Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Princess Anastasia Runs Aground

Thanks Tony.  For some reason I was of the understanding that this ship had gone to the Med, but clearly either I was wrong or she’s come back again!

Track looks like she might have suffered power failure or loss of engine.

18 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thanks Tony.  For some reason I was of the understanding that this ship had gone to the Med.

Not this one, I think the last time she touched the Med was when she was used for the Sochi Winter Olympics.

25 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thanks Tony.  For some reason I was of the understanding that this ship had gone to the Med, but clearly either I was wrong or she’s come back again!

Track looks like she might have suffered power failure or loss of engine.

It was Princess Maria the ex Queen of Scandinavia which Moby sent to the Med after they bought St Peter Line and dropped it to a one ship operation. She now plies her trade as Moby Dada.

You'll know this already Gareth but for those who don't, Princess Anastasia has in effect gone home having started life as Viking Olympia. She is the sister of Viking Mariella which still offers good service on the Baltic and spent 4 years carrying the accolade as the largest cruise ferry in the world.

You're right, she suffered a power failure and blackout.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Not this one, I think the last time she touched the Med was when she was used for the Sochi Winter Olympics.

I'm probably entirely missing something... But what was she doing in the med for Olympics in Russia?

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm probably entirely missing something... But what was she doing in the med for Olympics in Russia?

I guess she was chartered and went through the Med into the Black Sea and was used as temporary accommodation for volunteers or security personnel during the winter Olympics in Sochi. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Passing through the Med to get there!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Passing through the Med to get there!

Further to my last; 'Princess Anastasia' passed through the Med to get to Sochi which is via Istanbul & the Black Sea, as far as I'm aware, that is the only route possible. As @Cabin-boy said, she was chartered for the Olympics. She was used as a floating accommodation vessel, SPL's 'Princess Maria' was also chartered along with 'Norwegian Jade' of NCI and other cruise ships from Costa Cruises and TUI Cruises. There were 7 in total.

10 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I guess she was chartered and went through the Med into the Black Sea and was used as temporary accommodation for volunteers or security personnel during the winter Olympics in Sochi. Ed. 

Ah, I misread as gone to the med rather than through...

I can't bear to imagine what a frightening experience it must have been for those on-board, the grinding of the base of the vessel running against the sea bed and being stranded must not be a pleasant experience. It happened to me on a pedalo many years ago and that was bad enough.

13 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Literally came here to post this.

Sailing a huge vessel in the Stockholm archipelago is tough for any ship captain I am sure.

The area is very busy, there must be at least 15 cruise ferry sailings using two ferryports around that stretch of water every day, many of them larger than this one not to mention water taxi's, cruise ships and private pleasurecraft. Sailing through I doubt you're ever more than 10 minutes from land on either side. Her proximity to shore was akin to Pont Aven grounding passing Southsea Hoverport. It wasn't a particularly heavy grounding, she refloated very quickly and was soon back on her berth and is already back at sea in the Gulf of Finland.

11 minutes ago, jonno said:

The area is very busy, there must be at least 15 cruise ferry sailings using two ferryports around that stretch of water every day, many of them larger than this one not to mention water taxi's, cruise ships and private pleasurecraft. Sailing through I doubt you're ever more than 10 minutes from land on either side. Her proximity to shore was akin to Pont Aven grounding passing Southsea Hoverport. It wasn't a particularly heavy grounding, she refloated very quickly and was soon back on her berth and is already back at sea in the Gulf of Finland.

You’ve totally dismissed @Le Quiberon pedalo grounding that’s very remiss of you 😉

A poignant picture when you realise that this is the ship that sunk the yacht Ouzo and that the impact of that collision was probably in the vicinity of the very place the small boat is in this picture.

Thanks for posting Tony - a remarkable photo.

3 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

This photo appeared online earlier today.

Can you cite/credit the source please?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gareth said:

A poignant picture when you realise that this is the ship that sunk the yacht Ouzo and that the impact of that collision was probably in the vicinity of the very place the small boat is in this picture.

Thanks for posting Tony - a remarkable photo.

There's loads of small private jetties & piers along that stretch owned by the houses above. Luckily none of the boats are usually occupied. Brevik marina is around the bend and has a very robust stone breakwater. The Viking Line terminal is in another area which has an even narrower navigation... The MAIB report on the loss of the Ouzo highlighted many interesting anomalies.

15 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

There wasn't one, I was sent it in a message.

Thanks - that wasn't clear from your statement that it 'appeared online'.