Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Cotentin to replace barfleur in 2021

7 minutes ago, chris990 said:

Armorique's lack of Restaurant wouldn't go down well with regular travelers to St Malo especially on the overnight from Portsmouth

That could I imagine be relatively easily rectified though by splitting off part of the existing self-service area. Ed. 

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That could I imagine be relatively easily rectified though by splitting off part of the existing self-service area. Ed. 

A restaurant does not suite Armorique's primary EX-UK schedules, being overnight...

Would it suite Poole? Only a 4 hour crossing?

15 hours ago, Seashore said:

If entertaining speculation...

Cotentin: Poole-Cherbourg

Barfleur: Plymouth-Roscoff

Armorique: Portsmouth-St Malo

Bretagne: thank you for 32 years

(ducks for cover!)

That would be a great way to kill Plymouth. Can't see it happening. Armorique needs at least 3 times the cabins than Barfy has...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

A restaurant does not suite Armorique's primary EX-UK schedules, being overnight...

Would it suite Poole? Only a 4 hour crossing?

I  have often thought if there was a lunchtime departure from Roscoff and an earlier evening departure from Plymouth, a decent restaurant would be justified on the route

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

She's wholly unsuitable for St Malo, you'd need to build another 100 4 berth cabins and find space for a further 100 cars

Back to Barfy, she's certified for 450 passengers regardless of what the BF site says. Cotentin won't need too much work in order to bring her specs up to match as she already has more bed space and she'll still be capable of carrying around 100 freight units, 25 more than Barfy.

49 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

That would be a great way to kill Plymouth. Can't see it happening. Armorique needs at least 3 times the cabins than Barfy has...

Barf being sent to Plymouth...🤣

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I  have often thought if there was a lunchtime departure from Roscoff and an earlier evening departure from Plymouth, a decent restaurant would be justified on the route

Would that work in with crew hours, at the moment they work from 2 until roughly Midnight, 10 or 11 hr, if they leave Roscoff before lunch that would mean crew starting work at about 11, leading to a 13hr day.  This could lead possibly to needing two crew shifts each day.  It would be interesting to see the figures for the PA Thursday nights in the restaurant, I know the crossing is popular but would it work every night of the week.  I know the Sunday morning sailing the restaurant is used but not that busy.  For us the later sailing works well, we can visit the supermarket and Chris to stock up and then have lunch before boarding.

On 17/10/2019 at 12:34, hhvferry said:

No on Stena Baltica they are still shared. It's a bit disconcerting to find/hear someone else using your loo. Although then again on the Primrose once we had a private cabin and still someone else managed to get in, make their mark, and exit whilst we were out on deck. 

Barfleur should be a good buy on the second hand market. One very careful owner, from a very good shipbuilder, not that old, relatively lightly used for a chunk of her life and, most importantly, quite a handy size for some operators. If Stena hadn't just ploughed loads into the Europe she might have been a nice buy for Fishguard.

She'd also do well for someone on the middle distance Moroccan routes or even an Aegean inter island operator. I'm sure, unless she has underlying mechanical issues, she has plenty of life yet.

If Stena had not spent beyond stupid money on the Europa which has barely passed safety tests for hull integrity for a few years now. Would be wild to have Barfleur up in Fishguard but would she get onto the linkspan?

Rhys

I think it will be a light conversion for Poole-Cherbourg route (no need large passengers accomodation) and a light budget..... something from that

73058248_2987302394678365_215282160515416064_n.jpg.751484ee3dc08386743e4ea86745b998.jpg

To that :

72679173_2159558687681875_2248750674667896832_n.jpg.cc4452b7227ff4ac1e1865166dca353d.jpg

Edited by giloine
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, giloine said:

I think it will be a light conversion for Poole-Cherbourg route (no need large passengers accomodation) and a light budget..... something from that

73058248_2987302394678365_215282160515416064_n.jpg.751484ee3dc08386743e4ea86745b998.jpg

To that :

72679173_2159558687681875_2248750674667896832_n.jpg.cc4452b7227ff4ac1e1865166dca353d.jpg

Nicely done.

On 17/10/2019 at 20:38, Khaines said:

Are BF going to issue a press release about this?  I was told via Messenger via someone who works on Barfy, that BF have said that the French journalist who wrote the article has “jumped the gun” and have not decided what they are going to do with regards to Cotentin and Barfleur.  So quite confusing.  I wish BF would issue an official statement.

