail overnight. 

In August next year, all sailings are day time and in general the vast majority are.

One option may be to make overnight crossings freight only, if there is demand for it.

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

It seems in Stena-land what they've done is made the shared ensuite into an ensuite for just one of the cabins, with the other making use of a shared bathroom outside of the cabin. Stena's website also says that as-is, the vessel is not suitable for wheelchair users.

No on Stena Baltica they are still shared. It's a bit disconcerting to find/hear someone else using your loo. Although then again on the Primrose once we had a private cabin and still someone else managed to get in, make their mark, and exit whilst we were out on deck. 

Barfleur should be a good buy on the second hand market. One very careful owner, from a very good shipbuilder, not that old, relatively lightly used for a chunk of her life and, most importantly, quite a handy size for some operators. If Stena hadn't just ploughed loads into the Europe she might have been a nice buy for Fishguard.

She'd also do well for someone on the middle distance Moroccan routes or even an Aegean inter island operator. I'm sure, unless she has underlying mechanical issues, she has plenty of life yet.

• Like 2

Cotentin has more berths than Barfleur, always has had.

I'll back @Fine Whine on this one, extending the superstructure would increase the capacity to match Barfy's and still maintain, if not slightly increase, the freight space on the route.

Investing in her rather than an out and out new build makes sense to me and Barfleur, just as Normandie, still has a fair bit to give especially as she fits everywhere. Might we see the two of them at Le Havré?

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

I would have choked on my evening meal actually...😄. I actually found out yesterday, but was waiting for a thread to start here before commenting myself.  I found out via a screenshot sent to me on Facebook, but wasn’t sure of it’s authenticity as it was a screenshot of a French newspaper article, didn’t really want to start a thread on something that may well be just rumour.  As so happens,  I had no idea of the nam of the paper in question!

Soooooooo - my thoughts.  Well, seeing as I have in the past here said that Cotentin ought to return as I feel in the present climate regarding Brexit and freight, she should be recalled!  I said it myself and have speculated here myself so cannot say I am surprised.  Barfleur?  Not unexpected, but I am not throwing myself off a cliff as some probably think I might..😉.  Because of the situation as things are at the moment it isn’t something that surprises me.   From my point of view and others, it will be a shame to lose her obviously, but I think the days have long gone when a stink was kicked up about it all.  We have to move on, so be it.  Will have to adapt!

Fear not, I am perfectly ok with the situation...👍

• Like 2

What's ramps does she have between the vehicle decks? The ability to retrofit those if they don't exist would be an important factor for most potential buyers.

11 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

No on Stena Baltica they are still shared. It's a bit disconcerting to find/hear someone else using your loo. Although then again on the Primrose once we had a private cabin and still someone else managed to get in, make their mark, and exit whilst we were out on deck. 

Ah - fairplay - what about the ones they are advertising as having an external/shared bathroom though?

As for Primrose... possibly one of life's mysteries better left unsolved!

9 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

What's ramps does she have between the vehicle decks? The ability to retrofit those if they don't exist would be an important factor for most potential buyers.

Looking back at @Timmy's response in the thread below, the suggestion is she has an internal lift rather than ramps

• Like 1