Sign in to follow this  
elaine80

Breakfast on Bretagne

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Tolls? We have rarely driven on toll roads except for short unavoidable stretches. I prefer to enjoy my driving in France and arrive relaxed having enjoyed the scenery en route. Many toll roads have the old N roads parallel and close to them and if you think you are falling behind schedule (which should always be civilised) you can alway nip across to a toll road temporarily for a bit of catch up. They are usually well signposted from the N roads.

We considered that driving to St Emilion but quickly got bored of the slowness and the same scenery but if we were stopping en route it might be an option.

Our trips always include an overnight stop somewhere along the line be it in the U.K or across the channel. Now that the M1 roadworks have more or less finished the drive is far easier plus we always seem to go the same way... A1/M18/M1/ A(M)42/M40/A34/M27...(and breathe out!). No we have a new lighter MH we're not speed restricted so we can do it in around 6 hours now with a stop along the way.

The Portsmouth-St Malo crossing is our first choice when heading south as far as Bordeaux, Bergerac or equivalent. The overnight crossing and a decent Les Abers breakfast sets us up for the coming day and with the two of us happy to drive we're both still in reasonable condition on arrival. We find most if not all of our driving on the major routes of Europe relaxing including when stuck half way over a Loire bridge on the Nantes peripherique. Anything further south than this and we head to Bilbao and drive back up or across to Languedoc etc. Spain proper or Portugal we head to Santander and then usually spend a couple of days getting where we want to be.

We fully exploit both Club Voyage memberships, always book a commodore when available day or night & always head to the restaurant for breakfast. 

We use Ouistreham, overnighting at PIP, & sometimes Le Havre when staying at a favourite Castels site in Normandy and always steer clear of any Dover/ Folkstone crossings. 

If we do stop over on the way home we tend to opt for C&MC site at Winchester.

We're very, very lucky. I no longer need to work and Mrs Jonno now earns more holiday than the queen so we can add the odd day or two to a week away if desired in order to slow the pace down a bit. Our home comes with us so there's never a problem if we need to overnight on the way or at a port and we always use the tolls in France, Spain & Portugal unless there's somewhere specific we want to visit.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, neilcvx said:

We considered that driving to St Emilion but quickly got bored of the slowness and the same scenery but if we were stopping en route it might be an option.

I completely agree, we now avoid D roads for the same reason, the varying low speed limits make it almost stop start. Much better on dual or motorways and pay the tolls..at least you feel you are getting somewhere

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jonno said:

always steer clear of any..... Folkstone crossings.

You’re safe there Jonno - the last one was about 28 years ago! 😀

Great summary of route strategy.  I must try Spain and then driving back into southern France one day.

On 04/11/2019 at 18:34, neilcvx said:

@cvabishop are the tolls not a lot more expensive on the Ouistreham route too?

We go to a campsite near St Gilles Croix de Vie and have only every paid tolls the year we went via Disneyland and experienced the Tunnel because we couldn't make a BF crossing work for us going out (my daughter described the Tunnel as being like a very poor simulation ride). I have contemplated crossing to Le Havre but the tolls and extra fuel more than cancel out the cheaper crossing and the longer sleep.

16 hours ago, Gareth said:

You’re safe there Jonno - the last one was about 28 years ago! 😀

Great summary of route strategy. 

I think you will find that there are normally 3 trains an hour from Folkestone

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

I think you will find that there are normally 3 trains an hour from Folkestone

And the relevance of that to “crossings” is..... 😉

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

A tunnel is a crossing. 🧜‍♂️

Given that “crossing” is what you do when you go “across”, I would dispute that as accurate terminology.  I would say doing through the tunnel is a “transit” rather than a “crossing”.  But happy to leave it at that and not make my light-hearted pull of Jonno’s leg a bigger deal than it was meant to be! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Given that “crossing” is what you do when you go “across”, I would dispute that as accurate terminology.  I would say doing through the tunnel is a “transit” rather than a “crossing”.  But happy to leave it at that and not make my light-hearted pull of Jonno’s leg a bigger deal than it was meant to be! 😉

Perhaps a tunnel transit could be referred to as a subduction. Ed. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps a tunnel transit could be referred to as a subduction. Ed. 

Now you're just giving the topic too much weight... or is that gravity?