TonyMWeaver

Stena Takes Delivery Of Stena Estrid

2 hours ago, Buzzbee said:

Stena's Foreteller got two thirds of the way across before turning to starboard, presumably to run with the following sea.  She's now done a 180 so she's heading into the waves. 

Stena Foreteller operating confusingly enough for Irish Ferries. 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 13:05, Buzzbee said:

Was just about to comment on Estrid's progress.  Jonno beat me to it.  She was two hours late leaving Holyhead but looks like she'll do the crossing in 3 hours.  Yeats looks as though it couldn't dock in Holyhead and is now going around in circles.  Stena's Foreteller got two thirds of the way across before turning to starboard, presumably to run with the following sea.  She's now done a 180 so she's heading into the waves. 

We had to do a circuit of Dublin Bay first - Dublin Port wouldn't let us in!!!!

9 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

A lot more here now though ;).  I was lucky enough to be invited along to the maiden voyage.  Also got a bridge visit despite sailing in a storm!!  She's a good sea boat, that's for sure.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-estrid-first-look/

I've been looking forward to these Steve, been following your site closely and have enjoyed watching it expand. Thanks for sharing on BFE.

There's loads of internal space for a vessel with a sub 1000 pax capacity.

Even visually she looks a bit classier than WBY, even the loo's for the Plus Lounge, which, again for me, overlooking the bow is a fine idea on such a short sea route. My hunch is that this will be a self service or A la Carte aboard Galicia. I'm also hoping the sky bar is retained too.

I'm also now wondering if BAI will be adding balconies to their added deck 7 cabins in a similar way to those stern facing on Estrid's deck 8.

Looks like "Mission Holyhead" is a go... better tell the missus!

• Like 4

Just now, jamie said:

The Stena Edda is currently being filled with fuel.

Bet thats expensive....hope they take AmEx😂

On 16/01/2020 at 17:56, jonno said:

I've been looking forward to these Steve, been following your site closely and have enjoyed watching it expand. Thanks for sharing on BFE.

There's loads of internal space for a vessel with a sub 1000 pax capacity.

Even visually she looks a bit classier than WBY, even the loo's for the Plus Lounge, which, again for me, overlooking the bow is a fine idea on such a short sea route. My hunch is that this will be a self service or A la Carte aboard Galicia. I'm also hoping the sky bar is retained too.

I'm also now wondering if BAI will be adding balconies to their added deck 7 cabins in a similar way to those stern facing on Estrid's deck 8.

Looks like "Mission Holyhead" is a go... better tell the missus!

She's certainly more spacious than I expected and a significant improvement on the ship she replaces (the taste restaurant alone has capacity for over 300 which I believe is more than the met and truckers on SSFX combined!).  Edda and Embla will also be a big upgrade on Lagan and Mersey, which are already the best of the Visentini's from a passenger perspective.  One concern many I have been talking to who have been on her have is the lack of high backed seating onboard - even in Plus there are only a handful.  Unfortunately I couldn't get as many pictures as I would like due to there being quite a few people onboard.  Premium passengers were loaded onto Deck 5 (the freight deck), presumably because deck 7 is accessed via a tilting ramp towards the stern of the vessel and so there would be a delay in cars on that deck being disembarked.  Of course, that won't be an issue for the Brittany Ferries examples.  Speaking of which, you'll be glad to hear she was very quiet, vibration and rattle free.  Even aft.  She also coped with the storm conditions exceptionally well IMO which bodes well for the BF examples and Biscay!  The stores and galley are located on deck 7 forward of the green lift (which is also used as a stores lift with side doors for the purpose) and behind the restaurant.  The crew areas are midships and forward on deck 9.  Apart from that the design would appear to be pretty much a large blank canvas with stairwells and lifts located along the middle of the vessel.

I suspect that if they really wanted they could get more passengers in (and there's space for an extra lifeboat on each side as well remember). AFAIK there's well over a hundred additional seats in excess of her passenger capacity already, and that's not even factoring in the 175 passenger cabins.  It will be interesting to see what Brittany Ferries (and indeed DFDS) do with the space.  She's not perfect though (the lack of windows in Hygge seems odd for instance and perhaps points to it being a late addition), but my overall impression was that she is light, spacious, and well thought out.  No real game changing areas (though I like the idea of the movie lounge concept and EVERY ferry should have an atrium IMO) but a solid Ro-Pax that will certainly give Irish Ferries something to think about - even if FSG 777 ever arrives (and she looks to be very much a repeat of Yeats in terms of accomodation design with lorries in place of cabins).  