Quoting myself in respect to the previous post, this is roughly what I was told.  Quite frankly I can see Cotentin back in the fleet, but not replacing Barfy, but more likely to be providing extra freight capacity in the way she was designed to do as a freight ship.  Depending on what happens regarding the freight situation after Brexit, things may well be temporary with regards to extra freight capacity needed.  So a permanent solution to a temporary situation with regards to converting a dedicated freight ship to one that serves passengers as well is quite a drastic move.  Cotentin may well be temporarily recalled to fulfil the freight situation as it may well be for a year or so, then go back to Stena as a dedicated freighter.   Cannot see them messing about with her too much.

Edited by Khaines

11 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Quite frankly I can see Cotentin back in the fleet, but not replacing Barfy

I agree, I can't see 'Barfleur' going anywhere.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 22:08, jonno said:

Nicely done.

I disagree. They will want her to make money. Barfleur never had enough cabins. I reckon they need at least 150, so double Barfy. 2/3rds Armorique. So a little larger than that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

I disagree. They will want her to make money. Barfleur never had enough cabins. I reckon they need at least 150, so double Barfy. 2/3rds Armorique. So a little larger than that...

Do you think? Barfy's pax capacities have steadily fallen from 1200 to 900 and now 450.

The route carries 211,000 passengers per year as a day sailing vessel. In her current configuration Barfleur could manage 315,000 per year but can't carry more freight than her 75 trucks plus her 72 cabins are all 4 berth.

The illustration is nicely done, it's a good effort... better than what I could cobble together in the same time as @giloine produced his.

A build similar but as wide as to enclose her life boats, matching what she already has and flat at the stern rather than stepped would giver her a day sailing capacity of around 650-700, more than enough. She already has 116 cabins adding another 8 outward facing into the extension would giver her 224, these could be 4 berth deluxe. 100 two berth and 124 four berth would giver her an overnight capacity of 696 berths (less than 100 fewer than the Arm') and still retain her 120 truck capacity.

That would give a yearly potential of at 245,000 pax on a Poole-Cherbourg day sail and a single overnighter back again could yield 243,600 pa and 240 trucks overall per day...

The conversion also has to be cost effective and per foot rebuilds are more expensive than new builds, BF won't have her like another Armorique as a complete rebuild from deck 5 up would be silly money on a 12 year old ship plus her truck capacity would be reduced to something similar meaning it would be less than Barfy's. Freight wise Armorique is one of the least useful in the fleet.. which is fine for Roscoff as it only handles around 25 trucks a day, if that, Bretagne handles twice as much and she's the least freight orientated of them all.

Poole is only 67 nm from Cherbourg. At 22kts Cotentin can manage that in less than 4 hours meaning another day crossing can also be added increasing capacity even further.

I also have a feeling that once done Cotentin will cover Ouistreham for winter maintenance as she'll be the largest freight carrier which can fit and Armorique will cover Poole weather permitting!)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonno said:

She already has 116 cabins adding another 8 outward facing into the extension would giver her 224, these could be 4 berth deluxe. 100 two berth and 124 four berth would giver her an overnight capacity of 696 berths (less than 100 fewer than the Arm') and still retain her 120 truck capacity.

116 + 8 = 124 cabins, if all are 2-berth except the 8 then that’s 264 berths.

Where would the extra 100 cabins and 432 berths go? That would give her about as many berths as Normandie or MSM.

Sorry if I’m missing something in the calculation.

• Like 1

Everyone is saying how many trucks she can carry plus adding extra passenger space but if most of them have cars that is taking space away from the Freight.

36 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

No, I don't believe she has.

Thanks, Tony.  She would have to have those as well then, should she indeed replace Barfy.  More expense.

Edited by Khaines

3 minutes ago, Seashore said:

116 + 8 = 124 cabins, if all are 2-berth except the 8 then that’s 264 berths.

Where would the extra 100 cabins and 432 berths go? That would give her about as many berths as Normandie or MSM.

Sorry if I’m missing something in the calculation.

God i'm thick aren't I...????????? I did 224 instead of 124, right dunce hat on and I'm standing in the corner!

• Haha 1

Just now, Khaines said:

Thanks, Tony.  She would have to have those as well then, should she indeed replace Barfy.  More expense.

I know Stena wanted the scrubbers fitted but I can't see any story or proof which quotes they were fitted when she went to Gdansk in 2013.

• Like 1