TonyMWeaver

Stena Takes Delivery Of Stena Estrid

Dublin Port departure schedule covers up to the 27th of Dec , no mention of her departing during that time , hence my question as to whether  she will  be do a berthing trial at Holyhead on her way from Spain before heading to Dublin  . 

RMT Press Office

SEAFARER Union RMT today raised alarm over Stena Line’s decision to register new Holyhead-Dublin ferry Stena Estrid on the Cypriot flag.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: “My members in Holyhead were looking forward to the arrival of the first E-Flexer ferry from China which will significantly increase passenger and vehicle carrying capacity on the Dublin route. " However, what should be a story of welcome investment in local seafarers and our maritime capacity now looks like another example of corporate greed following Stena Line’s announcement that the Estrid will be registered in Cyprus – a Flag of Convenience register that attracts shipowners through zero tax rates and minimum regulation, with the recent blessing of the European Commission.

“We are seeking clear guarantees from Stena Line over their long term commitment to seafarers and businesses in Wales, the UK and Ireland in light of this decision. Without unambiguous guarantees from the company over the collective bargaining agreement with RMT on Estrid and the Superfast X, we will be forced to conclude that Stena Line is seeking to cut operational costs at the expense of local jobs. "This is not only a test of Stena Line’s commitment to local seafarers’ jobs in the Irish Sea, it is also a wake-up call to trade unions and the Governments of Wales and the UK that vital maritime jobs remain under constant threat from the shipping industry’s business practices.”

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-raises-alarm-over-stena-lines-holyhead-dublin-ferry/?preview=true&fbclid=IwAR3S0OPljTil2uVMVW8uNMIXpTma9dvYn1sO3WQJtyMUO-tHi6BIKCIgNQU

I've read that she is being re-flagged to Cyprus, can anyone confirm if this is correct? In the photos I have seen, Cardiff is her port of registry.

If this is the case, will Stena Line be re-flagging all of the UK-registered ships? It would seem a terrible shame if they do...

3 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I've read that she is being re-flagged to Cyprus, can anyone confirm if this is correct? In the photos I have seen, Cardiff is her port of registry.

If this is the case, will Stena Line be re-flagging all of the UK-registered ships? It would seem a terrible shame if they do...

Says in the RMT press release that she is definitely being reflagged.

• Sad 1

On 20/12/2019 at 02:23, TonyMWeaver said:

RMT Press Office

SEAFARER Union RMT today raised alarm over Stena Line’s decision to register new Holyhead-Dublin ferry Stena Estrid on the Cypriot flag.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: “My members in Holyhead were looking forward to the arrival of the first E-Flexer ferry from China which will significantly increase passenger and vehicle carrying capacity on the Dublin route. " However, what should be a story of welcome investment in local seafarers and our maritime capacity now looks like another example of corporate greed following Stena Line’s announcement that the Estrid will be registered in Cyprus – a Flag of Convenience register that attracts shipowners through zero tax rates and minimum regulation, with the recent blessing of the European Commission.

“We are seeking clear guarantees from Stena Line over their long term commitment to seafarers and businesses in Wales, the UK and Ireland in light of this decision. Without unambiguous guarantees from the company over the collective bargaining agreement with RMT on Estrid and the Superfast X, we will be forced to conclude that Stena Line is seeking to cut operational costs at the expense of local jobs. "This is not only a test of Stena Line’s commitment to local seafarers’ jobs in the Irish Sea, it is also a wake-up call to trade unions and the Governments of Wales and the UK that vital maritime jobs remain under constant threat from the shipping industry’s business practices.”

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-raises-alarm-over-stena-lines-holyhead-dublin-ferry/?preview=true&fbclid=IwAR3S0OPljTil2uVMVW8uNMIXpTma9dvYn1sO3WQJtyMUO-tHi6BIKCIgNQU

Interesting that they didn't kick up a fuss when P&O registered all of their fleet under flags of convenience and I.F have done it for years.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2019 at 02:23, TonyMWeaver said:

RMT Press Office

Interesting that they didn't kick up a fuss when P&O registered all of their fleet under flags of convenience and I.F have done it for years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonno said:

Could be because Irish Ferries is a Irish company and what they do is nothing to do with any UK union as Irish ferries are base in Ireland.  I could be wrong on this.   But as regarding P&O some of the flags their ferries are flying are Nassau.   But what I don't understand the Bahamas isn't a EU Country so why is it P&O ships are register in the Bahamas and they are getting away flying these flags but the UK are not.   The other thing the RMT are kicking up a fuss now because they had enough.   Least with the French they do make sure all their ships which fly the French flag everyone is 100 % French 

Stena now warning passengers of a possible delay of Estrids maiden journey due to the weather.

Indeed. Tomorrow will be a rough one on the Irish Sea.  Met Eireann is forecasting a southerly force 8-9, occasionally force 10 for the area.  Having said that, Irish Ferries, Stena, P&O and Seatruck all appear to be sailing, although some are warning of possible disruption.  The wind direction will be on the beam for Holyhead - Dublin, maybe a little bit less so for Liverpool - Dublin, but still, crossings will be uncomfortable.

Well the Inishmore, Europe and Horizon all all alongside in Rosslare, SW 40kts at the moment.

6 minutes ago, captjack said:

Well the Inishmore, Europe and Horizon all all alongside in Rosslare, SW 40kts at the moment.

Estrid is nipping across at 20kts to Dublin but the Yeats appears lost... maybe Chris has took the helm!

• Like 1

Was just about to comment on Estrid's progress.  Jonno beat me to it.  She was two hours late leaving Holyhead but looks like she'll do the crossing in 3 hours.  Yeats looks as though it couldn't dock in Holyhead and is now going around in circles.  Stena's Foreteller got two thirds of the way across before turning to starboard, presumably to run with the following sea.  She's now done a 180 so she's heading into the waves. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

Was just about to comment on Estrid's progress.  Jonno beat me to it.  She was two hours late leaving Holyhead but looks like she'll do the crossing in 3 hours.  Yeats looks as though it couldn't dock in Holyhead and is now going around in circles.  Stena's Foreteller got two thirds of the way across before turning to starboard, presumably to run with the following sea.  She's now done a 180 so she's heading into the waves. 

Could Yeats be heading for the shelter of Benlech Bay?

57 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

Stena's Foreteller got two thirds of the way across before turning to starboard,

With a name like that I'm surprised she didn't see the storm coming. Ed. 

43 minutes ago, jonno said:

Could Yeats be heading for the shelter of Benlech Bay?

You would think.  Yeats looked as though she was going for Benlech Bay but then turned back as if for Holyhead.  Estrid has made it to Dublin Bay and it look's like she can't dock either.

10 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

You would think.  Yeats looked as though she was going for Benlech Bay but then turned back as if for Holyhead.  Estrid has made it to Dublin Bay and it look's like she can't dock either.

P&O are still saying that Norbay & Norbank will leave on time but I think Adventurer has been delayed... and what is Superfast X up to?

21 minutes ago, jonno said:

P&O are still saying that Norbay & Norbank will leave on time but I think Adventurer has been delayed... and what is Superfast X up to?

Wow, AIS reports that it is going from Holyhead to Belfast but it's well north of Belfast.  Looks like it was afraid to make a turn to port for Belfast and just kept going.

The frontal system has now passed Dublin. Winds are WSW force 4.  And Estrid looks like she is on approach to enter Dublin Port..