One of my favourite things was that the Wi-Fi actually works and is useable to the extent I was able to keep in contact through Facebook messenger!  There were people using video chat as well, even well outside of port!!!  There is no significant step from the vehicle deck on deck 7 to the stairwell and lift area - its raised a couple of cm above the vehicle deck level but not high enough to cause an issue for an electric wheelchair or buggy.  There is a portable ramp on hand but I'm not sure it would ever be needed.  Of course deck 7 its totally level with the passenger accommodation and a simple walk or wheel straight into Guest Services/Barista.  She's not perfect of course, but what ship ever is when it first enters service?

STENA EDDA was delivered five days early and two months to the day from Estrid's delivery.  All being well she should be in service for late-Spring and in advance of the summer peak.  The yard have been focusing on improving their processes and encouragingly appear to have learned from the build of Estrid and put those learnings to use.  I'm getting excited to see what BF have in store for us with GALICIA now.  I'm not expecting PONT AVEN, but have significantly raised my expectations from what they were!  Fit out seems to be to a very high standard, but that's what you'd expect from R&M.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

What odds on Galicia being in service before Honfleur?!

I think we started taking bets on that a couple of months ago.

Both Le Marin and Mer et Marine reporting this today jonno. For use on their Africa routes.

• Like 1

Groundhog day for her. She was purchased by SNCM before her stint with Seafrance but never saw service with them (I was once told they'd miscalculated what length of ship would fit the port they had in mind for her but I'm a bit doubtful of that). Corsica Linea are SNCM reincarnated so hopefully she'll actually see service this time.

On 05/02/2020 at 07:11, jonno said:

It would appear that with the arrival of Estrid, Superfast X is now surplus to requirements.

A previous rumour now seems to have been confirmed as @tarbyonline NI Ferry Site, is also now reporting that she's been chartered by Corsica Lines.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-superfast-x-chartered-to-corsican-operator/

The full press release

https://www.corsicalinea.com/content/download/2580/file/CP A NEPITA CORSICA LINEA 04022020.pdf

Renamed A NEPTIA to be fitted with additional cabins taking her complement up to 158 and a recliner lounge.  Also scrubbers.  Rumours the work will take place in Greece.  Marseille - Algeria over summer.

For the more observant of you the mockup is indeed Stena Superfast VII in Loch Ryan with her fins (poorly) photoshopped out!

On 04/02/2020 at 20:51, hhvferry said:

That funnel is such a weak, awkward finish to an otherwise fine looking design.

I like the funnel!

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1

Just to confirm the "balconies" are more like balcony access.  The outside deck's aft of deck 8 and 9 are accessible to everyone.  Bit of a trek mind if you don't have a cabin.  They are also connected to the sun deck above by steps.  Would probably be simple enough to make them private though unless there is some sort of health and safety reason not to (evacuation?).

I love the way the press release talks about 'modernising their fleet' with a ferry built 20 years ago. Ed. 

3 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

Renamed A NEPTIA to be fitted with additional cabins taking her complement up to 158 and a recliner lounge.  Also scrubbers.  Rumours the work will take place in Greece.  Marseille - Algeria over summer.

I don’t know how many cabins she had originally pre-Seafrance but I am guessing a return to original configuration with cabins where they would have been before? 

17 hours ago, georgem7 said:

I don’t know how many cabins she had originally pre-Seafrance but I am guessing a return to original configuration with cabins where they would have been before? 

Originally 626 berths in 179 cabins I believe so not quite the same.  

• Thanks 1

Estrid off service much of the day yesterday and cruising the Irish coast.  X and Yeats sailed on.  Suggestions her length combined with the tight turn into Dublin’s berth was is an issue in the weather conditions.  She took a break at Irish Ferries berth 49 for a while which would seem to support the theory.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Sad 1

Watching Edda steam up the Red Sea on AIS and her info reads "armed guards on board".😧