Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Vinci Toll Badges

Does anyone know if the Vinci motorway toll badges (affixed to the top of the car windscreen) which allow faster passage (and automatic billing) through the French barriers also work in Spain and Portugal? Ed. 

If it's one issued in the UK, then it won't, but the same people will supply a second one for Spain and Portugal. I've got both, they work well and I have to say the Spanish one opens the barriers much quicker. I find with the French one you have to get your bonnet under the barrier before it opens (unless you use the 30kph lane!)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TerryDorset said:

If it's one issued in the UK, then it won't, but the same people will supply a second one for Spain and Portugal. I've got both, they work well and I have to say the Spanish one opens the barriers much quicker. I find with the French one you have to get your bonnet under the barrier before it opens (unless you use the 30kph lane!)

It's a French-issued badge. I spoke to someone yesterday who said theirs worked fine last summer so I assume it will be ok. Cheers. Ed

32 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's a French-issued badge. I spoke to someone yesterday who said theirs worked fine last summer so I assume it will be ok. Cheers. Ed

It should work all the way to Barcelona Ed. They're also planning to extend it all over Spain and Portugal so there'll be no stopping you!

Thanks Jonno. It's actually my father who is planning to use it from Santander to the Algarve and back in January. I found some info this morning on the Vinci site in France which suggests it will work on both motorway networks so fingers crossed!  Ed. 

Every year we make the journey from our home in Ayamonte (on the Spanish/Algarve border) in July to Santander. We make the trip via Sevilla over two days with a stop over in Salamanca 5hrs first day 4hrs second day. We reverse the rout in September. There are no tolls on the route Ayamonte, Sevilla, Caceres, Salamanca, Valladolid, Palencia  and Santander.

We cross the border into Portugal most days for lunch, the east west A22motorway is a toll road but there are no tolls for the first two junctions. When we go to collect visitors at Faro it is necessary to get a toll ticket at the toll station just over the international bridge. This is very easy to do following the instructions on the ATM style box in the toll plaza. The ticket lasts one month and your credit card is debited for each segment of motorway after the second junction. It cost us about €9 for each trip to Faro 50km. This system operates all the way to the Atlantic west coast.

The north/south Portuguese motorways are much more complicated as we found this September on our return via that route and a via Verde transponder is most useful and I understand works for all types of motorway.

I think having a toll badge is quite useful and most work in France and Spain. I have one that I originally got from SAPN (the Paris and Normandie autoroutes) which merged with Sanef and they call it Bip and Go. I get a discount on the Pont de Normandie with that badge which is quite useful - it is more that the adhoc monthly charge !