Jim

Condor sold to consortium including BF

16 minutes ago, Paully said:

Rather more than any name change, what is urgently required is for Condor to provide regular and more reliable services at an affordable price. 

Also a service with convenient arrival and departure UK times for passengers. Ro pax overnight in BOTH directions to and from Portsmouth would sort that. Plus in terms of pricing Condor Ferries need to return to their old policy (up to early noughties) of selling passenger berths in shared cabins. Its ridiciilious having to fork out money for 4 berths as a single traveller to get access to a bed for a decent nights sleep. They used to do this so why not again?

Edited by Nick Hyde

28 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Also a service with convenient arrival and departure UK times for passengers. Ro pax overnight in BOTH directions to and from Portsmouth would sort that. Plus in terms of pricing Condor Ferries need to return to their old policy (up to early noughties) of selling passenger berths in shared cabins. Its ridiciilious having to fork out money for 4 berths as a single traveller to get access to a bed for a decent nights sleep. They used to do this so why not again?

Playing the Devil`s Advocate here Nick, but is it not possible that freight is cash generator they really want, seeing pax as a necessary evil who have to fit around what they will provide, as opposed to the other way round. Putting freight on the cheapest flagged out vessels with agency crews is what happens these days...and hoping the pax use the airlines instead..Another thought, with BF on board, a cost benefit analysis might have shown that the Nex could be operated cheaper than their own hull. After all, the new owners are cut from the same cloth as McQuarrie was. They are in it for profit..

Edited by Paully

A lot of people would not want to share sleeping accommodation with strangers. I can't imagine getting a decent nights sleep in such circumstances plus of course everyone has to share the same facilities.

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

A lot of people would not want to share sleeping accommodation with strangers. I can't imagine getting a decent nights sleep in such circumstances plus of course everyone has to share the same facilities.

But some don't mind at all. Even if only 5 cabins out of the 40 onboard the Clipper were allocated for sharing that would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paully said:

Playing the Devil`s Advocate here Nick, but is it not possible that freight is cash generator they really want, seeing pax as a necessary evil who have to fit around what they will provide, as opposed to the other way round. Putting freight on the cheapest flagged out vessels with agency crews is what happens these days...and hoping the pax use the airlines instead..Another thought, with BF on board, a cost benefit analysis might have shown that the Nex could be operated cheaper than their own hull. After all, the new owners are cut from the same cloth as McQuarrie was. They are in it for profit..

Freight is the money spinner now and passengers do play second fiddle but a replacement of the freight only Goodwill by a ro pax has been raised by Paul Luxon as a possibility more than once in the past.

13 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Freight is the money spinner now and passengers do play second fiddle but a replacement of the freight only Goodwill by a ro pax has been raised by Paul Luxon as a possibility more than once in the past.

I quite agree with you, it is what is required but only time will tell what the new owners are prepared to provide. Sadly as always.

Shared accommodation?  Here's how the overnight ferry from Chumphon to Ko Tao used to be - but that ship has probably been  replaced with catamarans and jetfoils now. Might they buy Liberation? 

IMG_0864.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wortley said:

Shared accommodation?  Here's how the overnight ferry from Chumphon to Ko Tao used to be - but that ship has probably been  replaced with catamarans and jetfoils now. Might they buy Liberation? 

IMG_0864.JPG

Also on Isle of Man Steam Packet they used to advertise that their side loader car ferries had "snooze quarters". Basically lounges below the car deck that had padded benches to sleep on. When their "Mona's Queen" side loader car ferry was purchased by a Philipines company and renamed "Mary the Queen" they took this concept one step further and installed a full on dormitory on what used to be the main lounge on the upper decks!!

Onboard Mona's the Queen. The old main lounge from Mona's Queen days removed of aircraft type seats and casual seats and tables for this.

Screenshot_20191123-112704_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Nick Hyde

35 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

And even more basic accommodation on the Mary...on the upper spiral ramps of the car deck!!

Screenshot_20191123-111742_Chrome.jpg

That gives a whole new meaning to ` Pile it high and sell it cheap` 🤣

• Haha 1

Serious question has anyone actually done the Poole to St Malo, via Jersey/Guernsey route with a car?..If so what did you think?..This thread got me started looking at Condor crossings. In theory depart and arrive at good times and price wise, even with an overnight in St Malo in June, works out cheaper than the Bretagne overnight (thats with 20% off BF fare as well)..

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It used to be sold as a through passage in the days of Vitesse.

