Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Cherbourg to Carnac ?

Has anyone driven this route, first time to Cherbourg for us, thinking about stopping somewhere mid way, any suggestions for a food stop ? .... is the best route through (round) Rennes ? ...... just putting it out there .... cheers.

If use use the ViaMichelin website it will give you a map with two alternative routes - with distances and approximate timings for each. 

I often drive l Quiberon to/from Granville and separately do Granville to/from Cherbourg up the coast road. Can you give me timings (arrival in Cherbourg and desired arrival in Carnac) as well as the day and month as it will make a massive difference to the route you take and where and when to stop plus whether to go around Rennes clockwise or anti-clockwise. Ed. 

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I often drive l Quiberon to/from Granville and separately do Granville to/from Cherbourg up the coast road. Can you give me timings (arrival in Cherbourg and desired arrival in Carnac) as well as the day and month as it will make a massive difference to the route you take and where and when to stop plus whether to go around Rennes clockwise or anti-clockwise. Ed. 

Arrival Cherbourg around 11.30 am ... looking Carnac around 5.30pm (hopefully) ... arriving on a Tuesday morning in July.

Right, thanks. As it's not a Saturday the traffic will be OK as long as you get past Rennes before 4.30. You will need around 4 hours if you take the motorways but that means stopping for lunch at a service station or coming off to find a town.  I'd suggest an alternative combination of routes. Take the attractive coastal road on the western side of the peninsula down to Avranches, stopping at a restaurant at around 1pm (this is our favourite https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://couleurssaveurs.fr/&ved=2ahUKEwje-Y2B8tLlAhVOzIUKHcwXAk4Q_BcoCzAGegQIDhAt&usg=AOvVaw37NVbW5s_cn_oKyMSFq61N) and then take the motorway to Rennes, go anti-clockwise to the Vannes turnoff and then after Vannes head towards Auray, Quiberon and follow the signs to Carnac.  Ed. 

• Like 1

Couleurs/Saveurs is certainly nice and recommended for a special occasion - I have only been twice and one of those for a new year's eve occasion. However, I am not sure that I would recommend it as a lunch stop pretty close to the start of a long journey. But that's a personal choice. I would continue on into Avranches which has a good choice of more informal lunch stops. Or, better still, stop (perhaps in Brehal) and buy yourselves a nice, French style picnic. Be in control of your own time and schedule. Save your money for a nice, relaxing meal at your destination without having to worry about the Rennes Peripherique and other horrors that lie ahead.

Edited by rogerpatenall

If they are happy with a picnic then yes they can stop anywhere on the way down. Josselin wouldn't mean eating until about 3pm though which might be too late. I assume they are looking for a more sophisticated meal (don't forget they are travelling with IF and not BF and so are cash-rich) and therefore would like a restaurant. 

I'd avoid Brehal on Tuesdays as it's market day. Most of the stalls will have shut down by the time they get there and parking/traffic remains tricky until after lunch, hence my suggestion of the restaurant in Briqueville sur Mer. There are a couple of good alternatives in Regneville/Hauteville too. 

Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

If they are happy with a picnic then yes they can stop anywhere on the way down. Josselin wouldn't mean eating until about 3pm though which might be too late. I assume they are looking for a more sophisticated meal (don't forget they are travelling with IF and not BF and so are cash-rich) and therefore would like a restaurant. 

I'd avoid Brehal on Tuesdays as it's market day. Most of the stalls will have shut down by the time they get there and parking/traffic remains tricky until after lunch, hence my suggestion of the restaurant in Briqueville sur Mer. There are a couple of good alternatives in Regneville/Hauteville too. 

Ed. 

Are you referring to me as 'cash rich' ED ..... lol .... think again ... definitely not me. .... this talk of the Rennes Peripherique is a bit scary .... hopefully nothing like Paris !! ..... is it better to go beyond Rennes and then stop for eats ?

Edited by Geezer

I’ve driven around Rennes a few times it’s ok if you avoid peak time , I’ve not driven around Paris so can’t compare it to their but I’ve done Bordeaux ring road a few times and it wasn’t as bad/eventful as that.

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

I’ve driven around Rennes a few times it’s ok if you avoid peak time , I’ve not driven around Paris so can’t compare it to their but I’ve done Bordeaux ring road a few times and it wasn’t as bad/eventful as that.

It's about 140 miles from Cherbourg so I could easily be there or there abouts in about 3 hours, given the time it takes to dissembark from an 11.30 docking, could be about 15.30 and before rush hour O.o

Always found Nantes peripherique to be busier than Rennes. Although this year coming north Rennes was bad especially as all the Brits were in the lane marked St Malo..I went in the other lane marked Paris and went round the ring road without a hold up and straight onto the St Malo road. But as others have said avoid them all at peak times which can include lunch times

Edited by Paully

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Are you referring to me as 'cash rich' ED ..... lol .... think again ... definitely not me. .... this talk of the Rennes Peripherique is a bit scary .... hopefully nothing like Paris !! ..... is it better to go beyond Rennes and then stop for eats ?

