Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Cotentin to replace barfleur in 2021

40 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

No, I don't believe she has.

I thought Stena fitted them around the same time they did Vision & Spirit?

On 17/10/2019 at 21:53, Khaines said:

Converting Cotentin would cost a lot of money.  Surely if she came back she should be on a dedicated freight role she was intended for.  Converting her for pax would then have to dedicate precious freight space for cars and whatever. Unless the plan on just letting footies use her.  I would say, as hf said, the Spain route from Poole.  If she bled cash on French sailings, then why put her back on them - I presume she will be doing Cherbourg?   Some things aren’t making sense here.  

Regarding using up freight space with cars, something I pointed out a couple of pages ago.  I felt it a bit pointless.  If she was to serve Poole, then she would be an EXTRA freight capacity to Barf and she would probably do Spain.  What about Pelican, what about her, will she leave?

2 hours ago, jonno said:

I thought Stena fitted them around the same time they did Vision & Spirit?

If there are any recent pictures of her, does her funnel look any different - should provide a clue..😉

17 minutes ago, Khaines said:

If there are any recent pictures of her, does her funnel look any different - should provide a clue..😉

27th of August 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I've been through my copies of Remontowa News magazine which showcases the work they do on the ships and can find nothing to indicate Stena Baltica has had scrubbers fitted, certainly not when she spent 50 days there when Stena first got their hands on her. There certainly doesn't look as if any work has been done on her stack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

If you add cabins and associated facilities then the weight will need to be deducted from the vehicle capacity.

From memory, Cotentin is 2000 dwt  heavier than Armorique plus I know than many say they are identical up to deck 5 but there are significant differences in moulded depth, heel tanks etc.

I searching for my copy of Significant ships of 2007 which has her indepth tech specs then hopefully all shall be revealed...

I've just spoken to the journalist from Le Presse de la Manche who interviewed Jean-Marc Roué in the first place, he called in to ask me about the "B" word....aaagghhh!

He is adamant that M Roué confirmed Stena Baltica will be returned to BF (who still own her through Sonamor) once the charter ends at the end of 2021 and WILL replace Barfleur. The rough translation of the appropriate text is - Once the charter has ended Cotentin will need to go to drydock to be modified to take passengers as she was designed purely for freight -

It seems pretty clear to me but still over 2 years away...

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How old will Barfluer be by then? 
If she doesn’t do Poole where else that BF sail to would suit her? Or would they sell her and use the cash for her replacements refit?

58 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

He is adamant that M Roué confirmed Stena Baltica will be returned to BF (who still own her through Sonamor) once the charter ends at the end of 2021 and WILL replace Barfleur.

... But no mention whether 'Barfleur' will leave the fleet or move to another route. She'll be 29 years old by then and will only have the new livery for 18 months or so. Probably move her onto another route, like someone else on here said, Le Havre possibly.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

7 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

... But no mention whether 'Barfleur' will leave the fleet or move to another route. She'll be 29 years old by then and will only have the new livery for 18 months or so. Probably move her onto another route, like someone else on here said, Le Havre possibly.

If she stays with BF  then am pretty sure her regulars will visit her wherever she goes.  Memories of trips to Dover!  

No mention at all about her future but as posted earlier she would make a useful purchase for another operator if BF no longer have any use for her.

In all fairness Brigitte I honestly thought she had gone to Stena for good and had a little snigger to myself whenever you mentioned her coming back - how wrong I was ....B|

Chris

• Like 2

I reckon if they got a semi decent offer for her she would be off rather than have a cruise ferry and an ex Truckline ferry on the same route ,  it doesn’t take long to paint Batman on the side of a ferry 😉

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

No mention at all about her future but as posted earlier she would make a useful purchase for another operator if BF no longer have any use for her.

In all fairness Brigitte I honestly thought she had gone to Stena for good and had a little snigger to myself whenever you mentioned her coming back - how wrong I was ....B|

Chris

Do you mean DFDS & Barfy or Stena with Cotentin? 

Both, I predicted would return...😉🙂

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Do you mean DFDS & Barfy or Stena with Cotentin? 

Both, I predicted would return...😉🙂

DFDS was always a return ticket as they had new tonnage on the radar, but with Stena you would appear to have a crystal ball...😉

• Like 1

However as with all crystal balls, it needs to become crystal clear first...🤪

And just to prove I know nothing, I thought that Cotentin was ( in hindsight) one of the most stupid decisions BF ever made - large portion of humble pie could be on the menu if she returns like a knight in shining armour...!

Chris

9 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Now all we need is Nova star to join the fleet 😉😂

Polferries must have had a crystal ball as they have bought her outright halfway through her charter.  Must have known BF was thinking of shifting Barfy then...😂.  Now if LD had put her in Poole in direct competition instead of rejecting her...😉

And my crystal ball was about when Libby was still lounging around in the shipyard in Australia...

Nova Star - let her get on with it in Poland for a while...😉

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

However as with all crystal balls, it needs to become crystal clear first...🤪

I have good glasses...😉

10 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

one of the most stupid decisions BF ever made

The results of a poll on that one would make interesting reading! 😉

(Wonder where the scrubber installation programme, the new website, the sale of VDL and the omission of the restaurant on Armorique would come! 🤣)

Acquisition of Condor may turn out to trump them all....but as you say, most of the big decisions can only be evaluated in hindsight.

15 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The results of a poll on that one would make interesting reading! 😉

(Wonder where the scrubber installation programme, the new website, the sale of VDL and the omission of the restaurant on Armorique would come! 🤣)

Acquisition of Condor may turn out to trump them all....but as you say, most of the big decisions can only be evaluated in hindsight.

I did specifically say -one of the most stupid decisions Gareth-.....;)

And if I had the time I could quite vigorously defend most of the other 4 you quote but you're correct, a first class degree in hindsight is one of those things I reget never having obtained

Chris

• Like 1