kenw

More on Ouistreham port development

Some more info on the future for Ouistreham.

Those with a keen interest in the port will know that the area opposite the ferry berth is to be redeveloped as a maintenance site for a proposed wind farm off the coast at Courseulles.

https://actu.fr/normandie/ouistreham_14488/eoliennes-offshore-sur-cote-nacre-enfin-debut-travaux-ouistreham_29273546.html

To summarise:

Three hectares [7.4 acres] is being reclaimed from the sea, and work enlarging the strip northeast of the locks [opposite the BF berth] is already under way.

Hervé Morin, President of the Normandy Region says the rockfill will begin on 20 November next and should be completed in March. "Once the rock is placed and the work is advanced, we'll have to wait for it to settle a little, so we must give time time to do its work."

EDF's maintenance operation should get under way in 2021/2022 with installation of the wind turbines in 2023.

Other works will allowing the port to accommodate larger vessels (up to 27.4 m wide instead of 24 m currently), and there will be 30 to 40 lay-by waiting spaces for visiting boaters, new slipways fishing pontoons and mooring, particularly for fishing vessels. All of this, the port authority says, should improve the working conditions of the port community and the reception of boaters.

M Morin also mentioned extra works required at the BF berth to prepare for the arrival of Honfleur, which he described as one of the most environmentally friendly ships operating in the Channel. 

Separately, I'm also told there is to be some work on the locks, but don't have any further details. And I'm afraid I don't know [can't remember if I ever did] what exactly the additional works are relating to Honfleur. Can someone fill in the blanks, please?

Ouistreham works.png

• Like 2

Le projet et le calendrier de l’aménagement du port de Caen-Ouistreham.

Ken,

This is the artist's impression of how it will look once finished, I believe the actual locks will remain untouched but the additional piles form a funnel to allow wider vessels to enter safely.

As far as I'm aware the work necessary to allow Honfleur to tie up have been concluded, she was expected this summer after all. The turning area has been dredged already, all we now need is for Honfleur to finally turn up....O.o

Chris 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just as a matter of interest Penguin are releasing all new translations of the Simenon Maigret novels including the 1932 Le port des brumes (The MIsty Harbour) which is set in Ouistreham and makes entertaining reading for those like me who love the area. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

There appears to be working going on in St Malo Port too.

What they doing there?..certainly looks like it needs some money spending on it in places

Thanks for all the additional info – I should have consulted the port website at the start.

AIUI from my yachtie chums, the work at St Malo was described as "detailed investigations" required for "future installations intended to serve fishing, pleasure and passenger vessels including fuel supply and loading." I think that's a third-party trans[liter]ation of some kind of official notice - judging by the formatting the source was a copy and paste from an email.

The yacht folk had planned to have a few days based in St Malo but the noise of the work was intrusive. So they moved to Granville. [It was a training exercise, no guests on board, so they were free to go as they pleased.]

The platform at St Malo was indeed doing deeper samples of where dredging is planned to deepen and widen the usable area on the north side of the berth and in the approach. The region are funding the work, though there is still uncertainty about timing and several aspects including the future of the piscine du Naye. The port concession has been lost by the CCI and a new private operator Edeis will take over at the end of next month, so coordination between them, the region and the town is a live subject.

Thanks, Colin

I'd heard that the Chambre had lost the port concession, so we will have to wait and see what changes if any are brought in by Edeis, about whom, so far I'm afraid I'm a total knownowt. Other than a passing comment from someone in the tourist trade saying they were "expecting improvements" in facilities next year. I will do a bit of digging.

Edeis run several airports and used to run the marina in Rouen, but Sodeports now have that concession and I don't know why Edeis lost it.

Edeis is an interesting business, or should I say collection of businesses.

AIUI they began life as an infrastructure business, and from there to design and build, and thence design-build-operate. 

That gave them the knowledge base to move into what call operate-maintain-develop and improve.

(A bit like Caen's tram and bus operation – although in this case the starting point was the existing Keolis operation, complete with strange Twisto branding.)

Hard info from the Mallouines is still a bit thin on the ground, but I suspect that the Edeis contract will follow this three-part model:

1. Run the existing port operations
  2. Beef-up the maintenance 
  3. Develop and manage enhancements [although possibly in a role more akin to client than "main contractor" – if only for the sake of transparency]

HTH

Ken

1 hour ago, kenw said:

(A bit like Caen's tram and bus operation – although in this case the starting point was the existing Keolis operation, complete with strange Twisto branding.)

Keolis have form when it comes to picking daft names for their bus and tram networks. When Angers got its first tram line back in 2011 they changed the operating name to "IRIGO". Any guesses as to what it means?  Ed. 

Would you allow Keolis daft names in Scrabble? Mrs W vetoed Twisto a long time ago, but I might try Irrigo if feeling brave.