Still is Gareth, transship in Guernsey from the Liberation to the Vitesse 

Ah ok.  With Vitesse the whole passage ran straight through without having to change vessel.  She used to do it after her daily morning rotation to Cherbourg in partnership with BF.  Departure from Poole was about noon or 12:30 I think, with arrival in St Malo about teatime.  Used to call at either St Helier or St PP (it varied), but not both, on the way.  With that, the passage between Poole and St Malo took about 6 hours I think.

I’d take 9 on Bretagne over 6 hours on a fast cat.  But I struggle to think of another route between the UK and France that is more scenic at both ends than Poole-St Malo.  Shame it flopped when Duchesse Anne tried to operate a proper ferry service on it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The one out in the Canary Islands, given that she has to deal with Atlantic swells and Gulf Stream currents, seems to get generally positive reviews despite not being cheap in comparison to inter-island flights. Khaines, you and I would probably be the only passengers onboard if BF did get one! Ed. 

I am wondering if all the jip Libby gets, Austal have made any changes to these trimarans - Fred Olsen are quite happy with theirs, only problem with her is remembering to spell her name without Googling and writing it down.  Libby was meant to be a concept vessel but FO’s vessel was launched back in 2004, long before Libby was built which she was launched in 2010.  And Libby was the concept vessel.  I wonder how come FO had theirs built and she seems to be popular but Libby turned out to be a different kettle of fish altogether.  Funny how she was publicised as a new type of ferry when Fred Olsen had already been going with theirs for years. 

9 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I am wondering if all the jip Libby gets, Austal have made any changes to these trimarans - Fred Olsen are quite happy with theirs, only problem with her is remembering to spell her name without Googling and writing it down.  Libby was meant to be a concept vessel but FO’s vessel was launched back in 2004, long before Libby was built which she was launched in 2010.  And Libby was the concept vessel.  I wonder how come FO had theirs built and she seems to be popular but Libby turned out to be a different kettle of fish altogether.  Funny how she was publicised as a new type of ferry when Fred Olsen had already been going with theirs for years. 

Wasn't Libby meant to be an improvement on the Fred Olsen vessel? From what I recall the marketing literature from Austal certainly suggested this.

41 minutes ago, Paully said:

Still is Gareth, transship in Guernsey from the Liberation to the Vitesse 

It's actually Rapide now. Vitesse is somewhere in Greece I think. We did St Malo to Weymouth in April 2009 with about 5 hours in Jersey before continuing the trip with a call in Guernsey. It was a long day (8 am departure from France and perhaps 7 pm arrival in Weymouth) but our youngest was only 3 months old so we decided to give it a try. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's actually Rapide now. Vitesse is somewhere in Greece I think. We did St Malo to Weymouth in April 2009 with about 5 hours in Jersey before continuing the trip with a call in Guernsey. It was a long day (8 am departure from France and perhaps 7 pm arrival in Weymouth) but our youngest was only 3 months old so we decided to give it a try. Ed. 

Both Vitesse and Express are working for Seajets in Greece as Champion Jet 1 and Champion Jet 2

Edited by Khaines

8 hours ago, Paully said:

Serious question has anyone actually done the Poole to St Malo, via Jersey/Guernsey route with a car?..If so what did you think?..This thread got me started looking at Condor crossings. In theory depart and arrive at good times and price wise, even with an overnight in St Malo in June, works out cheaper than the Bretagne overnight (thats with 20% off BF fare as well)..

We have often chosen this route. We travel with 2 dogs and the break in the Channel Islands works well for us. Yes, it takes most of the day, but so does St. Malo to Portsmouth on a day crossing (which is not really an option for the dogs) - and the duty free on Condor is a bonus! We live in France and travel to the U.K. about 6 times a year, we always check prices and Condor is usually cheaper. The only down side is the weather in winter!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, La Pirouaie said:

We have often chosen this route. We travel with 2 dogs and the break in the Channel Islands works well for us. Yes, it takes most of the day, but so does St. Malo to Portsmouth on a day crossing (which is not really an option for the dogs) - and the duty free on Condor is a bonus! We live in France and travel to the U.K. about 6 times a year, we always check prices and Condor is usually cheaper. The only down side is the weather in winter!

Do you do your stopover in Jersey too?  I've rarely found a combination with a Guernsey stopover that gives more than 3 hours ashore so haven't bothered and have used St Malo-Portsmouth (as it's closer to home anyway). The one via Weymouth was perfect as we wanted to get to Somerset that evening but we've never repeated the experience. At least, not yet! Ed. 

When travelling St Malo to Poole the Rapide sometimes calls into Jersey on the way to Guernsey. Recently this has been a pain as every passenger has to leave the ship to go through passport control, although the car (and dogs) can stay on board. It’s a bit of a trek and no fun in the rain, or if you’re travelling with children or anyone with impaired mobility. The stop over used to be only where we changed vessel.