TonyMWeaver

HMS Prince of Wales

According to savetheroyalnavy.org, the sea trails of 'HMS Prince of Wales' have progressed well and her arrival in Portsmouth has been brought forward.

The Aircraft Carrier is expected in Portsmouth at the end of this week or the weekend, rumoured to be Friday Lunchtime. As always, these movements are to be confirmed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Does that mean if, God forbid, we ever find ourselves at war again we choose the summer months when the weather is quieter....?

No, they did the same thing with the QE. First time in with such a huge brand new ship they want conditions to be as favouarble as possible. Could be expensive if they demolished the Spinnaker Tower by accident.

Album L IMG_0238.JPG

• Haha 2

So for this war to happen it needs to be fine weather and, assuming the French armed forces are on our side, anytime between Monday and Friday lunchtime. This is all very civilised! 😉

Ed

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

assuming the French armed forces are on our side, anytime between Monday and Friday lunchtime. This is all very civilised! 😉

Ed

Working on that assumption consideration must be allowed for a 2 hour interruption for lunch...to complete the civilisation of course

• Haha 1

With the new aircraft carrier at Portsmouth is there any space left for dead, decaying submarines?  We have 13 of them dumped here at Devonport - 9 of them with nuclear fuel still on board that no one seems brave enough to tackle - but we are quite happy for Portsmouth to have a few.  

IMG_0855.PNG

52 minutes ago, wortley said:

With the new aircraft carrier at Portsmouth is there any space left for dead, decaying submarines?  We have 13 of them dumped here at Devonport - 9 of them with nuclear fuel still on board that no one seems brave enough to tackle - but we are quite happy for Portsmouth to have a few.  

IMG_0855.PNG

Count your self lucky we’ve got Faslane in Scotland.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Count your self lucky we’ve got Faslane in Scotland.

Not for long if the SNP get their way.....

• Like 1

Yes, but still looks like Saturday at the moment. QHM movements don't mention her for Friday and I'm told there is a temporary no fly notice for Drones late am/mid pm Saturday.

Latest at the moment is that the Aircraft Carrier 'Prince of Wales' will be arriving on Saturday, docking around 14:30.

Outer Spit Buoy: 13:40, Harbour Entrance: 14:00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presumably Portsmouth Harbour would struggle to accommodate both Prince of Wales and Queen Elizabeth at the same time?  They'd make quite a sight together, but am I right in understanding that there is only one berth in the harbour that can take them?

19 hours ago, wortley said:

IMG_0855.PNG

It takes a while, since 1980 the U.K hasn't fully disposed of a single sub that has been decommissioned, the current count is 20. Work won't continue 'til around 2023 when Devonport comes out of special measures after the all the refit work is completed. By then the count will be 23.

The Resolution Class are still lying somewhere. My dad and two uncles worked on the hulls of Renown and Revenge and was invited to the launch of both but missed the 2nd one as it was the week I was born.

5 minutes ago, jonno said:

My dad and two uncles worked on the hulls of Renown and Revenge and was invited to the launch of both but missed the 2nd one as it was the week I was born.

Do they launch bow or stern first? The submarine, of course, not you as a baby! 😉 Ed. 

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

Presumably Portsmouth Harbour would struggle to accommodate both Prince of Wales and Queen Elizabeth at the same time?  They'd make quite a sight together, but am I right in understanding that there is only one berth in the harbour that can take them?

Both can be in port at the same time, both carriers are expected to be alongside over Christmas.

Yes, a lot of money has been spent in upgrading the berthing to allow them to dock simultaneously. Should be quite a sight. I think that a small powerstation has been built on MoD land to supply them with shore power. So there should be no brown out for the Portsmouth populace Xmas turkeys.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Do they launch bow or stern first? The submarine, of course, not you as a baby! 😉 Ed. 

Couldn't tell you Ed, I assume bow first due to the techy gizmo's they trail behind them at sea. 

Me, I was head first and, although not confirmed, hit the floor... which would answer many questions. I have been reliably informed that no delivery room floors in Ormskirk Royal Infirmary were damaged in the process of my escape. I was early which again answers another question. I was demanding attention even then and continued to be a stroppy bugger until I realised that I have matured seamlessly into an increasingly cantankerous older git!

Mmm... no, not matured just aged... Wisdom doesn't mean maturity does it? I'm still the 16 year old Lairds welding apprentice at heart but now have another 35 years experience!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

I'm still the 16 year old Lairds welding apprentice at heart but now have another 35 years experience!

If you'd stayed on you would most likely be running the place by now. As for the subs I wondered whether they lower them into the water on a cradle. I'm sure Wikipedia or YouTube will be able to tell me. Thanks. Ed. 

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

If you'd stayed on you would most likely be running the place by now.

Thanks but I have a feeling I would have been handed my marching orders along with most everyone else. I'd rather be early retired than redundant and besides aerospace has been fun, warmer & cleaner. Focusing on propulsion I've had a hand in designing a few notorious beasts, starting on the back end of the Trent 800 then MT30, EJ200 & Trent 1000. Rest assured though, you won't find "jonno woz 'ere" scribed into any of them

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, jonno said:

Thanks but I have a feeling I would have been handed my marching orders along with most everyone else. I'd rather be early retired than redundant and besides aerospace has been fun, warmer & cleaner. Focusing on propulsion I've had a hand in designing a few notorious beasts, starting on the back end of the Trent 800 then MT30, EJ200 & Trent 1000. Rest assured though, you won't find "jonno woz 'ere" scribed into any of them

The ej200 is powering the new landspeed record car before the rocket arrives and installed.

bloodhound hit 600 mph earlier 😀

• Like 1

POW in and berthed. 10 minute delay for St Clare. I have been watching the 3 episode tv series 're QE. Very interesting.

• Like 1