Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Cotentin to replace barfleur in 2021

1 minute ago, jonno said:

I've wondered whether it'll be sooner with the Avic ships arriving at least one of the Mersey Visentini's could replace her after lengthening?

We'll see.  A lot will depend on what Stena want to do fleet wise over the next few years.  "Baltica" could be quite useful elsewhere, perhaps even slotting into a Nordica-like relief ship role?  It wouldn't be the first time Stena sold a ship prior to replacement tonnage arriving and had to use something as a stop-gap!  Both lengthened Visentini's should be available for 2021 in any case.  

Some still think the lengthened E-Flexer's will end up at Dublin (which is being redeveloped) but my money is still on Gdynia with the lengthened Visentini's filling in until their arrival.    Following that, Urd and Stena Gothica aren't getting any younger and the Ventspils route (currently using two Visentini's) could do with larger tonnage too I believe.  That would free up Stena Flavia and allow Scottish Viking to be handed back to whichever Visentini associated company owns her (can't recall of the top of my head), or alternatively, the replacement of Urd and Gothica.  All speculation of course and assuming that Stena RoRo don't get an offer from elsewhere that is too good to turn down!

• Like 1

Anyone got that book on Armorique - any info in there about her origins.  I have it deep in a cupboard somewhere, will dig it out.

I'm 100% certain she was always going to be a passenger ship developed under the project name of 'Bretagne 2' (think they used the same code for the Pont-Aven as well) and was from the start was based on Cotentin, IIRC they said identical to Deck 5. I even have the original profile view from the order announcement somewhere where she looked a lot uglier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

We'll see.  A lot will depend on what Stena want to do fleet wise over the next few years.  "Baltica" could be quite useful elsewhere, perhaps even slotting into a Nordica-like relief ship role?  It wouldn't be the first time Stena sold a ship prior to replacement tonnage arriving and had to use something as a stop-gap!  Both lengthened Visentini's should be available for 2021 in any case.  

Some still think the lengthened E-Flexer's will end up at Dublin (which is being redeveloped) but my money is still on Gdynia with the lengthened Visentini's filling in until their arrival.    Following that, Urd and Stena Gothica aren't getting any younger and the Ventspils route (currently using two Visentini's) could do with larger tonnage too I believe.  That would free up Stena Flavia and allow Scottish Viking to be handed back to whichever Visentini associated company owns her (can't recall of the top of my head), or alternatively, the replacement of Urd and Gothica.  All speculation of course and assuming that Stena RoRo don't get an offer from elsewhere that is too good to turn down!

Regarding Scottish Viking, I believe Watling St want to sell her.

4 hours ago, Khaines said:

Anyone got that book on Armorique - any info in there about her origins.  I have it deep in a cupboard somewhere, will dig it out.

What do you wish to know Brigitte as I can even let you know who made the Engine driven alternators?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Khaines said:

The one by Bruce Peter? I have got it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

All in French though and delivery is £2.80

Mine is dual text, English AND French.  All the way through.  Cost £16 on Barfy.

8BA2A954-4501-4332-8341-2C79D184B8F4.jpeg

F1D28EB6-B46A-4608-819E-82A7777BBE84.jpeg

Edited by Khaines

7 hours ago, jonno said:

Regarding Scottish Viking, I believe Watling St want to sell her.

They already did a fair few years ago!  She's currently owned by Visemar AFAIK.  

Watling Street was a subsidiary of EPIC shipping who had severe financial difficulties resulting in the Ro-Pax's being sold off.  My memory is a bit blurry as this all happened the best part of 10 years ago,  but IIRC Visentini (Visemar) took EPIC to court over Scottish Viking as they defaulted on an agreement to purchase her outright.  It turned out the reason was because they were broke and eventually their ships were sold off.  Stena Flavia, Stena Lagan/Mersey, Etretat are all ex EPIC Shipping controlled vessels.  As they paid all the instalments for Scottish Viking she returned to Visentini.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tarbyonline said:

They already did a fair few years ago!  She's currently owned by Visemar AFAIK.  

Watling Street was a subsidiary of EPIC shipping who had severe financial difficulties resulting in the Ro-Pax's being sold off.  My memory is a bit blurry as this all happened the best part of 10 years ago,  but IIRC Visentini (Visemar) took EPIC to court over Scottish Viking as they defaulted on an agreement to purchase her outright.  It turned out the reason was because they were broke and eventually their ships were sold off.  Stena Flavia, Stena Lagan/Mersey, Etretat are all ex EPIC Shipping controlled vessels.  As they paid all the instalments for Scottish Viking she returned to Visentini.

Should say "hadn't paid all the instalments" of course