Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Strange ship in the Bay of St Malo

I was looking at MT this morning to see if PA was making good progress to St Malo and spotted a blue dot in the bay. A vessel called Jireh (but also referred to on MT as Strandebarm) is moored just east of Jersey. She appears to be a Nigerian-registered small ferry whose home port is Bergen in Norway but is on her way to Dakar in Senegal. I assume she has been sold and simply took shelter from the recent storms. Unless of course someone at BF is planning to use her as part of their Condor takeover bid 😉. Ed.

On 06/11/2019 at 08:48, Cabin-boy said:

I was looking at MT this morning to see if PA was making good progress to St Malo and spotted a blue dot in the bay. A vessel called Jireh (but also referred to on MT as Strandebarm) is moored just east of Jersey. She appears to be a Nigerian-registered small ferry whose home port is Bergen in Norway but is on her way to Dakar in Senegal. I assume she has been sold and simply took shelter from the recent storms. Unless of course someone at BF is planning to use her as part of their Condor takeover bid 😉. Ed.

UPDATE: 23rd November: The vessel is now anchored off Weymouth.

From the Jersey Evening Post:

MV Jireh – a former Norwegian fjord ferry apparently en route to West Africa – anchored off Gorey on 9 November and initially told ports authorities that they had sufficient supplies and fuel.

Days later, the nine-strong crew of the Nigerian-registered ship asked to be allowed to dock in St Helier Harbour, but when they were told they needed to appoint agents to represent them, they left Jersey waters.

The boat has since been moored in the Little Russel – a stretch of water between Guernsey and Herm.

Jersey Harbourmaster Bill Sadler said: ‘They came down the east coast at the beginning of the month and asked to anchor. They later asked for a berth for a crew change but, as is standard practice when dealing with visiting ships, they were told they needed to appoint a ship’s agent to represent them. The following day they disappeared off to Guernsey.’

The ship was recently sold by a Norwegian firm after being put up for sale for a reported $460,000, and changed its name from MV Strandebarm. It is understood that the vessel is being taken to its new owners in Dakar, the capital of Senegal.

The Guernsey Co-op recently sent the crew food, and the island’s branch of the Red Cross dispatched men’s clothing.

According to shipping websites, the vessel was built in Norway in 1971 and can carry 195 passengers and 21 cars or three trucks. It can travel at up to 11.5 knots.

On 24/11/2019 at 13:15, Cabin-boy said:

A story to follow perhaps. Ed. 

Your wish has been granted Ed. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-50632439

Yet another sad story of seamen being treated badly by useless, greedy owners. Russian crews desperate for work are simply taken advantage of and sent off in unseaworthy rustbuckets, like this. A year ago another Russian bulker, the Kuzma Minin, ran aground off Falmouth and was subsequently detained. Charities supported the crew after the owners abandoned them and the Russian Embassy repatted the crew. Turned out the ship didnt even have enough fuel to get it to the next port of call and only potatoes for the crew to eat!!..

I`d put money on this one playing out exactly the same...sadly

I travelled on her in Norway in the 90's. Amazing. Those little cross-fjord ferrys are amazing. With the exception of her; many have not changed in design much since them 80s... even the LNG mini roro replacements these days.