Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Cherbourg to Carnac ?

2 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I feel like I may have misled some people ... I never said I wanted to stop at a restaurant  ... I just wanted somewhere to stop for a break and something to eat sort of half way along, could be services, Mc d's, or somewhere like that on the way that was easy to get to ..... Although ED rekons I'm loaded now with all the savings I made, I will use that money later on in my holiday :D

Well I might actually be in Normandy on that Tuesday as you cruise through so was hoping you could buy me lunch too. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well I might actually be in Normandy on that Tuesday as you cruise through so was hoping you could buy me lunch too. 😉 Ed. 

I will keep an eye out Ed ..... always a spare place at my table.

• Thanks 1

If you can get as far as Avranches before stopping there is a Buffalo Grill right next to the motorway and they serve food until 3pm. Ed. 

16 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

If you can get as far as Avranches before stopping there is a Buffalo Grill right next to the motorway and they serve food until 3pm. Ed. 

I have been looking at Fougeres ? roughly about 30 miles this side of Rennes ..... and could still get round Rennes before rush hour.

Fougeres is very nice and has what I think is the largest medieval castle in Europe. I doubt you'll have time to visit it unfortunately but there are plenty of restaurants both in the centre and on the outskirts. Just be aware that it's about a 5km drive from the motorway exit to the town and there are two exits - one to enter from the north and the other to leave by heading south. Ed. 

On 06/11/2019 at 16:15, Cabin-boy said:

I’ve wondered about this chain for years, finally tried the one in Morlaix this year. Won’t be going back! Absolutely awful burger and chips!!

Avranches is a great place to stop though, very close to Mont St Michel aswell which is well worth a visit.  

• Like 1

Another, and quite different alternative.... Restaurant previously called la Passerelle (and still showing under this name on Trip Advisor), but now called l'Aer, in the airport terminal at Rennes / St Jacques de la Lande airport. Just a short hitch off and back to your route, with you already clear of Rennes traffic. OK, you will pay to park (not expensive), but literally just across the road, and the restaurant is on the upper floor looking out over the runway. Really well priced, quick, friendly and great food. Very relaxed. If you have time to spare, the back roads across the étangs d'Apigné are very picturesque.

Basically you just need to refuel en route as you have said with no significant detours. You can have a decent meal after your not very late arrival.

Personally I would stop off somewhere where there is a Supermarket/Hypermarket signposted. There is probably one on the outskirts of Cherbourg. You will find that they are likely to have a range of delicious filled baguettes (often in an attached bakery) so just buy some of those and some soft drinks then you can stop off anywhere en route for an impromptu picnic in the car or using the seating of an Aire on the road you are on. Very tasty and complete flexibility plus just a short break before you are on your way again.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The E Leclerc service stations are usually quite good for a quick snack , but probably not any up north right enough.

Here's the map of Leclerc stations and there's one on the dual carriageway south of Cherbourg. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cartecarburant.leclerc/stations-service/&ved=2ahUKEwjFoK_p5NjlAhUKBGMBHVlYCngQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2TGpGJIVCgBhvlbsT2UHUm

Ed

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not so. Maps produced by Marketing Men should not be trusted. There are two large Eddie Leclerc stores in Cherbourg - but not on your route, and smaller ones at Valognes and Carentan, but they are not 'on the dual carriageway'. You need to divert through the town in each case. There is an Auchan on the main road out of Cherbourg (opposite Fine Whine's emporium). 

I was referring to stand alone Leclerc service stations on motorway aires similar to the service stations on uk motorways and not to actual Leclerc stores.

The one in Valognes is certainly a pain to get to but the one on the eastern side of Carenten is less than a mile from the end of the slip-road and you can rejoin at the same roundabout heading to Saint Lo. It's fairly big but I don't believe it sells fuel. Ed. 

Geezer, if you want McD there is one at the junction of the N175 and D973 at Avranches. Plenty of parking and easy on and off the N175. It takes about 90 minutes from Cherbourg via the N13 to Carentan then N174 and A84 / N175.

9 hours ago, enyajtrebor said:

Geezer, if you want McD there is one at the junction of the N175 and D973 at Avranches. Plenty of parking and easy on and off the N175. It takes about 90 minutes from Cherbourg via the N13 to Carentan then N174 and A84 / N175.

I have just looked on the map for that on Google (just typed in McDonald’s Carentan) and got the map, so did a screenshot. Not far from the Isigny laiterie either which has a shop..😉

307493B2-AD80-44C1-93D5-0B1C81863BAF.png