Cash-rich because you saved 400€ by using IF compared to BF. 

Rennes is fine, far easier than Nantes, but it does snarl up on the western side. Arrive before rush hour and go anti-clockwise. Arrive during rush hour and go clockwise. That's always been my technique and I've never had any serious delays. 

As for eating, it just depends how hungry you are and if any kids with you demand food at a certain time. 

Ed. 

We have spent three holidays in Josselin and can recommend a stop in the town. There are several good restaurants in the main square and the parking is ok.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Cash-rich because you saved 400€ by using IF compared to BF. 

Rennes is fine, far easier than Nantes, but it does snarl up on the western side. Arrive before rush hour and go anti-clockwise. Arrive during rush hour and go clockwise. That's always been my technique and I've never had any serious delays. 

As for eating, it just depends how hungry you are and if any kids with you demand food at a certain time. 

Ed. 

I definitely agree that Rennes is much easier that Nantes. We have regularly come off the ferry at Ouistreham at 3pm on a Friday, heading for The Vendee and hit both at rush-hour; Rennes is slow but moving while Nantes is at a standstill. At Rennes the satnav always takes us the same way round the peripherique but at Nantes it varies which way it takes us and despite being the quicker option have been the worst bit of the 700 mile drive.

9 hours ago, elaine80 said:

I definitely agree that Rennes is much easier that Nantes. We have regularly come off the ferry at Ouistreham at 3pm on a Friday, heading for The Vendee and hit both at rush-hour; Rennes is slow but moving while Nantes is at a standstill. At Rennes the satnav always takes us the same way round the peripherique but at Nantes it varies which way it takes us and despite being the quicker option have been the worst bit of the 700 mile drive.

Lol ... 400euro is hardly cash rich but it's better than nothoing I suppose, thanks for all the advise, i'm looking at routes and planning the drive, hopefully it all goes smoothly :D

With 11:30 arrival you will be lucky to make it very far for lunch. The Auberge de Normandie in Carentan would be an easy early stop, then you have a clear run ahead.
There are lots of places to eat that I would not recommend around Rennes.... But there are some decent choices on the western perimeter.

12 minutes ago, colin said:

With 11:30 arrival you will be lucky to make it very far for lunch. The Auberge de Normandie in Carentan would be an easy early stop, then you have a clear run ahead.
There are lots of places to eat that I would not recommend around Rennes.... But there are some decent choices on the western perimeter.

That was my logic too. No decent restaurant will be taking bookings for any later than 1pm, or 1.30 at a pinch. Anything after that and they are looking at a sandwich, the Mcdonald/BK/Quick/KFC option or Flunch (an experience totally devoid of taste, sophistication, satisfaction or pleasure). Ed. 

42 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Flunch (an experience totally devoid of taste, sophistication, satisfaction or pleasure). Ed. 

So other than that you mean its a goer??🤣

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

So other than that you mean its a goer??🤣

Put it this way, it's the destination of choice for when you really want to dump your girlfriend but can't pluck up the courage to tell her directly. That way you can let nature take its course. Ed. 

• Haha 1

The French bakery chain Paul is our standby for sustenance at many French  autoroute service stations, but alas they don't appear to have established themselves on tne Cherbourg to Carnac route.

46 minutes ago, jonno said:

@Geezer I was wondering whether in the past you'd have chosen to sail with I.F. to Roscoff?

I did sail with IF to Roscoff on the Oscar Wilde from Rosslare once ... it was purely to see what it was like and to compare it to the Cork sailing .... I really liked the Oscar Wilde as many have said who have sailed on her, but it's usually a price thing with us as there are 5 in our party. Next year it's a Dublin departure with the choice of a sailing every other day, we are not limited to the weekly Saturday sailing from Cork, and Dublin is less than a 2 hour drive now from Belfast rather than the 4.5 hours to Cork.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, elaine80 said:

The 8.30 Poole -Cherbourg ferry arrives at Cherbourg at 13.45 French time which will probably mean you arrive at Nantes about 17.15-17-30.  Nightmare time!  The Peripherique at rush hour times is very slow..The only solution that I have found to the problem is ........travel on Sunday..

Edited by imprimerie

I feel like I may have misled some people ... I never said I wanted to stop at a restaurant  ... I just wanted somewhere to stop for a break and something to eat sort of half way along, could be services, Mc d's, or somewhere like that on the way that was easy to get to ..... Although ED rekons I'm loaded now with all the savings I made, I will use that money later on in my holiday :D